View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #70
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool King View Post
At first, the name sounded terrible, but it was because it was new. To not instantly accept something new is kind of expected with most people. It happens all the time, especially in the world of professional wrestling.

I remember when Dolph Ziggler debuted and his surname was pretty much hated among the IWC. People said it was a stupid surname, it sounded like a Pokémon and so on. Now, eight years later, nobody gives his name a second thought and pretty much everyone loves the guy.

This hating of names business always happens when a new PPV is created. Fastlane, Payback and Battleground are just examples of names that were disliked when they were announced, but now, just like Ziggler's name, they're pretty much accepted and the focus is rightfully on what the name provides and not the name itself.

I'm sure by the end of the year, they'll be no complaining about the championship's name.

So for me, the name "Universal Championship" did sound stupid when it was first announced, but now, meh, I don't care. I've accepted it and hopefully Seth Rollins wins to become the first champion.
People do get numb to atrocities. We have no parallel to compare those examples to. Who is to say that Nick Nemeth wouldn't have been taken more seriously than Dolph Ziggler? It's still a ridiculous name and it could be argued that if he ditched it he'd be better off.

You're absolutely right -- hardcore fans will get used to the name "Universal Title" soon, but it will still be mocked as being objectively bad. Unless they did some sort of market research on this and discovered that people respond positively to the name. Most of the feedback I've seen is "That is fucking stupid" though.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote