Thread: MMA Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
McLegend
Temporary

McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Right now, I wouldn't call Ortiz a top 5 light heavyweight (am I sucking his cock now people?).

His wrestling is fine. Because he doesn't use it all the time, it doesn't make it worse than it is. It's obviously better than Rashad's and it wasn't meant to be at all going into their fight. I'll bet anyone $100 that Tito beats Rashad in the second fight INSIDE the distance or by winning every round on every score card.

As for not looking good. I disagree. He hasn't looked great but that's another story.

Vs. Griffin - Total domination until his gassed which is put down to a torn ACL going into the fight. Nobody can argue that Ortiz is a cardio machine normally.

Vs. Shamrock II - looked dominate against a past his prime Shamrock.

Vs. Shamrock III - looked even more dominate and a decisive finish.

Vs. Liddell - Looked fine until his KO. Arguably an early stoppage. Personally, I thought 10 more seconds wouldn't have hurt here but you can't really complain. Definate improvement from his first fight with Chuck.

Vs. Evans - Not at his best but looked dominate again. Evans was lucky to escape with a draw due to a dodgy referee call (everyone grabs the fence and NOBODY ever gets punished) and the time running out in the second round when Evans was seconds from being out from the gullitine.

Ortiz still needs to beat Evans and beat a top 5 fighter though.
For the record I didn't count the Shamrock fights, because Shamrock passed his prime didn't stand a chance.

I still think Tito lost that fight against Forrest, but I will cut him some slack since he had that injury.

But see against Chuck I could argue that the fight should have been stopped in the first round, because I actually think that was way closer then in the 3rd round where it was stopped.

Then moving on when he would shoot on Chuck he kept telegraphing them, and basically like stood no chance of taking Chuck down. Which is what he did against Rashad aside from the first takedown where he did that high kick out of no where.

I'll give Tito credit though for developing his stand up, but he has no knock out power what so ever on his feet. I think he he as to diver more of his attention back to his wrestling.

Basically though I think the evolution of MMA has passed Tito Ortiz by.