View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #113
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I'm reading up on the whole ratings thing now. Leno's run in prime time has essentially been credited with a weaker lead in for NBC's news broadcasts, which has in turn lead to a weaker lead-in for Conan. Is it too much for me to credit this to a genius (from a business, if not comedic perspective) plan on Leno's part?

If Jay Leno's prime time show was a success, then he would be laughing. The audience for prime time is about 40% larger than late night, so he would logically stand to make a lot more money through affiliates and such. Leno laughs all the way to the bank as he "moves on" from The Tonight Show, and becomes even more of a star over time. But if Leno falls flat on his face, then it creates that domino effect which pushes extra pressure on the news and Conan (who Leno very well knows is an acquired taste). Letterman beats Conan for a little while, and Leno can leverage his way back to The Tonight Show, where he did well.

I might be giving Leno too much credit here -- but it's obvious the guy did not want to bow-out. He obviously loves the spotlight, because God knows he has enough money after doing The Tonight Show for almost two decades.

UPDATE: Apparently Conan O'Brien's numbers continue to rise and rise while Leno's continue to fall and fall. Apparently O'Brien beat Leno by a 27% margin, even with Leno's prime-time slot. While this is almost certainly due to the media attention this war has been getting, the public consensus seems to be fairly one-sided: Conan = Good; Leno = Hitler. O'Brien's ratings are unlikely to stay as they are; but Conan being the acquired taste that he is, and being the loose cannon that he currently is, could make some permanent fans during this period. Also, if what the affiliates want are ratings, Conan is engulfing Leno's audience right now. Even if they say that Conan's "pre-hoopla" ratings weren't impressive, Conan still has the sympathy of his side of never really being given the chance Leno got in the timeslot, when Letterman was kicking his ass for two years.

Am I naive in thinking there is hope that NBC "lets the baby have his candy?"

Last edited by Mr. Nerfect; 01-15-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote