Thread: MMA Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #2674
Fabien Barthez
Spliff & A Brew

Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
I hear what you're saying and you're right on all points, but to me it screams marketing potential. Obviously Dana White won't mention them, but let's just say a company like EliteXC kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger to the level of UFC. And let's say that company started calling out UFC at every chance they got and started competing with them on PPV buys.

Obviously EliteXC is dead in the water and Obviously Dana's worst fighter might have beaten Kimbo, but if a company out there can ever rise to the level of UFC, don't you think a "feud" should be created and don't you think these Americans, who feed off of shit like this all the time, would eat up a "feud" between two companies. Cause you know the media would run with it.

Yes, there's 50 billion "what if's," but I would love to see that happen
No company can ever grow unless they sell their shows with ex-UFC fighters, and the vast majority of UFC fighters who are legitimate names won't leave because of the lack of competition elsewhere. So basically, anyone who fights outside UFC who is a drawing name, is automatically percieved as green and competition shy, and in that lose some of the drawing power which they harboured in UFC. It just won't happen. And I don't think it would be a good thing for the sport in general anyway.

All this is Fedor excluded, but after Fedor, there will be no exceptions.

Also, i'm all for a bit of Yank-bashing, just like the next person, but dressing it up as an idea to amuse the 'futile' septics, when it is your idea/90's wrestling mirroring dream which was mostly just to amuse yourself is not exactly that...