View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Kane Knight
Ron Paul 4 EVA

Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
A Young Superman....

Right, so, does anyone think there's any market for a less perfect young Superman?

One of the things that kind of bugged me with Smallville is Clark Kent never really grew into the part. There's few missteps that can't be accounted for by shit like red kryptonite. Since this is the modern take on a young Kent's journey from boy to Superman, I thought it'd be more interesting to see a less paragon-esque Clark.

It doesn't have to be the "Spider-Man" route, where he's kind of a jerk until something bad happens, but really, what kid doesn't want to bust loose? And what kid under special restrictions doesn't want to bust loose even more, especially as a teenager?

Note I'm not really asking for "accuracy's sake," because we throw out realism the minute we have guys who can fly and microwave shit with their eyes. I just think it'd be more interesting to see a young Superman actually screw shit up without some sort of twinkie defense.

This may have happened in the comics; I don't know. I was never a big reader of Superman comics, but I know they've explored a lot of shit. Also, I pick on Smallville specifically because the only other show I know about that did this was Superboy, and I never saw that. Didn't seem to have that theme.

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”

--John Rogers
Kane Knight is offline   Reply With Quote