View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #29
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I'm in the camp that much prefers Orton as a face than a heel. His turn against Daniel Bryan made sense, but they seemingly put Orton's balls in a draw, and it felt like he wasn't credible enough to headline WrestleMania by the end of it (even though he was their top in-ring heel). Orton spent most of his face run directionless, but was pretty white-hot as an act anyway. Imagine that investment with a point behind it?

That being said, we're in an odd situation right now. Fans are kind of "Daniel Bryan or broke," whilst Roman Reigns is getting an awkward push. You also have Dolph Ziggler and Dean Ambrose as face acts in the wings, which could become kinetic at any point in time. Sheamus is due back, and although he's about due to get nasty, he'll be needing credibility and that will mean broken faces at his feet. I guess what I'm saying is "Holy fuck there are a lot of potential top faces lying around, and the heels that the company are going to need to make them need to be made by some of these already established faces."

There's also the fact that a lot has changed, and whilst a face Orton is going to be "cool" for a couple of months, increasingly vocal crowds might still see him as the "old guard," and not be entirely cool with him getting so much spotlight at the expense of acts like Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose and surely some of the NXT guys that will be called up in 2015. Don't get me wrong -- Orton will probably be white-hot again -- but there are more obstacles there than there would have been some years ago.

I, for one, am interested in seeing how a face Orton interacts with the face peers he has spent months and months battling against. Dean Ambrose and Daniel Bryan are the biggest exhibits. Orton essentially played chickenshit against Daniel Bryan, so how does he occupy the ring with him now? That returned confidence might create an intriguing match-up. Plus, with Rollins having issues with Orton, and Rollins about to become the WWE World Heavyweight Champion -- there is potential for a Rollins vs. Orton title program to headline at least one PPV. Maybe it will catch on?

All this is making me think that Roman Reigns should just turn heel. The company is going to need some credible heels, and the nature of his presence will allow him to play good counterpoint to guys like Bryan, Ambrose and Orton. Reigns & Sheamus as a heel wrecking team in the main event picture (sort of like the Two-Man Power Trip or Rated-RKO) could be a real force.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote