View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
DS
look at that hat

DS has a great deal of rep (15,000+)DS has a great deal of rep (15,000+)DS has a great deal of rep (15,000+)DS has a great deal of rep (15,000+)DS has a great deal of rep (15,000+)DS has a great deal of rep (15,000+)DS has a great deal of rep (15,000+)
I believe only the Roku 2 XS has USB support so be careful if you go with a Roku you're getting the right one. I also don't believe that AppleTV has a USB plug.

But...you could always just plug the harddrive up to a computer and stream the videos from one of the devices. If you go that route I would probably suggest the AppleTV.

1) Their household is primarily Macs already.
2 [and most important]) You can install XBMC on the AppleTV and AppleTV 2 and it is, in my opinion, the best media center software around. So much community support, tons of addons, support for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc, ton of media scrapers, art downloaders, pretty much anything you could want it to do.

But if you don't want to go through that hassle the Roku is probably your best bet. Just be aware that file support through USB is limited to MP4 (H.264) & MKV (H.264).