View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #117
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
I wasn't looking to go back to the Attitude Era, I was only talking about Manias during Cena's run. My point was Taker's matches and the The Streak played a bigger role than the majority of Cena's matches.

In reality, you take away the program with Rock which covered 3 straight Manias, Cena has never really been the focal point alone. Whereas with Taker every year there was interest in his opponent challenging The Streak. But to be fair to Cena, most of the recent Manias are sold on a handful of matches vs one super match. So nobody really is put in the position of selling the show on their own. I just think if you went year by year, Taker's matches on a whole had more interest.
But this would just be false. Cena hasn't been in the main event since WrestleMania XXIX when he was against Rock, but hb2k broke it down pretty obviously for you. If you want to credit Undertaker for carrying against Triple H, then you also have to give the nod to Cena for carrying against Rusev and Bray Wyatt as well.

"If you take away the Rock programs." That's like saying "If you take away Austin's WrestleMania programs with The Rock, he only really beat Shawn Michaels and had one great match with Bret Hart."

I'm also not sure the streak was entirely a good thing. I believe a lot of money was left on the table in order to preserve it and keep a worked streak looking impressive, often making sure that rising talent couldn't get a big win they needed in order to keep the wheel rolling. And it doesn't just extend to Undertaker. Generally guys take a dive at WrestleMania, and I can't help but feel there is something to do with win-loss records going on there, because there isn't an organic reason a guy like Mark Henry should beat Ryback at WrestleMania.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote