View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #54
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Walking Dead is one of the few shows on TV I watch. The Walking Dead comparison is really not fair. Call me in 20 years if Walking Dead is still on cable, and they are still doing a 7.0. Not to mention Walking Dead has to write one hour of entertaining TV per week, for what? something like 16 weeks per year. That's 16 hours PER YEAR! WWE covers that much programming is less than 3 weeks. So its not exactly a fair comparison.

If you follow people's comments on Walking Dead on Twitter, it can be similar to what you read on sites like this about the WWE. Shows like this last for 5-6 years, and then they end, and people move on to something else. I would say similarly, sports entertainment had their run in the late 90s and early 2000s where it was the hot product, so you get casual fans. The problem with casual fans is they come and they go.

To me, the fact that not only has RAW specifically been on for 20+ years (an amazing feat accomplished by very few episodic shows), they have produced literally thousands of hours of content (another feat that puts them in even more rarefied air), but they have managed to do that while still consistently being #1 or near #1 on cable every single week. So guys like you will say "oh they SHOULD be doing a 7", but really you have no fucking clue how amazing their run has been, and how difficult it is to create product week after week that continues to appeal to as many people as WWE TV does.
7 is astronomical, but I was overstepping to make a point. Taking into account some of the valid points you have made, (because you actually took the time to make some sense here) I think all in all ratings in the low mid 4s even creeping in high mid 4s would indicate the product operating at full potential.

Wrestling is just not as hot as it was. Wrestlemania is big but that's it. Maybe rumble and summerslam as well. There has always been down periods but then there was an up period to even it out. We are all waiting for wrestling as a whole to really come back with some weight, and the neat and tidy corporate inside the box while indicative of a nicely run brand and commodity does not speak for wrestling and the integrity of the brand.
Ol Dirty Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote