TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wii U (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=112591)

G 04-21-2011 04:34 PM

Wii U

Kaylx has more thoughts and ideas and he'd rather not clog the VG news thread.

#BROKEN Hasney 04-21-2011 04:43 PM

I've got a great idea: Wait until it's officialy announced so you don't dissapoint yourself.

#BROKEN Hasney 04-21-2011 04:50 PM

For crazy speculation I mean, not thread based fact reporting.

G 04-21-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Drakul http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/bu...n/viewpost.gif
Looks like it.

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Kotaku
Nintendo's next console will debut at E3 in June, moving the maker of Mario and Zelda into the HD era. The news, first reported by Game Informer today, confirms rumors that have been swirling for months in the wake of slowing game releases from Nintendo.

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

We've asked Nintendo for comment and will let you know if they shock us and spill the beans. Update: Nintendo responded to our inquiry with a standard "Nintendo does not comment on rumor or speculation".

E3 kicks off on June 7, though Nintendo's E3 press conference may occur the day before, if tradition holds. </td></tr></tbody></table>
Source.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Smelly Meatball http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/bu...n/viewpost.gif
More rumors concerning the upcoming Wii 2 involves a leaked early spec sheet, the project being named "Project Cafe", and the controller being compared to an iPad with buttons.

Rumored feedback from developers and insider sources who heard or seen the controller have them ranging from being completely amazed to believing it could end up as one of the best things ever created for video games. Also rumored was as weird and advanced the controller sounds, Nintendo will keep the costs low to fit their current affordability model.

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> The controller itself is said to include a 6" single touch screen, d-pad, "L and R," two triggers, and "others." The functionality of the Wii's sensor bar has now been integrated into the controller, which would mean that you'd just use your controller as a sensor bar for Wiimote gameplay. It would a sport a front facing camera.

Also, because it's Nintendo we're talking about here, the cost of this controller is said to be "modest" and we shouldn't expect iPad levels of power or performance here. They call it an "iPad with buttons" for lack of a better term. 01net's source also elaborated on the hardware specs of the console itself. </td></tr></tbody></table>
Also rumored was the 3DS could actually be a substitute controller for the new system in a similar way of how Wii games allow different controllers to be used.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/pics/ru...7_expanded.jpg
http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/8...details-outed/

</td></tr></tbody></table>
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/bu...n/viewpost.gif
Another mock-up:

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="800"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/st.../wol_error.gif</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280x739.</td></tr></tbody></table>http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/...5053115064.jpg

S'okay.

Anyway it seems Nintendo would give many older concepts of the GCN/GBA connectivity another go, this time all the tech is right there. We know the obvious FPS radar and Madden secret playbooks are coming... But what else can be done? And what AAA franchise will Nintendo put to work on the thing?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by RoXer http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/bu...n/viewpost.gif
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="523"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/st.../wol_error.gif</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 784x1796.</td></tr></tbody></table>http://i.imgur.com/zuH7x.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD http://www.tpww.net/forums/images/bu...n/viewpost.gif
A Kotaku write-up about Project Cafe's controller has a line that I likes a lot:

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Kotaku
In fact, you could think of the new Nintendo console as turning your living room into a glorified mega-DS.... your TV is the upper-screen; your controller is the lower touchscreen. </td></tr></tbody></table>
Project Cafe Official Thread, anyone? I have more thoughts and ideas and I rather not clog this thread.

G 04-21-2011 04:54 PM

Complete copy and paste job from that rip off thread ( :shifty: )

Kalyx triaD 04-21-2011 05:08 PM

Yeah so... We're all totally getting this, right?

OssMan 04-21-2011 05:12 PM

I can't wait to look at this thread in five year and feel the way I do today about the Nintendo Revolution

Extreme Angle 04-21-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3500182)

So it can gather dust like my Wii?... Maybe :shifty:

Kalyx triaD 04-21-2011 05:21 PM

To be honest, 3rd party support better be exclusive games - no ports. I'll just get the game for XB360 anyway. I want interesting games, and of course Nintendo classics.

