View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #30
Xero
He's Here

Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post
The thing is, the WWE sort of booked themselves into a wall with CM Punk/Undertaker. They perhaps should have had Taker do something else, and let John Morrison or even Matt Hardy (the latter being the more freed-up choice) begin a feud with Punk over the World Heavyweight Title. Finlay, as Punk's trainer, also could have been used for a mini-feud.

But the moment they put Taker into a match with Punk, they almost had to put the World Title on Taker so that the fans have valid reason to buy into him as "the guy" still. If Punk went over Taker, even via nefarious means, the fans could begin to have their interest in SmackDown!'s main event scene fade.

Punk got the win at Breaking Point, which was good booking. It was a bit too soon to take the World Title off Punk, and Taker got screwed. I would not have actually minded Taker winning the World Title when Punk passed out in the Hell's Gate, or if Punk got the Anaconda Vice, but Taker got the ropes and Punk refused to break -- eventually getting the tap-out; but the way it happened was not horrible.

Hell in a Cell was where they essentially had to put the belt on Taker in "his match." I felt it suffered by opening the show, and being as quick as it was -- but Punk got to kick out of the fucking Last Ride. The fans were also rewarded with The Undertaker's third World Heavyweight Title win, which makes them very happy.

Punk tapping out to Taker on SmackDown! so quickly makes sense, because Punk doesn't want to risk injury. I would like to see him recapture the World Title at Bragging Rights, though, and I think it actually has a fairly good shot at happening. The Undertaker has already proven that he can beat Punk (he's proven it a few times), and the World Champ doesn't need to be pinned or submitted in this match.

Just relax a little.
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote