View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Franchise

Franchise is pretty cool (5,000+)Franchise is pretty cool (5,000+)Franchise is pretty cool (5,000+)Franchise is pretty cool (5,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MAC View Post
actually undertaker losing the streak makes Sting vs taker MORE plausible...hear me out..

Sting was the mainstay of WCW as Taker was for WWE, so the battle is not about a streak as they are "equals" . Sting isn't some up and comer looking to beat taker and get a name for himself by ending the streak.

I think they had to get Taker off the streak so that his feud with Sting would be on a different level than a challenge for the streak.
The thing with Taker v Sting was more a clash of characters, their mystique, aura, Taker gave off the same air of fear that Crow Sting did during his run. It would have been like two forces colliding. Taker would have conquered every opponent but then Sting appears.

Yes they're equals but that's what makes a WM match less attractive. They would be better duking it out as equals on another PPV, and that could be hyped up around the match a la HBK v Hogan at Summer Slam some years ago.

The intrigue with Sting would have been "nobody in WWE could end the streak, could one of WCW's greatest legends and the man who in so many ways is similar to the Taker be the man to beat him"?

It would just be like watching a pickup soccer game.

EDIT: I think ultimately we all have to reluctantly accept that Sting v Undertaker won't happen not so much for the streak being lost but the evidence that has been clear over the last couple of years; Undertaker just can't cope with pro wrestling anymore. It was rather a sobering moment watching a man who was once the main draw, the phenom, top of his game etc put in such a terrible performance and ultimately lose the one statistic/merit/attribute that set him apart from his peers such as Hogan, HBK, Austin, Rock, Triple H, Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Savage.....I could list them all. Despite all the big names that had come and gone and appeared at WM, he was THE ONE who had the streak and despite the repetitiveness of watching him come out every year and knowing he would most likely win, we enjoyed watching him add another "victim" to the list. Now that's gone, Undertaker doesn't seem quite as intimidating or larger than life.

Sting v Taker would have been epic 10 years, 7 years maybe even 5 or 3 years ago. But the ship really has sailed (for Mania) and given Taker realistically would have only one more match left if any at all, it makes sense to have him avenge that defeat to Lesnar and then call it a day.

It's sad we may not get to see it but we need to accept it and move on.
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote