View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #340
CSL
Over Like Rover

CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterlife View Post
I wasn't complaining strictly about Sheamus using two back-to-back finishers, I was complaining about the practice in general.
it's like a lot of other things in wrestling, it's one of those moments where you have to suspend your disbelief a little bit for the sake of why he's doing it. When HBK would come off the top with the elbow, do his little fire up dance schtick and go to the corner to start "tuning up the band", the crowd come up. If he goes straight to a nearfall after the elbow, he loses that "momentum" going to his finish/you bring them down. It's like a "oh shit, we know what's coming now" once it's been done, like Hogan hitting the big boot. I personally can't say that I'd even noticed that Sheamus does this, don't watch anywhere near enough of the current product and theoretically/ideally, it'd be the other way round (the boot then the White Curse) but when you've gotten something over in that sense/people are expecting to see something, you don't mess with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterlife View Post
Looking to hit a finisher is not the opposite of using them when necessary. That kind of goes right back to Sheamus doing two definitive finishers back to back for no reason, as well as Whereman's take on "psychology" as a whole.
I didn't strictly mean "the direct opposite", just pointing out the gulf between the two. The babyface always teasing/building towards/getting stopped from hitting his finish until he finally gets it is one of the more important parts of structuring a match, especially if it's a "commodity"/people are looking to see that move
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote