View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Jets Sexually Harass Female Reporter

NEW YORK -- New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, addressing the alleged harassment of a female TV reporter Saturday at practice, told ESPNNewYork.com Monday that the team will begin interviewing players as part of its investigation with the league office.

"Right now, we're working with the league and we're doing all the fact finding, checking the facts, doing the interviews," Johnson said. "Interviews with the players will start [Tuesday]. We've talked to some of the non-players, but [Tuesday] we'll get into it all."

The Jets open the season Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

Jets blog

Jets Looking for more information on the
green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Johnson said he called the woman, Ines Sainz of Mexico's TV Azteca, and offered an "open apology" to her. He also said he has interviewed "non-players" involved in the alleged taunting.

"I called her the minute I found out about it, and I finally spoke to her later on in the day," Johnson said. "We take this very, very seriously, as you can imagine. We want all of our reporters, female or male, to be comfortable wherever they are, on the sideline, in the locker room or at a game. We have to make the working environment professional, representing the New York Jets well."

Asked if he believes any of his players and/or coaches did something wrong, Johnson said: "I've got to make sure I know all the facts. There are no surprises I haven't heard about. But after we get them all, I'll let you know.

"We'll have to look at what it all adds up to and how do we respond to it?" he added. "We certainly don't want any kind of allegations like this, or anything like this to happen. I apologized to her -- if anything happened, what happened, kind of an open apology."

The NFL is looking into a complaint made by the Association for Women in Sports Media against the Jets after Sainz reportedly was subjected to footballs being thrown in her direction at practice and, later, players' catcalls inside the locker room.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league already has contacted the Jets.

Sainz attended practice Saturday as a working member of the media. According to an account in the New York Post, Jets defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman purposely overthrew footballs to players during a drill for defensive backs so that the passes would land near Sainz on the sideline.

Linebacker Jason Taylor, who is not part of Thurman's unit, volunteered to take part in the drills, the Post said. Jets coach Rex Ryan also got involved, according to the Post, when he had Thurman run a pattern near the sideline and intentionally overthrew the coach in Sainz's direction.

Afterward in the Jets locker room, Sainz was reportedly greeted by catcalls and hooting. When a reporter approached Sainz to see if she was OK, lineman Kris Jenkins yelled, "This is our locker room!"

Members of the Jets public-relations staff were present and did not discourage the behavior.

"Of course you feel it when you are being stared at and when you are being spoken of in a certain way," Sainz told The Associated Press from East Rutherford, N.J., where she was covering the Jets-Ravens game on Monday. "I opted to ignore it ... I tried to not even pay attention."

She had written about the experience on her Twitter account on Saturday.

"I die of embarrassment!" Sainz wrote in Spanish. "I am in the locker room of the Jets waiting for Mark Sanchez while trying not to look to anywhere!"

"It was an uncomfortable moment because you are in the team's dressing room and they are obviously changing clothes, showering -- doing what they do every day in the locker room," Sainz said to the AP on Monday. "So being a woman, obviously it was a bit uncomfortable."

In a later Twitter post, she wrote, "Thanks all for your support and concern. I already testified before the NFL, and now is up to them to decide whether or not there will be consequences!"

In comments published Monday by the Mexican newspaper El Universale, Sainz downplayed the incident.

"In my perception, at no moment I felt neither attacked, nor that something rude was being done about me," she said, according to the newspaper.

She indicated that she was not aware of the reported misconduct in the locker room.

"I went into the lockers and there were comments and games," Sainz said, according to the newspaper. "A fellow journalist told me that he was very sorry things like that were happening, in the surrounding areas where, evidently, there were jokes being made about me."

She did say that she spoke with NFL representatives and even shared what her crew had taped. But Sainz added that "at no time I even felt offended, much less in risk, or in danger of being in that place."

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum called Joanne Gerstner, a board member of the AWSM, on Sunday to discuss the matter. The two organizations were working to schedule an educational and awareness session with the team, according to Jets spokesman Bruce Speight.

Speight added that he also addressed the situation at the team meeting Sunday in advance of New York's season opener.

The AWSM said in a statement Sunday night that both the NFL and the Jets were "responsive to our concerns." On Monday, the organization issued another statement saying it was working with the Jets and the NFL.

"If Jets players, coaches and staff allegedly involved in the incident are found to have acted in unprofessional and harassing behavior toward Ms. Sainz, we expect and demand reprimand and punishment by the NFL and Jets," the statement read.

Acknowledging that an educational seminar will take place, the group further said in the statement: "We remain vigilant in holding leagues, teams, athletes and the media accountable and we serve as an advocate for all women in the business. AWSM also wishes to strengthen dialogue with leagues and teams to help elevate standards and maintain a harassment-free work place."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFifty View Post
Every time NBT signatures something, an angel gets its wings.