View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #110
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Jay Leno fans make me want to rip my face off. Why the fuck did that woman put "boy" in quotation marks? Is her child already a transvestite after suffering through his first meeting with Leno?

Here are some comments from NBC President Dick Ebersol:

NBC chairman Dick Ebersol says Conan O'Brien has nobody to blame but himself for getting the boot from The Tonight Show and called Conan and David Letterman's decision to take shots at Jay Leno "chicken-hearted and gutless" since neither can beat Leno in the ratings.

Ebersol went on to say that "what this is really all about is an astounding failure by Conan," says Conan refused to take advice on how to increase his ratings. Ebersol met with Conan three weeks before the changes were announced, urging Conan to adopt changes that both Johnny Carson and Jay Leno had adopted to increase ratings in central time zones like Chicago and Des Moines.

"I like Conan enormously personally," Mr. Ebersol said. "He was just stubborn about not being willing to broaden the appeal of his show." He added that NBC
"bet on the wrong guy."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like an exaggerated story to me. Conan changed a lot when he went to The Tonight Show. You can tell he took a chill pill, and for the first few weeks decided to play the "I'm gonna be a normal talk show host with elements of my personality" game. It didn't really work out, and ratings dropped. He then started to go back to his real persona, although you can tell by the way he's presented himself since this whole story broke, that he has tried to jump through a few hoops for NBC.

I remember when Conan took some time out after Johnny Carson's passing, to comment on advice Carson gave him when he first got the Late Night gig. He apparently told Conan to "always be himself." Conan has been himself for the past 17 years, and only now do NBC want him to change? Why give him the show in the first place? They stood by the offer for five years, and only decided to revoke it now, 7 months into his stint?

Leno also took two years to beat Letterman, and NBC threatened him with the same shit, until Leno managed to turn things around. They expected Conan to beat Letterman right away? Especially with Letterman getting some attention with his scandal? NBC put Conan on a pedestal, and haven't given him the chance to really earn a Tonight Show audience yet. He really only has his Late Night crowd following him still.

I hope Leno backfires on them big-time. The dude's not funny. Kimmel owned him on his own show. You don't get schooled on your own show unless you are an overrated hack. Leno was in the slot for 17 years, I bet he did do better than Conan in the ratings, initially.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote