View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #169
Gertner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
The majority of AUS Hockey here in Canada is rarely if ever scouted. There are alot of good players that never have a scout watch them because it is assumed only the best players are in juniors and no where else. College hockey is a good option for alot of players because with juniors its either do or die, either you make it or you have nothing to fall back on. With a college education, if you don't make it, then you at least have something to fall back on.

Im not saying the overwhelming majority of college players are better then juniors, but alot of them in my opinion would slot in better then juniors as most college players have been playing against men their whole college career.

Their bodies are also more developed and you as a smart hockey fan know that a fair few good hockey players came through college to the NHL.

No, I just made it to because I don't believe it.

Yes, you are correct there. However, if I was an NHL GM and I had to pick between

OHL Player - 18 years old, 6'0, 180 pounds and having played 64 games last season

or

NCAA - 22 years old, 6'0, 200 pounds and having played 32 games.

I would take the NCAA player unless its well known the OHL player is in a league his own, the reasons is, he is older, more mature, likely has played longer, body, muscles and likely game play is more developed and NCAA players are generally bigger as well as they are past the end of their growth period and are as big as they are going to get. An 18-20 year old is still growing a bit.

Thats just my opinion though taken from what I have seen.
The competition is NCAA isn't nearly as good as the CHL, especially outside of the WCHA and even there it's very top heavy. NCAA produces no goaltenders whatsoever, and the CHL is generally the rougher and tougher league. The NCAA is behind the CHL and Europe in terms of development.

Plus, more and more U.S born players are opting for the CHL.