View Single Post
Old 06-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #3388
Evil Vito
President of Freedonia

Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A-G View Post
Wait, did I miss this match being advertised? I know Punk's appearance was hyped, but I didn't expect you to put him in a match right off the bat. I'd have made Punk's return speech the main event segment with Daniels coming in to make a challenge for the next show, then do MJF's interruption. I feel that was something that the WWE would do well when they were hyping up something huge and they strung the viewers along to keep them tuned in to the very end. Of course, HHH/Steiner falls into that category so they can't all be winners. This main event was a winner, though. I think I can remember a few of their matches from way back when on the indies. It's just so weird seeing these guys who were so unknown. Kind of like that underground band you love, you know? Now Punk is making more money than he every would've imagined and he's such a presence that it sends every locker room he's part of in a tizzy.

I'm not sure I'd tune in to the actual AEW based on this, because I'm sure it's booked and structured completely different. The hurdle would be if the unknowns (to me) have enough of a mind for the business that they could get me to care about them. The imaginary world will have to do for now...especially if I can imagine Penelope and Allie...
So one big way that AEW differs from WWE - on your average episode of WWE TV you might have maybe 2 or 3 matches tops that you know of going in (and with all their promos and talky time, on a 2 hour show that might be the entirety of the matches)

Usually before the main event of each Dynamite, they announce big matches for next week’s Dynamite along with matches booked for Rampage and Collision. Before the main event of Rampage, they run down the Collision and Dynamite cards etc.

Any matches that aren’t announced during the broadcast usually are announced by Tony Khan over Twitter, usually with the explanation or lead-in. So you’ll never have an episode of Dynamite where you’re going in blind, you know the entire 5-6 match card before the show goes on the air

So no, you didn’t miss an announcement of Punk/Daniels but I assume in the game universe, the match was announced either during a pre-main event bumper add or online. I could totally hear Excalibur being like “and breaking news, CM Punk makes his in-ring return in Chicago against one of the most respected veterans in the sport, Christopher Daniels!” and the crowd would pop at the matchup graphic.

But alas, this is another example of where the game being 21 years old means you have to leave a bit more to the imagination. TEW gives you so much control and ability to book like a modern promotion since you have to allocate every minute of your TV time, but it’s complicated as hell.
Evil Vito is offline   Reply With Quote