Hard Corps and Moon Diver would be great on this thing, though; offline co-op where we can split off into our own adventures. And if ever a time for a Zombies Ate My Neighbors HD revival...

Emperor Smeat 04-21-2011 05:58 PM

Well if its true about Microsoft and Sony waiting till 2014, then Nintendo has at least 2 years of guaranteed 3rd party support but everyone is assuming all it means is all the PS3/Xbox 360 games are being ported over to the new Nintendo.

Nintendo did sign an exclusive agreement with Rockstar for at least 1-2 games (GTA V might be one) and with Kojima/Konami for another 1-2 games.

It also helps that Nintendo is starting to stock up on more studios as insurance if 3rd party studios decide to neglect them again.

Kalyx triaD 04-21-2011 06:06 PM

IGN has an article wonders if the new Zelda should be up-ported to Cafe. And I'm thinking, "Why? So you guys could bitch about how it's a port that doesn't take advantage of the new console?" Getting tired of IGN's shit.

Vietnamese Crippler 04-21-2011 06:18 PM

Oh, noes, one person's opinion means it's the whole site's opinion.

It's an opinion editorial, who gives a fuck.

Extreme Angle 04-21-2011 06:19 PM

can't wait till e3...

Vietnamese Crippler 04-21-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Project Cafe: The Tech Behind Nintendo's Next Console

New pricing, hardware, design, and release information uncovered.

April 21, 2011

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/social/ava...1302122507.jpgLevel 12

by Scott Lowe

More details of Nintendo's forthcoming console, codenamed Project Cafe aka Wii 2, have been revealed to IGN, including the system's estimated pricing, release, console design, processing architecture, and name.

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Since the manufacturing is taking place in Taiwan, the earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last month will not impact the console hardware as previously expected.

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

We contacted Nintendo representatives, but they declined to comment on "rumors or speculation."

For more on Project Cafe, stay tuned to IGN.com.
- http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html

Kalyx triaD 04-21-2011 06:30 PM

The whole site seems to have shit opinions, jus sayin.

G 04-21-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3500182)

mos def

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smelly Meatball (Post 3500223)
Nintendo did sign an exclusive agreement with Rockstar for at least 1-2 games (GTA V might be one)

get out of here. that would be like putting cod on one console. do you know how many sales they would be losing

Snowden 04-21-2011 08:06 PM

I loves me new consoles, don't get me wrong. But the tech only goes so far without actual games.

The Kinect is still probably the coolest technology on the market, but there's absolutely jack for it right now. Until games start getting announced for a new console/add on, I try my bestest to temper expectations.

That being said...it does look pretty awesome.

Emperor Smeat 04-21-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 3500269)
mos def

get out of here. that would be like putting cod on one console. do you know how many sales they would be losing

Yeah made the mistake of implying it would be exclusive. GTA V is just rumored of also being on a Nintendo console to go along with the usual PC, PS3, Xbox 360.

It could still have some sort of exclusive content but I doubt Rockstar is going to do episodes or add Mario/Luigi in the game as Easter eggs.

Droford 04-22-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.
lol

Will Nintendo launch in November with a smaller number of units to artificially hype up demand and make it the must buy item for Christmas OR WAIT TIL AFTER CHRISTMAS and launch with a larger number of units and more software when no ones gonna give a rats ass about it..?

If you pick option B you are a fucking moron

I personally hope they come up with a better name than "Stream". Id fucking call it the UNES with the U standing for ULTRA since this sounds like the first time they're actually going to do right with the console hardware since the fucking SNES. Just forget the N64/Gamecube/Wii ever existed, sort of like a reboot of the Nintendo Franchise after 3 lousy sequels. I remember the Nintendo 64 was originally going to be called the Ultra 64..

FearedSanctity 04-22-2011 04:45 AM

Forget the 64 ever existed? Yeah, OK

#BROKEN Hasney 04-22-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droford (Post 3500655)
lol

Will Nintendo launch in November with a smaller number of units to artificially hype up demand and make it the must buy item for Christmas OR WAIT TIL AFTER CHRISTMAS and launch with a larger number of units and more software when no ones gonna give a rats ass about it..?

If you pick option B you are a fucking moron

I personally hope they come up with a better name than "Stream". Id fucking call it the UNES with the U standing for ULTRA since this sounds like the first time they're actually going to do right with the console hardware since the fucking SNES. Just forget the N64/Gamecube/Wii ever existed, sort of like a reboot of the Nintendo Franchise after 3 lousy sequels. I remember the Nintendo 64 was originally going to be called the Ultra 64..

My brain... Lack of sense... Brain freeze... Must find intelligent humans... Might even make do with G...

Extreme Angle 04-22-2011 05:58 AM

Hasney has the MAXIMUM amount of rep (100,000+)

Droford 04-22-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearedSanctity (Post 3500659)
Forget the 64 ever existed? Yeah, OK

Why not? Just about every great game that was on the N64 has been remade either on the Wii, DS, 3DS or even the XBox.

Legend of Zelda, GoldenEye, Mario64, StarFox, Perfect Dark, Pilotwings (so..um that wasn't a great game but still)...Im sure there are more that Im missing but the point is made..

Drakul 04-22-2011 10:18 AM

Sort of cool mock up:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...4/40034725.jpg

Droford 04-22-2011 10:35 AM

thats the worst mock up ever

If it looks like that I hope Nintendo goes out of business

FearedSanctity 04-22-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droford (Post 3500695)
Why not? Just about every great game that was on the N64 has been remade either on the Wii, DS, 3DS or even the XBox.

Legend of Zelda, GoldenEye, Mario64, StarFox, Perfect Dark, Pilotwings (so..um that wasn't a great game but still)...Im sure there are more that Im missing but the point is made..

And they'd have been remade had they not even existed in the first place?

You've made a point, but it's one of the more retarded ones I've ever read

#BROKEN Hasney 04-22-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droford (Post 3500812)
thats the worst mock up ever

I finally agree with Droford

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droford (Post 3500812)
If it looks like that I hope Nintendo goes out of business

Well agreeing with Droford was a wild ride, but I think it's over now.

Droford 04-22-2011 09:01 PM

If you dont look back with such rose colored nintendo fanboy glasses, you'd realize that the N64 was garbage. The games cost MORE at the time than the PS games and they looked like garbage back then compared to PS and some Saturn games. Also the N64 was the start of the whole "No third party support" problem thats plagued Nintendo for the last 15 years. Just about every good N64 game you can think of was either Nintendo or RARE which was effectively Nintendo first at the time, 14 of the top 25 N64 games according to IGN are all Nintendo/Rare including the entire top 7, with the other 11 being crap like Madden/ASB/Tony Hawk ports from the PS. This has pretty much been the case with the Gamecube/Wii too.

The pinacle point of how to explain this is to remember playing Killer Instinct in the Arcades and seeing the ULTRA 64 logo pop up and think this is what games will look like on the next Nintendo console, only to end up with a crappy version of Killer Instict Gold actually making it to the N64, not to mention the horrid SNES version of the first that made it out (which I actually fucking bought..and even more pissed I lost the Killer Kuts Soundtrack CD that came with it)

Edit: I totally forgot about Blast Corps, but since it was RARE we'll never get a sequel/remake..damnit

FearedSanctity 04-22-2011 10:15 PM

So because the games cost more and the graphics weren't PS level the system was garbage and should be forgotten about completely? Are you serious? And wtf does it matter who makes the games? Nintendo's games aren't always perfect, but 90% of the time they're better than the shit obscure little 3rd party companies put out anyway. And your "pinnacle point" is a shit port? You can't be serious. That's RARE's fault, not the 64s.

Learn to play games for the fucking fun factor instead of how it looks.

FearedSanctity 04-22-2011 10:17 PM

PS3 should be trashed completely because it's expensive and a lot of its games are watered down 360 ports. We should completely disregard the franchises born on it like LittleBigPlanet and Resistance and focus solely on a few bad things

Kalyx triaD 04-23-2011 10:34 PM

Droford where's this animosity coming from?

G 04-23-2011 10:44 PM

he was molested as a child

Kalyx triaD 04-23-2011 10:45 PM

By fucking Mario?

#BROKEN Hasney 04-24-2011 02:45 AM

The most annoying thing about Drofords argument is that the N64; bar some crazy fog issues, had better 3D graphics than either the PS1 or the Saturn. Hell, I loved my Saturn, but especially the Saturn.

OssMan 04-24-2011 02:46 PM

The N64 had better 3D graphics, but PS1 looked more polished as a whole. They had FMV sequences and stuff. I just remember the Saturn having digitized graphics which I could never tell if they were good or not. Like it looked as if there were two real people fighting against each other in a fighting game but for some reason it didn't look right.

G 04-24-2011 03:24 PM

http://ui04.gamefaqs.com/99/gfs_13436_2_2.jpg

G 04-24-2011 03:26 PM

http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/S...ertainment.jpg

LoDownM 04-24-2011 03:41 PM

I got to play a Saturn once. Out of all my friends who played video game back then, only 1 person had one and he was hardly ever free to come hang out.

G 04-24-2011 03:48 PM

Yeah I also knew one kid who had one. Rarely went to his house, but did play some Daytona and Time Crisis.

Kalyx triaD 04-24-2011 06:24 PM

Saturn was alright. Guardian Heroes was the shit. And arcade perfect Capcom fighters, though some had to be imported, were very cool.

And like hell the PS1 was more polished than N64. That was the console of that era. PS1 didn't show it's chops until their 3rd generation games, that's also when Nintendo started doing weird shit that didn't pan out.

Sony got their shit together with the PS2, and Nintendo damn-there lost their minds with Gamecube. Microsoft threw their cards in at the time, and Sega had to bow out because Sony trumped them hard (it's been my personal belief that Sega never quite knew how to do the console thing).

Kalyx triaD 04-25-2011 03:26 AM

Project Cafe will be announced and playable(!) at E3.

Looks like Nintendo will own E3 for a second year.

Drakul 04-25-2011 03:45 AM

It had been said they'd show it at E3 but that's news to me that it'll be playable.

I'm wondering what launch games it'll have. LoZ: Skyward Sword most likely will be one of them just like TP was GC & Wii.
Other than that, I can't really say. I'd guessing a Starfox game will be among them. They revealed Kid Icarus with the 3DS so I think they'll reveal another underused franchise (Starfox) for this new console.

It would make use of the touch screen for your radar, ammo, health etc.

Droford 04-25-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3502180)
Droford where's this animosity coming from?

Well if Nintendo actually puts a console thats as good as whats being hyped up right now in speculation then I'll be happy. I was really worried they'd go with the "Its Wii but in HD!!" angle for the next console and it'd be 5 more years of the same crap we've had with the Wii (really good games from Nintendo and 90% shit from everyone else).

OssMan 04-25-2011 02:42 PM

Clearly nobody has played MADWORLD

Droford 04-25-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssMan (Post 3503195)
Clearly nobody has played MADWORLD

I have it. Boring and repetitive, id bee pissed if I spent 50 bucks on it

Emperor Smeat 04-25-2011 06:33 PM

Based on some reports and Nintendo's own schedule for their current fiscal year, the next Nintendo console won't be making a surprise late 2011 launch and the console itself won't have 3D ability although the controller could still have some sort of 3D capability.

The earliest launch date for the next console could also arrive at the same time as the rumored GTA V release date (between April to June 2012) so its possible GTA V could be a launch title.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/ninten...nt-be-3d/3072/

Another rumor has E3 being about 60% 3DS stuff, 20-30% next console stuff, and the rest for Wii games.

RoXer 04-26-2011 06:31 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3SJUm.jpg

OssMan 04-26-2011 06:39 PM

Fuck that GBA connectivity thing with Gamecube. I made my friend get his Gameboy Advance out so I could do the fuckin map thing with Tingle in Wind Waker thinking it would be a big help but it did nothing at all.

Droford 04-26-2011 06:39 PM

the Virtual Boy wasnt portable

FearedSanctity 04-26-2011 08:26 PM

And it's point for connectivity is that it's own controls will be able to connect to it?

Kalyx triaD 04-26-2011 08:37 PM

Two screens. The controller screen is touch-enabled so interactive prospect is increased. Essentially an HD console DS. Very cool.

Emperor Smeat 04-26-2011 10:52 PM

A few more rumors this time dealing with the games (and some 3DS stuff):

1) Nintendo and Rare contacted each other on the possibility of working on a few games for the 3DS but nothing worthy came out of those meetings. Microsoft is willing to let Rare make a new Banjo and Viva Pinata game for the 3DS.

2) Metroid is going to be taken out of the Nintendo Trinity as part of a cooling process for the series as Nintendo feels the series is starting to lose its appeal and support with consumers. Star Fox is rumored to become part of the Trinity.

3) Earthbound if it were to ever return as a series would be on a handheld as Nintendo flat out denied any chance of a console game being ever made.

4) Ubisoft is preparing to flood the new Nintendo with a ton of ports similar to what they did with the Wii. The studio rumored to be doing this wasn't actually named but based on Ubisoft's 3DS schedule, it is most likely them.

5) Retro Studio denies any hope of them working on a Zelda game or Eternal Darkness 2 game but Nintendo has bigger plans for the Star Fox series with the next console.

6) Screenshots of some of the next gen games are supposedly very beautiful due to using more colors than they typical "realism" colors popular on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/rum...re-of-metroid/

#BROKEN Hasney 04-27-2011 02:10 AM

I am pretty bored of baseless rumors already. It's like every second-rate site is just making up crap for page hits right now.

Droford 04-27-2011 09:04 PM

Im not feeling Star Fox on the same level as Mario and Legend of Zelda.

But I dunno what the 3rd one could be otherwise.

Kalyx triaD 04-27-2011 09:48 PM

I'm sorry you simply have no credibility in this subject. Must be a theme for you.

Droford 04-27-2011 10:06 PM

The first star fox, despite the SUPER FX MICROCHIP OMG LOOK AT THE 3D !!! was horrible...eh..maybe not bad but I dont look back on it that fondly.

I did like Star Fox 64, probably a top 5 Game on the N64.

Star Fox Adventures was garbage..pure and simple

Star Fox Assault was better than Adventures but it was still..average.

never played the DS game.

I assume this means that just like Star Fox 2 was started on the SNES but ultimately evolved into Star Fox 64, whatever Star Fox game they were working on for the Wii will now be moved onto the new system meaning no Star Fox game on the Wii.

Some "franchise" title.

G 06-07-2011 01:26 PM

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...1307462236.jpg

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/as...troller_01.jpg

RoXer 06-07-2011 01:27 PM

Wii University State A&M

G 06-07-2011 01:27 PM

"There was no picture of the console during the show."

"You saw it briefly in the initial video, but it wasn't the focus of the scene, This pic was taken from IGN who claimed Nintendo gave them an initial hands on before the reveal."

Kalyx triaD 06-07-2011 01:42 PM

That Lego game is an MMO, which makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't go into detail of their network. You don't go from choppy Mario Kart to being able to handle an MMO without some sort of improvements.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-07-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3545750)
That Lego game is an MMO, which makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't go into detail of their network. You don't go from choppy Mario Kart to being able to handle an MMO without some sort of improvements.

Source?

Every place I've seen has it pegged as a GTA-alike.

RoXer 06-07-2011 01:48 PM

and here i am thinking it was just a concept photo

#BROKEN Hasney 06-07-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoXer (Post 3545757)
and here i am thinking it was just a concept photo

Nah, Travellers Tales have talked about the game before. Just no-one gave a shit.

G 06-07-2011 01:55 PM

reggie just said that this is the new console, except that this show is for the controller.

1080p

Drakul 06-07-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

The new device will launch between April and December 2012, the company told reporters in Los Angeles without saying how much it would cost.
Source.

Kalyx triaD 06-07-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasney (Post 3545755)
Source?

Every place I've seen has it pegged as a GTA-alike.

He said it on stage. New articles on it yet, sorry.

Also, Nintendo will detail their online strategy this week. Probably a Round Table thing.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-07-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3545784)
He said it on stage. New articles on it yet, sorry.

Also, Nintendo will detail their online strategy this week. Probably a Round Table thing.

No he didn't, he said Open World. Which makes it sound like GTA as well.

Kalyx triaD 06-07-2011 02:28 PM

You may be right.

G 06-07-2011 06:00 PM

Wii U is 1080p; has HDMI out, internal flash memory, SD and USB storage support

by Ben Gilbert http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.jo...writer_rss.gif (2 hours ago)

While Nintendo was blowing minds this morning with the announcement of its new console, the Wii U, the company's Japanese press site was quietly releasing all the juicy specs of the upcoming machine that we hunger for. As mentioned during the presser, the console will output games in high definition, now revealed as ranging from 480i to 1080p. Moreover, the Wii U will output HD by employing HDMI.

As far as internal storage goes, it's still unclear whether or not the Wii U will come packed with an HDD, but the specs sheet does amorphously detail "internal flash storage," as well as an SD slot and the ability to use USB storage. Notably, the list points out that the USB storage will allow for external HDDs. And while the disc slot gives us the impression that Wii U games will be disc-based, Nintendo has yet to reveal its medium of choice.

Drakul 06-07-2011 06:02 PM

Reggie says what kind of disc they'll use in a GT interview in the E3 thread. An optical disc or something. I can't remember.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-07-2011 06:10 PM

He just said it was a proprietary disc. Wouldn't be shocked if it was DVDs again though.

Outside bet would be licensing HD-DVD patents and using that to create their own 50gb disc. That could work and it would be cheaper than paying Sony.

OssMan 06-07-2011 06:30 PM

So it looks like my Wii will be used only for homebrew and for playing games that I have saved on there and this new Wii U will be used for everything else. Right on

G 06-07-2011 06:45 PM

holla dolla

Emperor Smeat 06-07-2011 08:42 PM

Kotaku just posted the info they got from one of the chief designers for the system and it will use a BD-like disc at 25GB with internal harddrive being 8GB Flash memory but allows USB drives for external harddrive capabilities. Disc drive speed is fast enough that it won't need to be full of copied game data like with the PS3 due to its slow disc read speeds.

http://kotaku.com/5809701/wii-u-disc...e-25gb-in-size

Most of the sources are saying the chip is going to be from IBM and either be a 3 Core (majority of sources) or 4 Core (few sources) with each core at 3 to 3.3 GHz.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-08-2011 05:59 AM

I've slept on it and I feel slightly better about it. Not "stoked", but they'll have to create some new IP and/or price it under £200 for me to even consider it.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-08-2011 06:00 AM

So is Skyward Sword the only Wii game between now and WiiU?

Drakul 06-08-2011 01:12 PM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/knvRHt6txN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dirk Ziggler 06-08-2011 01:42 PM

What a disappointing hunk of shit this has become. Had a glimpse of hope that Nintendo would come up with something for 'core gamers. This looks like nothing more then an extension of the already existing Wii Console. I predict Epic failure and fewer console sales then the Gamecube.

Xero 06-08-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Bizkit (Post 3546788)
What a disappointing hunk of shit this has become. Had a glimpse of hope that Nintendo would come up with something for 'core gamers. This looks like nothing more then an extension of the already existing Wii Console. I predict Epic failure and fewer console sales then the Gamecube.

Same was said about the Wii.

It was an epic success.

Requiem 06-08-2011 01:46 PM

What a terrible fucking name.

Dirk Ziggler 06-08-2011 01:51 PM

Goto http://e3.nintendo.com/iwataasks/

And click the link that looks like this
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/_ui/im...ideo-promo.jpg

For some reason when I try to copy and paste the direct link to the video. It posts a totally different video.

Kalyx triaD 06-08-2011 02:00 PM

Technically, this can satisfy core gamers in terms of power and control. All we need to hear is their online suite. And even then, I'd say Nintendo addressed a lot of issues anyway. They just downplayed the core gamer stuff to advertise their controller.

Drakul 06-08-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Bizkit (Post 3546788)

It's, at least, on equal terms with the 360/PS3 in terms of power. It can read a disc faster than a PS3. I'm not sure what that means for us because I'm no tech guy, I just read it.
The games being shown are more for illustrative purposes so we see how things work.

The Zelda demonstration was in real time (You could change the camera and the lighting) and the "Bird in a Japanese garden" demo was real time too (you could change the weather among "other things" though I don't know what they were). That's pretty cool. Especially when you think that it was just a demo and that developers squeeze more out of a console, the longer the develope for it.

The console has a good 3rd party support too, now that they can actually put their games onto the Nintendo console without cutting back on content. Plus they sound as though they have actual online now.

This, along with what the pad can do sounds like more than an "extension" to me.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-08-2011 02:13 PM

"Real-time" demos mean crap with no gameplay to them/ Enemy routines and your animation all takes up system resources, games will look worse than that demo.

What Would Kevin Do? 06-08-2011 02:20 PM

INteresting that it's on equal terms with the 360 and PS3. Like I said in the E3 thread though, depending on its price, when compared with the price of the other next gen systems that will come out, who knows. I mean, it's showing Darksiders 2 and a new Ninja Gaiden, both games which will be on PS3 and 360. So are the hardcore fans going to want to shell out a bunch of money to buy a system that plays games their current systems can, or are they going to wait another year or two and use that money to buy the new Microsoft or Sony system that will inevitably be superior system wise?

Kalyx triaD 06-08-2011 02:41 PM

The next gen consoles will be stronger that's the way of things.

Point is when I look the Nintendo shelf in a store there will be things worth taking a look at, might even choose to get a multiplatform game on WiiU if it scores on a gimmick or two on top of matching the other versions.

This is basically the 128bit generation redux. Legit choices between the three consoles.

BigDaddyCool 06-08-2011 02:57 PM

looks neet

What Would Kevin Do? 06-08-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3546852)
This is basically the 128bit generation redux. Legit choices between the three consoles.

Exactly. Between the Wii U, the PS3, and the 360. The major difference is that the Wii U has the gimmick controller.

However, what happens when it's Wii U, new Sony system, new Microsoft system? The Wii U might have an edge over the ps3 and 360 with it's controller if everything else is comparable. However, if the new systems leave the Wii U in the dust, then it's just a repeat of Wii, PS3, 360. The games on the new Sony and Microsoft system may not have a comparable "multiplatform" version for the Wii U.

Of course, this is all moot, since the Nintendo fanbase will buy it anyway. Still, it just seems like Nintendo is lagging a generation behind. A lot of people may not care, and may care more about the gimmick than the games. I tend to buy systems based on the games I want to play though, and considering the majority of things that I'd want to play on the WiiU I could just as easily play on my PS3, means I'll never buy the WiiU.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash Nintendo, it's just an observation. Their goal seems to be "come out with a system that revolutionizes the current gen, while the other two come out with systems that start the next gen."

#BROKEN Hasney 06-08-2011 03:13 PM

I'd say the main difference is Nintendo games.

If I get this, it will be in spite of the controller, not because of it.

Drakul 06-08-2011 03:58 PM

The full testimonial from developers. We get told more about Tekken Wii U and they mention some other plans they have.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:715493" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Tags: <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com">GameTrailers.com</a>, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wii-u/715493">E3 2011: Extended Developer Testimonials HD</a>, <a href="http://pc.gametrailers.com/">PC Games</a>, <a href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/">PlayStation 3</a>, <a href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/">Xbox 360</a></p></div></div>

Emperor Smeat 06-08-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasney (Post 3546533)
So is Skyward Sword the only Wii game between now and WiiU?

If you mean only games from Nintendo then no since the Kirby game and a few others are still set to arrive either later this year to pre-Wii U launch. I think there is also the Zelda 25th anniversary collection still coming as well.

I know a few RPGs like Last Story and Pandora's Tower are still set for a release out of Japan and Dragon Quest X shouldn't arrive any later than early 2012. Those would also be going with the usual sports and other games the Wii normally gets each year.

Won't really know until the Tokyo Game Show what the final major Wii schedule of games will be although Nintendo did hint the system still will have some stuff for at least end of 2012.

Requiem 06-08-2011 05:35 PM

Still caught up on how fucking atrocious the name is. Wii U. Get the fuck out of here Nintendo. Hire some new people.

RoXer 06-08-2011 06:23 PM

my favorite

ohhh wii u
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-s...lly_design.png

#BROKEN Hasney 06-08-2011 06:26 PM

They're all doing it, fucking marketing chumps

PS Vita as well *shudder*

#BROKEN Hasney 06-09-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The dev of Ghost Recon talking to Destructoid about WiiU
"Rather than a machine having an account, each individual user has an account," he explained, saying that the system is "exactly" like XBox 360 gamertags.

Praise the lord.

Drakul 06-09-2011 04:35 AM

Good news.

Drakul 06-09-2011 05:22 AM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oo15iruRD9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note: The Wii U doesn't have feet, despite what the video says. It has to stay flat and can't be stood up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kotaku
Speaking to Kotaku earlier today, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that while the Wii U will still be compatible with Wii software, its predecessor's backward compatibility with the GameCube will not be making an appearance.

Source.

Oh well.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-09-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakul (Post 3547520)
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oo15iruRD9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note: The Wii U doesn't have feet, despite what the video says. It has to stay flat and can't be stood up.

Yeah, but the Wii thing came with a stand thing. It will probably do that again.

Dave Youell 06-09-2011 04:48 PM

I'm impressed,

What sort of range do you think that remote can work away from the unit?

Drakul 06-10-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gametrailers
There has been some, well, alot of speculation regarding how many Wii U controllers (or Wiipads, depending on who you ask) players will be able to use with the recently announced Nintendo system that comes out some time in 2012. Many noticed that in all of the pictures and video that Nintendo trotted out to publicize its new system, there never seemed to be more than one touchscreen sporting controller being used at any one time.

Nintendo, of course, neglected to address this during its E3 press conference which it held last Tuesday. Well now, in an interview with Nintendo’s main man Shigeru Miyamoto, it has been revealed that the Wii U will, in fact, only support one Wii U controller per system.

“Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system,” said Miyamoto. “If we got to an idea of having multiple, it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that. That being said, we are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friend’s house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible.”

So there’s the answer to that question. Since the announcement of the Nintendo Wii U, Joystiq has reported that Nintendo’s stock has dropped 10%, reaching levels the company has not seen since before the Wii was announced.

What’s your take on the Wii U? Does Nintendo have another hardware hit on its hands?

Source.