Thread: MMA Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #2395
Fabien Barthez
Spliff & A Brew

Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reavant View Post
aside from the fact that jardine was knocked out and herring lost a unanimous decision. Now I know that you are going to be like BUT A KNOCK OUT IS BETTER THAN A DECISION! in which case let me tell you in this case it is not. If you stand with Alexander for more than 9 seconds apparently, you have a very good chance of getting knocked out. Noone knew who he was when Jardine fought him. Herring let himself get taken down and controlled by a very poor wrestler for 15 minutes. If you spend umm lets say 10 minutes on your back, you should prolly change up your plan to win the fight.

Wait you mean someone who hasnt won a lot of fights recently shouldnt get a title fight? Umm... Lesnar's first fight was a fucking can... the guy taped without taking a single clean hit. That said hes 1-1 in the UFC and against legitimate competition. Wanderlei silva is 32-8. His status alone leaves him one or two wins out of contension. Had Chuck bet Jardine, he would have been back in a title match, Had Silva beat Chuck in his Debut, he would be waiting for a title shot right now.

Well Arlovski is no longer in the UFC so in terms of title contention in the UFC that loss doesnt matter. See you can argue that Gonzaga has never really beaten anybody and thats kinda true, but he has also never gone the distance in a fight. He has finished everyone that he has ever fought and only lost to two different people (randy and werdum). He wasnt just beating these "no names" he was dominating them. Call him a gatekeeper if you want, but the truth is, hes a very good heavyweight fighter. Brandon Vera might be a comfortable 205 right now but until his loss to big tim, he was cleaning up the heavyweight division including a fight with mir. But you can keep trying to say Werdum is not legitimate so you dont have to admit your wrong, I dont care.
Keeping it short....

The difference in training and motivation in Herring pre and post Jake O'Brien are very well documented. He stepped up after that fight to be considered a contender.

Jardine and Greg Jackson openly admitted they knew Houston Alexander is a fast starting, hard hitting one dimentional fighter. Jardine just lost. The article is on Sherdog somewhere.

Not winning many fights because you haven't had many is much different from not winning many fights because you keep losing them. I don't doubt Wand, being a legend with a solid record only needs another win to put him in line, but he hasn't got it yet.

Arlovski being a top 10 Heavyweight means that that loss mattered and matters. It was his toughest opponent to date, and Werdum lost. Just because a guy leaves the promotion, doesn't mean his record vanishes.

You can talk about Vera beating Mir, and fair enough. It is his best win. But we all know How lucky Frank is to even be in the position he is now in. He sucked pretty bad the 2 fights previous.

Fact is, Rob is right about the LHW's, Wand needs another win.

As for the Heavy's, Randy's biggest conflict is about money, they have to put him in the biggest draws to make the right money for him to fight. I think Lesnar is quite lucky getting this fight, but he wouldn't have got it had he not been nearly as dominating against Herring. Werdum I don't think would represent the top guy in the division. Lesnar could.