View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
Bobo

Bobo does not have that much rep yet (10+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post
There is no way Chris Jericho, Edge or Rob Van Dam were as big a star as Triple H. They were each very, very over and had amazing careers, but Triple H was arguably the #2 guy in the company at one point while Austin was injured. He and Rock were a huge part of carrying the WWE through during its most profitable period. Guys like Edge and Chris Jericho were extremely over in the mid-card and gaining momentum, but it was Triple H's show.
I have to respectfully disagree. HHH may have had the main event status but it sure as hell not on merit I.e. Based on his skill, technique, charisma etc.

He had the look of a decent star in the vein of Hogan or Rock but he didn't have their star power. Now I'm not saying edge and Jericho were in the same category as Hogan but they were not too far off the mark and in any case had a better skill set than Hunter could have ever acquired.

Like I said where was the skill in hitting people in the head with a sledgehammer or a knee to the face? DX only worked because of HBK and HHH only got places in the company through marriage and before that the Kliq.

It's not like millions of kids worldwide were tuning in to watch Triple H and pester their parents for his merchandise like they did with Hogan, Austin, Rock and now Cena.

I never said HHH wasn't a big star he was, but I don't consider him ever being the face if the WWE I.e. The one person who transcended the company whom everyone knew. People today who know nothing about wrestling can at least name Hogan and Rock and then at a stretch Ric Flair, Steve Austin and John Cena. Triple H was never in that category and neither were Edge or Jericho or RVD. Hence why I thought it was rich of HHH to criticise them for not being the face of the WWE in the manner of say Hogan or Rock when HHH never really enjoyed that sort of fame either.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote