View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #941
Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelly Meatball View Post
If you break it down even further, only 3 to maybe 4 years would be considered their prime earning years which is why a majority of startng RBs try to get that mega deal as early as possible into their career.
Yeah that sucks. Especially since rookie contracts are less now under the new CBA and if a good back holds out in year 4 or 5 of his deal he'll be made to look like a bad guy. Plus, even after that contract expires the team can just put a franchise tag on him for the next 3 seasons. By the time he's an unrestricted free agent, he's been used up.

Quote:
Forgot to add a little tidbit of news with the earlier post but according to today's Mike and Mike in the Morning's show, the number of players to get suspended and/or fined from Bounty-gate could reach the 40s to 50s range. NFL is allowing the NFLPA to review the players in question and help out in determining the level of punishment needed.
I wonder what "expert" came up with those figures. Not digging at you Smelly, it's just over these past couple of weeks it's been glaringly obvious that these guys don't know any more than we do about what's going on in the NFL. I only trust IncarceratedBob now.

They'll probably suspend guys like Vilma who were clearly the ringleaders, but if that many players were suspended it would create huge headaches. Like, it wouldn't necessarily be justice if current players like Scott Fujita were fined or suspended but then you have a potential hall of famer like Darren Sharper escaping punishment because he's retired. What do you do, add a year on the amount of time that must pass before Sharper is eligible?

Are players who weren't on the team the last two seasons going to be suspended for their participation three years ago before Saints officials were warned or lied to the NFL? What about teams like the Broncos who sign free agents from that team like Tracy Porter. If Porter gets suspended for half a year, would the Broncos be able to get out of that deal?

I just think it would be really hard to custom tailor punishment for 50 guys and still make it fair across the board. I believe punishing the coaches and the known organizers on the players side will probably be enough. I doubt anyone who ever played a down on that defense during that time will get served.