View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #20
Wishbone
I'm a loner, Dottie...

Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Guycott View Post
Wasn't so much dissing RybAxel as I was pointing out that WWE expected Ryback him to be massively over as a multiple time world champion and a huge merch mover by now because he was the prototypical bodybuilder type. I actually like both guys, but wasn't on board that Ryback bandwagon when they decided to strap a rocket to his ass. Henning* has both size and nepotism on his side, and he hasn't really gone anywhere.

And I'd rather see the gas station attendants with personality and "dat workrate" than yet another generic big man who is just supposed to get over by osmosis... face OR heel. Hell, I still say it was too soon for Big E to be called up. Even more so since they didn't let him continue with his "5 count" gimmick from NXT which is partly why he was so over there in the first place. They have that habit of overlooking talented people they can use sooner than later if they'd play to their strengths instead of to trying to parade around the next big man simply on the "he looks like a superstar if you see him walking down the street" idea of marketing.

That, to me, is like if Hollywood just started hiring supermodels (male and female) to fill out movie roles for huge buget, blockbuster calibur films simply because they look good and if they might can act a little bit, that's a bonus, passing up the Lliam Neesons or the Kathy Bateses because they're not "young and hot"... only to have those movies bomb, and the producers scratching their heads as to why.

One of the unmentioned side effects of the rise of MMA popularity is the dismissal of the notion that automatically equates size with power. Being taller and larger automatically making you the stronger athlete just doesn't hold the sway it used to in the 80's. Back then, Khali would be a spectacle worthy of fear, not of jaded jest.
Agreed 100%

It's great if you can find a big guy with charisma like the Rock or John Cena, but those kind of guys are 1 in a million. Big meat heads with no redeeming qualities are a dime a dozen and they all are boring as watching paint dry.

RybAxel is a prime example of two guys that have the look, but aren't worth their salt. Both had chances to shine, and both failed miserably at it because they just don't have any personality. Watching Ryback is like watching a gorilla at the zoo. Sure it's entertaining for a few minutes, but once you've seen it you're ready for the next exhibit. As for Axel… Well, I still hate that beaver faced fucker with every fiber of my being. His only good quality is his theme music.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote