View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #766
loopydate
FIT Challenge Slag People

loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)loopydate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
There were a ton of story elements introduced this story that could have led to a fantastic ending, but they left most of them dangling or with unsatisfactory results.

• Quinn taking the exam and getting passed over would have been a great setup to him learning the truth about Dexter and his capture being the end of Joey's redemption story. He hit the depths of alcoholism, his relationships fell apart, he gets himself clean, and takes down the most dangerous killer in Miami history.
  • In that same vein, Deb's three-episode drug addict arc could have led to a showdown at the end similar to the LaGuerta situation, where she now has to choose between Dexter and Quinn, and she finally realizes that the only "right" answer is to take Dexter out.
  • Masuka's daughter could have done anything. Anything at all. She has nice boobs, but we had a whole season take place in a strip club, so we could have seen boobs in another way. if we'd had some sort of revelation that she was somehow tied to the lab tech guy who was obsessed with Dexter a while back, that might have given her some depth.
  • Maybe Quinn isn't the one who figures it all out, but Elway is (like six episodes before he actually does), and he uses Deb to get closer to Dex. We get the final showdown of Dexter, who has eluded Miami Metro for eight seasons, being taken down by an "independent contractor" who turns out to be the one person in south Florida smarter than he is.

There were elements I liked, though. I liked his last conversation with Harrison. I thought that was a good way to tie off that part of the story: him letting go of the one good thing he ever made and letting his son live his life out of the shadow of the Dark Passenger. I loved Deb telling Quinn that she loved him and him not hearing her.

The last season (and the finale in particular) was an overall disappointment, but looking back over eight years, it's been a hell of a ride and I am sad to see it go.
loopydate is offline   Reply With Quote