View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #19
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I LOVED The Brian Kendrick. It's a shame that Kendrick could not play ball with the company, because I had the feeling that he was in for a massive push in the coming year. I could have totally seen him winning Money in the Bank at WrestleMania XXV.

Everything about the character just clicked. He was deeper than your arrogant heel, and there was a darkness to go alongside the quirkiness of the character. It was more "Hollywood" than a lot of WWE characters, and I wonder if a lot of that had to do with Freddie Prinze, Jr. being on the writing team at the time?

Big Zeke added the size and credibility that Kendrick did not have. The idea was that Kendrick was amazingly talented and brilliant in the ring, but he lacked muscle -- so he found the biggest, baddest dude he could. I remember when they had Zeke shake off a chair shot from Triple H.

It was way too early from a traditional booking standpoint for the character to win the Scramble Match, but my preferred booking for the WWE Championship Scramble would have been for things to have gone exactly as they did, but towards the end of the match Kendrick would get a steel chair and start decimating everyone in sight. The referee would call DQ after DQ, but then Kendrick would pin a broken Jeff Hardy and get the pin and as the time limit was expiring and become the official WWE Champion.

It would have totally been in line with Kendrick's "I'm the smartest guy in the match" approach to the match, and it would have put over how dangerous Kendrick can be. It would have given Triple H something to do in the coming months, as Kendrick could have been quite the antagonist for Triple H. Kendrick could have brought up that he was trained by Shawn Michaels, who passed on all Triple H's weaknesses onto Kendrick. When it came to their WWE Title match, Kendrick would put up an honourable fight, but would clearly be out-classed by Triple H. Just as it looks like Kendrick is about to get Pedigree'd and lose the title, however, Big Zeke would come in and take Triple H down.

The storyline would then have evolved into Triple H looking for a one-on-one bout with Kendrick where he would be able to get his hands on him without Big Zeke interference. To do this, Triple H would have emphasised the "Cerebral Assassin" elements of his character. On a SmackDown heading into a PPV bout between the two, Triple H takes on Big Zeke, and Triple H then pulls out his trusty "Equalizer," the sledgehammer. Triple H nails Zeke, and takes him out of the picture for Kendrick and Triple H's No DQ WWE Title match at the next PPV, where Triple H would regain the title.

Kendrick's attitude would have made this blow up in their faces, but it would have made for personally enjoyable television, and I think it would have maximized the use of The Brian Kendrick as a character on SmackDown.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote