View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #30
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
2001 Royal Rumble Match
This was the match that cemented me as a wrestling fan. Kane was my favourite wrestler at the time (and still is), but even as an uneducated wrestling fan, I still realised The Undertaker, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin and even Rikishi had a better chance at winning the Rumble.

Seeing Kane eliminate more people than anyone else in Rumble history, eventually going on to be runner-up, was magical for me. It truly was a great moment for me as a wrestling fan.

The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania X-7
Most iconic match ever. Yes, even greater than Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant. Everyone wanted to see this match. I remember talking to my dad on the phone, still excited about the outcome. I was always more of an Austin fan, and him winning made me happy, and him siding with Vince McMahon surprised me. Great booking. If only The Rock had stuck around to continue the program, and if only the WWE didn't have an Invasion to butcher.

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit for the WWE Championship at the 2003 Royal Rumble
Chris Benoit is arguably the greatest Royal Rumble competitor of all-time. His Ladder Match in 2001 against Chris Jericho, his Rumble win in 2004 (more on that later), and this match. This match didn't amaze me as much then as it does now, but when it happened, I remember being warmed by the standing ovation Benoit got from the crowd. This is a pivotal match in Chris Benoit's career.

2004 Royal Rumble Match
The match was great, and the ending really moved me. I'm not the world's largest Chris Benoit mark, but seeing the little guy muscle Big Show over the top rope after enterting #1? Fan-fucking-tastic. I loved the way that he won the match from the #1 position, which only Shawn Michaels had done previously, and was in the match longer than Ric Flair. It was the greatest Rumble performance in history.

This truly built Benoit up as a star, and it is a shame the WWE has him wandering around aimlessly, winning mid-card Titles most of the time. They also kind of tarnished this with having Rey Mysterio win the Rumble from #2, and lasting even longer this past year. Stupid WWE, Mysterio was screaming for an Austin-like win.

Paul London vs. Billy Kidman at No Mercy 2004
Don't ask my why, this match just really got me. London was betrayed by his tag team partner, who was going through a tough time. Kidman had injured Chavo Guerrero with a Shooting Star Press gone awry, and he just couldn't find it in himself to pull off the move.

In a match with Rene Dupree and Kenzo Suzuki for the WWE Tag Team Championship, a match which London and Kidman surely could have won, if they were on their game, Kidman walked out on his partner, and London, not being one to utilise a Champion's advantage, stayed to fight, and lost. This lead to Theodore Long making the match between the two men, and if Kidman refused to fight London, he would be fired.

Everything about this match worked. London was aggressive, Kidman was cowardly. The match eventually had Kidman working over the ribs, and the two implemented brilliant psychology into their match. London did a quebrada from inside the ring to the outside, and even pulled off the London Calling, which is so much more impressive than Kidman's 7 Year Itch, it isn't funny. London lost the match, and Kidman hit London with one or two extra Shooting Star Presses, just to be an asshole.

The feud kind of dribbled off after that, but it would have been perfect if the WWE hadn't fucked it up. This is proof London has got what it takes to be a star, and Kidman is one of the most underrated workers of all-time.

There are some other matches, but I won't go overboard with it.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote