TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   computer help forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Clicking CD-RW drive... (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=17371)

Kane Knight 07-24-2004 03:08 PM

Clicking CD-RW drive...

Yeah, I'm looking for the documentation in case I have to return it, I'm trying to look into shit.

My CD-RW drive has been failing a lot lately. Near the end of its burning cycle, it starts clicking. actual physical clicking sound, and the burning process slows down, sometimes failing entirely.

It only happens in the process of burning. I've had no problem reading/ripping.

i'm basically just looking for any possible solutions, because I can't find the documentation right now, and don't know if this is still "under warranty."

I'm also wondering if this is something cleaning might remedy.

V 07-24-2004 03:13 PM

Usually warranties last at least a year, do you really need the documentation? Just call the people you bought it from and ask them what to do, if it's making a clicking sound, i'd assume something is seriously wrong with it.

DS 07-24-2004 06:16 PM

I think I had that same problem with my CD-RW drive and when I took it out of the case a piece had come apart from it. I never got it to work after that and pretty much just got a new one. Go to the website of the company who made it or your computer and try their support. :(

#BROKEN Hasney 07-24-2004 07:26 PM

Yeah, a lens clean can sometimes do it, but usually it's the laser coming loose orsomething at the end. If you're confident with opening it up or it's a lost cause otherwise, just crack it open and see if any screws need tightening. I know thats what was wrong with my old drive.

Also worth checking is the brand of the CD. Have you tried more than one or have you sticked to one lately? I know I made a dumbass mistake last week and bought 74 min CDs and tried burning 80 mins on it and the overburn made it click a lot.

Kane Knight 07-25-2004 02:58 AM

These are the same CDs I've used for a while. I thought it might be trouble reading the batch, so I switched off to some others. No dice.

Anyhow, I believe the warranty was greater than a year, but to be honest, I can't remember when I purchased it, and I kept the receipt near the manual (and conveniently lost both). :|

KleptoKlown 07-25-2004 04:54 AM

what type of cd-rw drive?(aopen, lg, benq etc etc)

some manufactures, you can find warrenty info right on their site from the serial number

if its clicking..and still under warrenty, dont bother fucking around with it, just get it replaced

Kane Knight 07-30-2004 02:05 AM

Sony. I'll crack open the case (not literally) and check the side.

Vega 07-30-2004 02:25 AM

My regular DVD-Rom drive does that all the time when trying to read, sometimes takes a long ass time to open somehting.

KleptoKlown 08-02-2004 03:45 PM

hmmm, the shop I work for doesnt deal in sony products, so I dont know off hand what the warrenty on them are, but the drives usually have the manufacture date stamped on the top of the drives somewhere...which usually means you gotta take out a couple of screws, look on the big sticker on the top, and if the date is anymore than a year, you may be SOL as far as warrenty replacement goes.