View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #335
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruien View Post
Didn't HHH say in the Stone Cold podcast that its frustrating that the internet nerds know more about that is going on sometimes than the actual writers? Pretty sure that occurred in some form in the past year.
He definitely said it recently in response to some criticism or something. And I'm sure he has a point -- even in the territory days when one person had the book, you'd still have to juggle egos, politics, injuries and all that sort of thing. Now you do have merchandising agreements, licencing agreements, video game placements, network relations, international television agreements, contracts and many things on top of that. With all that being said, the WWE is not being forced to have a shitty product right now.

The fact that the format is the same, tired old thing each and every week just fucking sucks. It's bad television, as any writer could tell you. Redundancy is a cardinal sin, and I can't remember the last time a Stephanie McMahon promo had a point. In fact, last week she actually said "As you just said" to preface what she was saying. Fucking yawn. Maybe Bonnie Hammer or whatever her name is wants McMahons on television. Well, the McMahons can still explain that their appearances are worth more when they are sporadic. If that doesn't get through, you can still drip them in effectively over an episode, instead of the storytime segments off top.

And that's down to Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn. They think that is a "hook" at the start of their show in 2015. Okay, fine. Well, your hook is not fighting the downward trend in ratings.
"Oh, but television is changing!"
RAW is a live program designed for prime-time viewing on a Monday night. It's broken people's viewing habits, and people aren't watching live anymore. What happened to that experience? What happened to that "catch it as it happens" edge that the program used to have? Was it the hot-shotting of the Attitude era? Possibly, but there's no doubt that people are finding the product sterile. Is it overexposure and product fatigue?

There are far more people who WANT to watch than are watching. Not everybody who likes watching wrestling is watching WWE, and that is a realistic grab of an audience they are missing. The other day, I heard a kid talking about Rey Mysterio and Shawn Michaels. Neither is involved in the WWE product currently. Are the WWE Network subscriptions for the current product, or are they for the nostalgia material?

In the past, I've wanted to see guys pushed, only to later learn that they weren't really a great worker and I didn't understand the fuck-ups they were making. Attitude problems come to the surface. But that being said, it doesn't excuse the WWE for booking the current crop of guys they do SO FUCKING BADLY! I no longer care about them! That's not me saying "I could do better". I know a lot of people who could make me care about them more though. And I am a fan, I do have an opinion, I do have a critical eye for what I do and don't enjoy, so let me tell you -- the current WWE fucking sucks. I WISH it didn't. But it does. And the big problem is with them and not others.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote