View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #49
Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris P Lettus View Post
What do you mean "left in that division"??

You mean guys he hasn't beat??

If you are undefeated at the "elite" level in MMA, you are fighting the wrong people.. Which is what is the problem with GSP and Anderson Silva..
I disagree with that statement. GSP isn't undefeated, but aside from that, who were the wrong people he fought? Prior to the emergence of 155, 170 was considered the deepest division.

Jones has gone through a murderer's row of the best guys at 205. How has he been fighting the wrong people? If he beats Evans, the only legit opponent left is Hendo.

I think we've reached a point in MMA where well trained, elite and skilled athletes have emerged as opposed to guys like Chuck and Tito, who are legends in their own era, but were essentially wrestlers who went hunting for guy's heads and decapitated them or pounded their faces into the mat. Their dominance is going to be similar to what you see in boxing from guys like Mayweather, Sergio Martinez and Pacquiao (yeah I know he has some losses but it's been awhile). The days of a guy like Couture winning the Heavyweight title with 8 losses on his record are probably dead and gone.

If you want to attribute their record to guys fighting in the wrong weight classes, that's always been an element of combat sports whether it's MMA or boxing. Most MMA fighters and boxers prefer to cut weight if possible.