TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Most Useless PPV Ever (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=129911)

hb2k 07-06-2015 03:41 AM

The Most Useless PPV Ever

For this week's podcast (and partly inspired by Slammiversary last week), we're going to debate the Most Useless Major Wrestling PPV show in history, and are looking for your suggestions for this esteemed honour.

So what is your ONE pick for the most completely irredeemable, meritless show you've ever seen, devoid of any quality, the one that sticks in your craw, and your explanation on why this takes the wooden spoon. As always the best nominations/explanations will be read on the show (which will be posted this weekend) and you'll be credited accordingly.

So which one is it for you?

EDIT - The podcast debating The Most Useless PPV Ever and discussing your nominations is now available to listen to here: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean....essPPVEver.mp3

johnsmagic 07-06-2015 03:53 AM

December to dismember is right up there

#1-norm-fan 07-06-2015 04:05 AM

The Heroes of Wrestling PPV was the worst thing ever but the legendary horrible, drunken Jake Roberts promo made it somewhat notable. I'm guessing you mean PPVs for major companies though and not one-off PPVs that never stood a chance though so with those guidelines...

December to Dismember is the first one that comes to mind. Even with a good tag match between the Hardys and MNM, the brand was nowhere NEAR ready for a PPV. Add that to the horrible booking of the chamber match and it was just a disaster in every way. WWE has run some pretty bad PPVs over the past 10 years or so but I don't think any have been as unremarkable.

Maluco 07-06-2015 08:32 AM

GAB 2005 had Luther Reigns vs Charlie Haas, Kenzo Suzuki vs Billy Gunn, Mordecai vs Bobcore and Sable vs Torrie Wilson, followed by a main event of Undertaker vs the Dudleys.

The show goes off the air with Paul Bearer seemingly dead, with Undertaker murdering him by covering him in concrete.

The only memorable (albeit funny/terrible) moment on the show and it went nowhere anyway. Instantly forgettable and extremely poor star power/match quality

Big Vic 07-06-2015 08:37 AM

WWE BattleGround 2013; This is due inpart to Hell in a Cell 2013 being right after the bookers were unsure over any other way to keep the Orton/Bryan feud going without going to a non-finish of Big Show attacking them both. No other titles changed hands, very forgettable PPV overall. Most unnecessary PPV in WWE History IMO.

At least with December to Dismember you had a good tag matches and the debut title reign of Bobby Lashley.

Big Vic 07-06-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maluco (Post 4661414)
GAB 2005 had Luther Reigns vs Charlie Haas, Kenzo Suzuki vs Billy Gunn, Mordecai vs Bobcore and Sable vs Torrie Wilson, followed by a main event of Undertaker vs the Dudleys.

The show goes off the air with Paul Bearer seemingly dead, with Undertaker murdering him by covering him in concrete.

The only memorable (albeit funny/terrible) moment on the show and it went nowhere anyway. Instantly forgettable and extremely poor star power/match quality

I think you mean 2004? I remember Taker fighting Hassan in 2005. Also didn't JBL and Eddie Guerrero have that match where eddie nearly bled to death?

Maluco 07-06-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Vic (Post 4661419)
I think you mean 2004? I remember Taker fighting Hassan in 2005. Also didn't JBL and Eddie Guerrero have that match where eddie nearly bled to death?

:y: yeah, my mistake, 2004!

hb2k 07-06-2015 10:22 AM

The bled to death match was Judgment Day. Bash 2004 (a great candidate btw) was when JBL won the belt.

Maluco 07-06-2015 11:01 AM

Yeah, judgement day was the bled to death. At GAB, we got the always underwhelming Texas bullrope match with a terrible finish to boot this time.

But to have Undertaker and Dudleys go on last and present it as the main event was awful and those undercard matches, even before they went on, looked awful on paper. The fact that Mordecai, Reigns and Suzuki flopped so badly after when they were the 3 guys supposed to be getting the firm pushes in this shows midcard, makes it even more forgettable.

The match that had Cena, RVD and Booker T was a throwaway opener.

Jazzy Foot 07-06-2015 02:08 PM

All of WCW's PPV post-fingerpoke except for Souled Out 2000 when Benoit won the title.

Simple Fan 07-06-2015 02:15 PM

Which was pretty much useless after he left for WWF.

Jazzy Foot 07-06-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by im just a fan (Post 4661525)
Which was pretty much useless after he left for WWF.

Well yeah but for that evening is was great to see him finally win the belt he long deserved.

The Condor 07-06-2015 02:52 PM

King of the Ring '95 without question. It's not even "train wreck good."

Close second is D-Generation X: In Your House

This show was a piece of shit with the only moderately entertaining things being a 5 minute Rock/Austin cluster fuck and TAFKA Goldust reading Green Eggs and Ham. Absolute worst of Shawn Michaels in my opinion.

Big Vic 07-06-2015 03:01 PM

We aren't including the UK PPVs right? All of them were useless.

Nicky Fives 07-06-2015 03:10 PM

December To Dismember is the first to come to mind for me.....

The Condor 07-06-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Edgar (Post 4661541)
King of the Ring '95 without question. It's not even "train wreck good," and nothing of any real consequence took place.

Close second is D-Generation X: In Your House

This show was a piece of shit with the only moderately entertaining things being a 5 minute Rock/Austin cluster fuck and TAFKA Goldust reading Green Eggs and Ham. Absolute worst of Shawn Michaels in my opinion.

The Condor 07-06-2015 03:22 PM

Nailed it, Crazy Edgar.

DAMN iNATOR 07-06-2015 05:29 PM

It's got to be December to Dismember. I'd call it a horrible joke of a PPV, but that would be an insult to horrible jokes worth being remembered.

Droford 07-06-2015 05:44 PM

WCW Uncensored 95

Main event was Hogan vs Vader in a strap match but it wasn't even a title match cause it was all un sanctioned despite there being a tag title match earlier.
plus the shitty ending of Hogan winning by dragging Flair to all 4 posts after flair took the strap off Vader is the most retarded finish to a match I've ever seen.

Bad News Gertner 07-06-2015 05:44 PM

WCW Great American Bash 1999. That was the moment that I knew the company was done.

Rick Steiner beat Sting in a Falls Count Anywhere match when Sting was attacked by friggen dogs.

Flair beat Piper via dq with the winner becoming President. Flair and Piper had already been trading that title back and forth

Nash beat Savage by dq when Sid interfered in the main event

But we were treated to Mikey Whipwreck vs Van Hammer in a "Bonus Match" aka "someone at the booking meeting forgot the ppv's usually run longer than an hour and a half so we are just going to throw this match on"

Savio 07-06-2015 08:23 PM

If we are counting PPVs outside of the WWE than it has to be Slammiversery 2015

DAMN iNATOR 07-06-2015 11:01 PM

"Weekday"/"Weeknight" PPV's seem kinda "wack", too..."This Tuesday in Texas", "Taboo Tuesday" both right up there. Even with voting in "Taboo Tuesday", both 2004 and 2005, most if not all the votes were quite probably rigged.

The Condor 07-06-2015 11:23 PM

I quite enjoyed This Tuesday in Texas.

Savio 07-06-2015 11:32 PM

I honestly don't think WWE riggs their votes

slik 07-06-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Edgar (Post 4662119)
I quite enjoyed This Tuesday in Texas.

You are soooo crazy!!

Savio 07-06-2015 11:42 PM

I am not sticking up for December to dismember because it was AWFUL. But the thread is about "uselessness", not "awfulness"

DAMN iNATOR 07-07-2015 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savio (Post 4662121)

If everything wasn't so heavily scripted, I'd be inclined to agree, but even the ones which weren't rigged on those shows directly, I'm almost positive they did indirectly through having a pre-rehearsed plan for each possible outcome.

Dark One 07-07-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 4662195)
If everything wasn't so heavily scripted, I'd be inclined to agree, but even the ones which weren't rigged on those shows directly, I'm almost positive they did indirectly through having a pre-rehearsed plan for each possible outcome.

I can't speak to Raw/PPVs, but...

A live show I went to earlier in the year was showing the usual filler bullshit tweets and whatever before it started. Then they put up a picture for a Twitter vote for the Divas match, which was like a singles match between two main roster divas or a tag match with a couple of NXT divas mixed in.

Literally five seconds after that, they flashed up a results screen with it like 18% to 82% in favor of the tag match for a few seconds.

Guess what the result was two hours later?

DAMN iNATOR 07-07-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark One (Post 4662207)
Literally five seconds after that, they flashed up a results screen with it like 18% to 82% in favor of the tag match for a few seconds.

Guess what the result was two hours later?

Hmm, gee whiz, I haven't a clue...:shifty::roll: LOL

Big Vic 07-07-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 4662195)
I'm almost positive they did indirectly through having a pre-rehearsed plan for each possible outcome.

No debating that.

But usually when you get the votes its like:
"What Match stip will Dean Ambrose and Bray Wyatt have?"

1. Falls Count Anywhere
  2. Extreme Rulez
  3. No DQ

Evil Vito 07-07-2015 09:08 AM

<font color=goldenrod>I have my doubts that WWE have plans for every possible outcome. They normally set the poll in such a way that it's beyond obvious what's going to win. And if there is any doubt at all as to what the winning option will be, they used to have Lawler urge the fans a certain way and be like "well, I know which way I'm voting but think we should all SEE (C) which option wins. Let's SEE if the WWE Universe SEES this the same way I do."</font>

Evil Vito 07-07-2015 09:09 AM

<font color=goldenrod>Although it was admittedly hilarious when there was a voting screw up which led to the obvious Evan Bourne vs. Sin Cara match that everybody wanted to see being changed to Evan Bourne vs. Mason Ryan. It was clear they had no idea what to do in that match.</font>

Droford 07-07-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

I think a former worker or something said they basically don't rig votes but they make the choices what they are to influence the outcome with a certain degree of certainty.

DAMN iNATOR 07-07-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Vic (Post 4662372)
No debating that.

But usually when you get the votes its like:
"What Match stip will Dean Ambrose and Bray Wyatt have?"

1. Falls Count Anywhere
  2. Extreme Rulez
  3. No DQ

Yrah, but on RAW, it seems like more than anywhere else they do this stupid "let's subliminally have them vote for the obvious one, lulz!" "vote-bait" that really fucking pisses me of. Who the fuck are these people to insult my and everyone else's intelligence?

I mean, a lot of them haven't even been necessary. Let's say this is the late '90s, Attitude Era, just for a second.

"WHAT TYPE OF MATCH SHOULD MICK FOLEY HAVE TONIGHT?"

A.) Normal match
B.) Tag Team match
C.) Hardcore match

And then they make it worse by having Lawler or one of the other commentators in the ring to reveal the vote, and they stall for time when they know we all just want them to get it the fuck over with and have the damned match. And the over-the-top feigned "surprise" @ the vote outcome, yeah, that's a real winner. "WOW, THE HARDCORE MATCH GOT 99%?! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!"

Give me a fucking break.

#1-norm-fan 07-07-2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savio (Post 4662131)
I am not sticking up for December to dismember because it was AWFUL. But the thread is about "uselessness", not "awfulness"

It was pretty useless too. Unless you count Bobby Lashley's title win as a major moment. The rest of the PPV meant nothing.

Savio 07-07-2015 10:48 PM

Hardys reunited on that PPV right? I see BattleGround 2013 as more useless

#1-norm-fan 07-07-2015 10:50 PM

They had already been teaming together again for a month or two. Since after Survivor Series I think.

DAMN iNATOR 07-07-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 4662735)
It was pretty useless too. Unless you count Bobby Lashley's title win as a major moment. The rest of the PPV meant nothing.

Lashley was a joke by that point in hix career. I think they proved that 4 months later at Backlash 2007 by having Mr. McMahon beat him in a 1-on-3 Handicap ECW World Title match with him v. Mr. McMahon, Shane McMahon, and Umaga.

https://uselesswarrior.files.wordpre...uperstar-2.jpg

I'm sorry, but Vince in a sweater, doorag, sweatpants and wearing the ECW title, and not even the later redesigned platinum one, just makes him look like SUCH a douchebag. I love Vinny Mac to death, but come on...he didn't need that belt.

SlickyTrickyDamon 07-08-2015 12:26 AM

Anything not involving #HABM. Hero is a half man. Midget Power. Get well soon J Styles!

Big Vic 07-08-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 4662761)
Lashley was a joke by that point in hix career.

No way. He was being pushed hard in the "Battle of the Billionaires" thing.