View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
Impeccable
Tag Team Wrestling Mark!

Impeccable is good (20,000+)Impeccable is good (20,000+)Impeccable is good (20,000+)Impeccable is good (20,000+)Impeccable is good (20,000+)Impeccable is good (20,000+)Impeccable is good (20,000+)Impeccable is good (20,000+)
Firstly, I just listened to your "Was the Invasion doomed to Fail" podcast, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never caught you guys before, but will now download each episode. Great work.

On topic now, with Bischoff, I'm not sure what else he was supposed to do. He was tasked with making WCW compete with a juggernaut. The only way he could do that is to sign top guys with what he believed was a blank cheque book. In order to make them come, he had to promise guaranteed, mega-bucks contracts and also give creative control. He had to do that to sign them, and with those guys came egos and baggage. To compete, he needed them, and he needed them happy and had to pander to their needs, to the detriment to the rest of his business.

Had Eric's brief been to create a stable, financially well run company, creating stars and becoming sustainable, I am sure that he would have done so, but that was not his brief. Ted wanted to compete, nothing more. We see it in other sports teams who sink cash into trying to compete and then self imploding later.

Had Eric been given time (I believe WCW had been burning through bookers and executives, so he must have felt pressured) he would have been able to take it much slower.
Impeccable is offline   Reply With Quote