TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "100,001" Replies (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=99933)

Rock Bottom 07-21-2011 06:47 AM

If we were posting out of our asses, you're Jim Carrey.

Londoner 07-21-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAdamEvansFan (Post 3584188)
Ok.

People are posting out of their ass and it's time to step in on my post.

Such an ironic statement.

Aren't you supposed to be banned for a week, btw?:shifty:

Rock Bottom 07-21-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincharismark (Post 3584187)
It's funny you say that. WWE never had a problem with sponsors back during the Attitude era. If the sponsors were gonna walk, it would've been back when they were pushing the envelope. Sure, being PG makes them more attractive to sponsors, but WWE would find sponsors regardless. Did having DX make them unattractive to certain sponsors? Yes, but they also kept drawing in sponsors who knew WWE was popular enough to make them money. Success equals money, PG or not...

You're right, and I'll raise your point with another. I don't think Keith Stone gives a flying fuck about the PG era either. Also, I will bring this up again: t i m e s l o t.

Kiddy shit advertises at kiddy hours.

Beer and condoms at night.

VSG 07-21-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TL (Post 3584275)
Such an ironic statement.

Aren't you supposed to be banned for a week, btw?:shifty:

He is now.

Cool King 07-21-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 3584108)
I'll never understand how professional wrestling fans can accuse MMA of being "two guys groping each other on the ground" or essentially calling it gay. Biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black there ever was.

I tired to watch MMA once and during the fight, the two guys were in the missionary position, just basically holding each other for about fifteen minutes. Nothing else really seemed to happen in that fight. :-\

To me, that's more gay than say, for example, putting your hand on a guys groin for around five seconds, in order to lift him up for a gorilla press slam.

How else are you going to lift him up for it?

I have no problem with MMA though. I'm just adding my thoughts to the whole "MMA Is Apparently Gay" thing.

I have friends who enjoy MMA and one who is an MMA fighter, who also enjoys wrestling.

What Would Kevin Do? 07-21-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smelly Meatball (Post 3584151)
Didn't Dana White once verbally attacked the WWE or wrestling in general around the time UFC got really popular in the mainstream?

I know he previous attacked boxing and tried to get viewers away from that sport but I believe he tried the same thing with wrestling. I think there was even a report one year of how less people were signing up to be wrestlers since MMAwas the new big thing to do.

Not that I've heard. Granted he's said a lot of things I haven't heard, he always seems to be pretty "respectful" of WWE. Not like he loves it, but he openly says he wishes he could do their numbers.

What Would Kevin Do? 07-21-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 3584082)
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RuRNmKhuogc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol: the title of this mashup.

Seeing that image of DB, and some of the other images that are floating around, they really could make him badass. Why aren't they making him bad ass. He needs to snap.

Hell, just have him head stomp someone to death, that'll make him seem real bad ass real quick.

What Would Kevin Do? 07-21-2011 10:51 AM

And for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, it's the second to last move on this video. Not the best version of it, but still, gives you an idea.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ysbe-tSP7g0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine him feuding with someone like Mark Henry, and busting that out, and the ref stopping the match because Henry is out cold.

Xero 07-21-2011 10:59 AM

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...9odpo1_500.png

Mowes.

Kane Knight 07-21-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 3584125)
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but when people claim that going PG helped WWE, they mean sponsor wise...they were going to begin to lose a lot of sponsors if they continued with the TV-14 content.

They already HAD lost sponsors. A lot of the adverts on Raw returned only after they softened their image. Which was good, because they were running fifty engine sludge commercials per episode of Raw and it was getting silly.

And despite it being"past their bedtime," there are a lot of kids watching from the audience anyway, so clearly it's not completely counterintuitive.

It's not even just sponsors, though. Kids are big merch movers. While the parents are the buyers, the kids generally pick the stuff. Selling kiddy friendly material is a big boost. Mysterio masks, Jeff Hardy armwarmers (when he's not in jail or TNA), Cena merch, it's big business. Plus there's action figures, home videos, and plush pillows so the wrestling forum can spoon CM punk as they go to sleep...:shifty:

It's really worth pointing out the ratings were declining before any of this happened, and will likely continue to decline no matter what. Wrestling is no longer hot with the 18-3Xs anymore. Viewrship is still relatively strong in the demo, but not as good as it once was. Why? MMA certainly doesn't deserve all the credit but it deserves some. Partially, though, Attitude Era fans grew up. It's one thing to shout "Suck it!" When you're fifteen, but when you're thirty, it's just sad...Or possibly a sex crime. People moved on, and WWE failed to pull in a new crowd sufficiently.

captaincharismark 07-21-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Bottom (Post 3584276)
You're right, and I'll raise your point with another. I don't think Keith Stone gives a flying fuck about the PG era either. Also, I will bring this up again: t i m e s l o t.

Kiddy shit advertises at kiddy hours.

Beer and condoms at night.

Yeah, it's pointless to target the PG audience at an adult timeslot. Most of the sponsors for WWE are adult oriented anyway. So, in the end, WWE going PG really benefits nothing but merchandise. Every other aspect of wrestling now sucks due to the PG movement.

Besides, the only reason WWE wanted to go PG in the first place was to get Linda McMahon voted to the Senate. Having the squeaky clean image failed, so they might as well drop the PG crap...

Poit 07-21-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincharismark (Post 3584437)
Besides, the only reason WWE wanted to go PG in the first place was to get Linda McMahon voted to the Senate.

[citation needed]

RiX1024 07-21-2011 01:46 PM

Push Zack Ryder.

Gertner 07-21-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Bottom (Post 3584009)
I think you're right, Feared, with more of an emphasis on your latter statement that getting those viewers back isn't impossible and needs a lot of work.

The WWE had to fuck up to lose those fans. And that demographic is not the only one that exists contributing to the empty space left by all those viewers.

MMA has been around for a while now. Yeah, it's bigger now, but honestly, the only factor it could really play is in the absence of a good product. You could simply watch both.

MMA also cannot speak to every reason people in that demographic or any have watched or stopped watching wrestling.

And just as a tidbit, if I understand correctly, a big part of the emergence of staged wrestling was because original wrestling began to get stale and boring.

Yes, but wrestling was "cool" back then. MMA is what is in now. MMA was a clusterfuck during the Attitude Era and once Dana White took over it gave those 15-18 year old kids something more realistic, plus the personalities in MMA are pretty close to those in Wrestling. It's one thing for Stone Cold Steve Austin to say he's gonna kick your ass, but it's another thing for Rampage to do it, because it's actually happening.

The WWE is going through a transition. Instead of focusing on winning back old fans which I don't think they can, they should continue to focus on creating new stars, but just do a better job of it.

DAMN iNATOR 07-21-2011 02:16 PM

Bring back Triple H to in-ring action and have him win the WWE Championship in his first night back and have him hold it for 2 1/2 years straight...again [/James Steele style response]

Xero 07-21-2011 02:20 PM

<iframe title="Twitvid video player" class="twitvid-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=ZHJ0Q&autoplay=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Xero 07-21-2011 02:21 PM

<iframe title="Twitvid video player" class="twitvid-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=I7ODP&autoplay=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ermaximus 07-21-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Would Kevin Do? (Post 3584361)
Seeing that image of DB, and some of the other images that are floating around, they really could make him badass. Why aren't they making him bad ass. He needs to snap.

Hell, just have him head stomp someone to death, that'll make him seem real bad ass real quick.

I nominate Tyler Reks.

What Would Kevin Do? 07-21-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermaximus (Post 3584514)
I nominate Tyler Reks.

That'll work... But he needs to hold him by his dreads then.

Cool King 07-21-2011 03:15 PM

http://bitpoptees.1freecart.com/i/22...am-t-shirt.htm

Someone has made some CM Punk T-shirts.

RiX1024 07-21-2011 03:29 PM

Hire Chuck Taylor so he can scare the kids away.

RiX1024 07-21-2011 03:30 PM

or re-hire The Boogeyman to scare them.

tjmidnight420 07-21-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane Knight (Post 3584393)
They already HAD lost sponsors. A lot of the adverts on Raw returned only after they softened their image. Which was good, because they were running fifty engine sludge commercials per episode of Raw and it was getting silly.

And despite it being"past their bedtime," there are a lot of kids watching from the audience anyway, so clearly it's not completely counterintuitive.

It's not even just sponsors, though. Kids are big merch movers. While the parents are the buyers, the kids generally pick the stuff. Selling kiddy friendly material is a big boost. Mysterio masks, Jeff Hardy armwarmers (when he's not in jail or TNA), Cena merch, it's big business. Plus there's action figures, home videos, and plush pillows so the wrestling forum can spoon CM punk as they go to sleep...:shifty:

It's really worth pointing out the ratings were declining before any of this happened, and will likely continue to decline no matter what. Wrestling is no longer hot with the 18-3Xs anymore. Viewrship is still relatively strong in the demo, but not as good as it once was. Why? MMA certainly doesn't deserve all the credit but it deserves some. Partially, though, Attitude Era fans grew up. It's one thing to shout "Suck it!" When you're fifteen, but when you're thirty, it's just sad...Or possibly a sex crime. People moved on, and WWE failed to pull in a new crowd sufficiently.

Pretty much this. WWE had lost quite a few sponsors.

captaincharismark 07-21-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L L Cool G (Post 3584488)
Yes, but wrestling was "cool" back then. MMA is what is in now. MMA was a clusterfuck during the Attitude Era and once Dana White took over it gave those 15-18 year old kids something more realistic, plus the personalities in MMA are pretty close to those in Wrestling. It's one thing for Stone Cold Steve Austin to say he's gonna kick your ass, but it's another thing for Rampage to do it, because it's actually happening.

The WWE is going through a transition. Instead of focusing on winning back old fans which I don't think they can, they should continue to focus on creating new stars, but just do a better job of it.

I do think MMA took the audience WWE once had b/c of a stale product. It's more popular now since it has more credibility. Once wrestling fizzled out and peaked, fans wanted some more exciting and realistic. MMA has the appeal of WWE with none of the bad rep.

Saying WWE could ever get the old fans back is a stretch, but they have to do something radical in order to attract new fans. For starters dropping the PG label and trying new things not kid targeted...

Cool King 07-21-2011 04:37 PM

Punk. :heart:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2NAvDqglbAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Emperor Smeat 07-21-2011 04:58 PM

:lol: Triple H ignoring the Zack Ryder question.

:(

Juan 07-21-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...play_image.jpg

Vince McMahon was listed at #83 in hip-hop magazine XXL's list of The Swag 100. According to them, the list shows "the top 100 most swagged out people in the worlds of entertainment, business and politics."

DAMN iNATOR 07-21-2011 06:01 PM

'Good Lord! That's His Music!' (Bill Simmons' "The Sports Guy") column on ESPN.com

Wayyyyy too long to copy and paste the entire article and everything else but find the article at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6790423/good-lord-music

muffalufagus 07-21-2011 06:57 PM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2NAvDqglbAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tjmidnight420 07-21-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 3583176)
get rid if the pg shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Bottom (Post 3583398)
Stop the PG shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincharismark (Post 3584071)
Being PG doesn't help the shows out if most of the audience are adults.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincharismark (Post 3584184)
WWE using the PG direction not only screws the product up, but limits everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Bottom (Post 3584276)
I don't think Keith Stone gives a flying fuck about the PG era either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincharismark (Post 3584573)
For starters dropping the PG label and trying new things not kid targeted...

Vince: "I got it! Based on the overwhelming response of three of our viewers dropping the PG rating must be the answer to all our problems!"

John Laurinaitis: "We can't drop the PG rating. It's in our sponsor contract."

Vince: "What the hell? Who came up with that?"

John Laurinaitis: "You did, sir."

Rammsteinmad 07-21-2011 08:24 PM

For all the people who think dropping the PG will 'save' WWE, consider this: WWE didn't really turn PG until around 2008-ish... and for five years before that the internet has done nothing but bitch and whine about how the product sucks. Dropping the PG label and allowing blood and swear words will not instantly boost ratings. In fact, in this day and age, nobody will care except for the parents of all the children who watch WWE today.

Lock Jaw 07-21-2011 08:45 PM

@CMPunk
I just saw the Flash on a Segway.

@CMPunk
...and boy oh boy is @cobracommander out of shape.

Lock Jaw 07-21-2011 08:46 PM

@CMPunk
Look what Josh Adams made me!!!! yfrog.com/khgrbkhj

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg737/sca...=640&ysize=640

What Would Kevin Do? 07-21-2011 09:24 PM

You know what I love about TNA right now? Christy Hemme's ring announcing. She sounds like the old Pride announcer, and it's awesome.

Cool King 07-21-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 3583926)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8...5452591611.jpg

Lock Jaw 07-21-2011 09:53 PM

http://www.tmz.com/videos?**********...sShareURL=true

Droford 07-21-2011 10:12 PM

Why does the dumb ass referee do pushups with Steiner all the time...makes no sense.

What Would Kevin Do? 07-21-2011 10:12 PM

Holy shit, Dlo got fat.

Droford 07-21-2011 10:22 PM

Cody and Sarita lol

Sarita's mask actually just looks like a regular mask..bleh

captaincharismark 07-21-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammsteinmad (Post 3584744)
For all the people who think dropping the PG will 'save' WWE, consider this: WWE didn't really turn PG until around 2008-ish... and for five years before that the internet has done nothing but bitch and whine about how the product sucks. Dropping the PG label and allowing blood and swear words will not instantly boost ratings. In fact, in this day and age, nobody will care except for the parents of all the children who watch WWE today.

Dropping the PG label is only one part of the solution. They have to get back to what made them successful. Developing new exciting storylines while starting to come up with new characters/wrestlers. I'd be lying if I said I thought WWE being PG was the only problem they have. Is it limiting their material? Absolutely, but they have creative issues that are deeper than the PG limitation.

While I do think being PG is a huge reason why WWE is stale, not caring about the fans opinion is as much to blame for ratings. So, to claim simply dropping the PG label will solve everything is wrong. The only way WWE will see improvement is with MAJOR changes. Not being PG is only one part of the equation IMO...