TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Baron Corbin (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=132905)

Lock Jaw 02-12-2017 11:33 PM

Baron Corbin

I have noticed that he is a very divisive individual on this board..... so let's settle the score once and for all.

Yay or Nay

Evil Vito 02-12-2017 11:34 PM

Yay. Corbin rules.

Ruien 02-12-2017 11:34 PM

ATM, nay. He has the ability to grow though. Just isn't there yet.

Lock Jaw 02-12-2017 11:35 PM

I vote "Yay".

One of my current "dream feuds" is Randy Orton vs. Baron Corbin...... RKO vs. End of Days, etc......

Ruien 02-12-2017 11:37 PM

I feel this will be 66% yet. The announcers have been building him up very well and his beatdown on Dean tonight was impressiv. But I just find him so boring.

SlickyTrickyDamon 02-12-2017 11:54 PM

Yay. I think he has it. People mistake boring for cool, calm and collected. He's the kind of person who has to stay in control or he'll do something he'll regret.

Tom Guycott 02-13-2017 12:01 AM

Nay, with qualifiers.

While I have no real problem with Baron, and *really* actually hope he "makes it", he has never really shown the talent equal to the presentation they have put into him from jump, even in NXT (anything longer than a squash exposed him). He has slowly improved- from drizzling shits to mildly palatable. His matches are boring, his promos are meh, and he overall seems like he doesn't care. And I don't mean in an 'amoral character portrayal' way; I mean he seems like he doesn't want to be there most of the time, but he gets paid way too well to quit. Hopefully, he will continue to improve. However, from day one, he has been pushed for simply being tall and having "command presence"... but at least they didn't try to heap the whole company on the guy from the get go.

He has the potential to be there one day, but today is not that day.

Simple Fan 02-13-2017 12:08 AM

I like Corbin. Would like to see them embrace the motorcycle more in to his gimmick. Like a hipster American badass type is what I'm envisioning. Makes for a good mid card heel at the moment and him and Ambrose could have a good program.

EazyMack 02-13-2017 12:10 AM

Definitely YAY.

Great dark charisma. Great in-ring ability, especially for a big man. Great move set. Believable character. Everything about him is yay.

Here's hoping for an IC win at Mania.

Wishbone 02-13-2017 12:22 AM

Nay. The dude just doesn't have an intimidating enough look or voice to pull off the gimmick he's been given. Looks like some punk frat boy playing biker.

That said I think he does have some form of talent, but the gimmick he's working with just isn't right for him, and he needs someone to seriously help him with his look because good god he looks goofy as fuck.

drave 02-13-2017 06:30 AM

7.4/10 - needs more beard.

Big Vic 02-13-2017 06:33 AM

Fuck a binary choice? I can't choose anything to 100% now. We need more choices.

Shisen Kopf 02-13-2017 07:26 AM

He's no Chuck Palumbo

screech 02-13-2017 07:32 AM

He's improved a bunch since NXT, and his beatdown on Dean last night was good.

But he bores the shit outta me. I think it'd help if he'd say fewer words. I don't know. I want to like him, but for now I say nay.

DAMN iNATOR 02-13-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shisen Kopf (Post 4927658)
He's no Chuck Palumbo

Sorry but I don't remember him...:shifty:

I vote "yay".

Jordan 02-13-2017 08:48 AM

I'm saying Yay, he's getting to a point where he can be dependable to be entertaining.

Maluco 02-13-2017 08:59 AM

Love entrance - both music and badass tron
Love deep six
Love end of days

And to be honest, I like his look, he is naturally grungy/evil looking and i dig it. Definitely my current favorite on SD Live, along with AJ.

And last night showed a guy progressing. It was a great showing. I think if he ups the aggression and really gets more volatile and a bit darker with the whole lone wolf thing, they are onto a winner.

So many failures from NXT, I think he is doing really well so far and he has been built really well up to this point.

An IC title win is a great next step.

I think the naysayers are focussing on his poor mic skills, but he is improving in the ring constantly and last night was a great showing. He looked unstoppable. He is a big dude and he has great agility and a moveset I mark for. Definitely more positives than negatives.

slik 02-13-2017 09:06 AM

Lone Wolf Baron Corbin ONLY

Big Vic 02-13-2017 09:08 AM

I buy his character just wish he was a better talker. If he can improve in that then I can get behind him.
Wish he wouldn't do any poses on the ramp, doesn't seem to fit him.

Destor 02-13-2017 09:11 AM

Nay. But a soft nay.

Ol Dirty Dastard 02-13-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 4927683)
Nay. But a soft nay.

We line up pretty good.

I dind't see the match tonight and haven't seen much so I can't take a HARD line but I've seen enough to know he wore his own branded t-shirt during the royal rumble and I couldn't take him seriously.

And he's also bland as all hell.

I'm happy Ambrose has something for Mania. I know he's not had a great past year performance wise (though I mean he's had some great stuff, just a lot of MEH with the poor booking) but he's a guy who's toiled around for years and deserves to be consistently featured even if he's not a TOP GUY.

EazyMack 02-13-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Vic (Post 4927682)
I buy his character just wish he was a better talker.

He's on the articulate side. He's not a colorful personality - his persona is much more lone-wolf-esque. But he speaks well and sounds like a thinker. I think it works well for him.

The CyNick 02-13-2017 04:55 PM

Easy Yay. One of the best pure talents to come out of NXT.

Savio 02-13-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyMack (Post 4927833)
He's on the articulate side. He's not a colorful personality - his persona is much more lone-wolf-esque. But he speaks well and sounds like a thinker. I think it works well for him.

I think a few shots of whiskey would calm his nerves before a promo.

Ultra Mantis 02-13-2017 05:45 PM

More like Baron Borinc, right?

Emperor Smeat 02-13-2017 06:02 PM

Yay.

Promo quality is still a big weakness but he's been slowly improving overall since his call-up.

He's currently in the right spot as a mid-carder to upper mid-carder. Has the potential to become a legit main eventer for the brand with another year or two worth of development.

Mr. Nerfect 02-13-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 4927683)
Nay. But a soft nay.

I find myself agreeing with this. I can see what the WWE sees in him. Once upon a time, The Undertaker would have given off similar vibes, I imagine. They just haven't found a presentation that isn't "look how boring I am."

That being said, he's not my cup of tea. He's functional. Like a Bradshaw, only not as good at talking. He's a legitimate athlete, but they need him to wrestle in a shirt because his belly-button makes it look like he has the Gruffalo living inside him. They need to work out some attire that covers him up but doesn't make him appear lanky. Weird as this sounds, I also think he should be a babyface so he can be led through matches by veterans. You just have to find notes that he can connect on. Jericho vs. Corbin would be a great feud once they are done with him vs. Owens.

Mr. Nerfect 02-13-2017 06:13 PM

Corbin needs to shoot vignettes of him at a bar shooting philosophical with guys before someone comes in and is mean to a lady and Corbin steps up and shoves a pool cue up their ass and whispers "Get out of here before I give you The End of Days through this table" and they run off and the lady is like "Please make out with me Baron" and he's all "...No, I've got stuff to do" before he takes his leather jacket and rides his motorcycle off into the night.

KIRA 02-13-2017 06:14 PM

Baron is a presentation and a finisher in between those two things he's just so vanilla.

I can see why they like him but still he's so blah

I'll say yay but ease into him talking.

He does get little things and thats great like when DB sarcastically asked him on SD not to punch Miz in the face Corbin turns really menacingly and walks toward Miz a bit that was awesome.

Cool King 02-13-2017 06:45 PM

Nay.

The guy is the drizzling shits.

He's the most boring wrestler I have ever seen. He's the only negative about SmackDown and I really think going back to NXT would do him a world of good.

Stickman 02-13-2017 07:16 PM

He needs a manager.

EazyMack 02-13-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickman (Post 4927887)
He needs a manager.

Perhaps an advocate...?

Outsider 02-13-2017 07:20 PM

Nay.

Lacks any charisma and the lack of reaction when he comes out is showing how little he is managing to connect to the audience.

In the ring, he isn't bad, but he isn't good either. He can put on a passable match but has never done anything exciting.

He is basically a return to the bad old days of wrestlers being pushed to the hill just for being big. He has nothing special and given how many people lower down the card, in NXT and elsewhere do have talent, he is just a waste of a spot.

Sorry Baron.

The CyNick 02-13-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outsider (Post 4927891)
Nay.

Lacks any charisma and the lack of reaction when he comes out is showing how little he is managing to connect to the audience.

In the ring, he isn't bad, but he isn't good either. He can put on a passable match but has never done anything exciting.

He is basically a return to the bad old days of wrestlers being pushed to the hill just for being big. He has nothing special and given how many people lower down the card, in NXT and elsewhere do have talent, he is just a waste of a spot.

Sorry Baron.

lets see how far he goes

Outsider 02-13-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The CyNick (Post 4927892)
lets see how far he goes

I get the feeling he will be pushed for a while, eventually they'll realise he isn't getting over and crash down the card.

My prediction: post-Wrestlemania release 2019.

Then again, they've still not given up on Reigns....

EazyMack 02-13-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outsider (Post 4927897)

Reigns would get over as a heel. WWE just refuses to do this because it might hurt his merch sales amongst the kids. (My speculation.)

Baron is already a heel. And he is getting crowd reaction... I have no doubt he'll get over.

The CyNick 02-13-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outsider (Post 4927897)
I get the feeling he will be pushed for a while, eventually they'll realise he isn't getting over and crash down the card.

My prediction: post-Wrestlemania release 2019.

Who has led the company during a growth period. So hopefully Corbin is similarly successful.

Tom Guycott 02-14-2017 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shisen Kopf (Post 4927658)
He's no Chuck Palumbo

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 4927663)
Sorry but I don't remember him...:shifty:

I vote "yay".

OoohhhhHHHHHHhhhhhh... okay, I get it.

But he definitely is no Scott Norton.

Sepholio 02-14-2017 01:20 AM

No one is Scott Norton. Except Scott Norton.

And Chuck Norris.

drave 02-14-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 4927869)
Corbin needs to shoot vignettes of him at a bar shooting philosophical with guys before someone comes in and is mean to a lady and Corbin steps up and shoves a pool cue up their ass and whispers "Get out of here before I give you The End of Days through this table" and they run off and the lady is like "Please make out with me Baron" and he's all "...No, I've got stuff to do" before he takes his leather jacket and rides his motorcycle off into the night.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VXL4IoX3gT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>