View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #20361
Xero
He's Here

Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Xero makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Everything needs to move and evolve with the times, otherwise they're doomed to fail. I'm not saying they should scrap Sports Entertainment, because, honestly, I feel that's the only way pro wrestling will be able to sustain itself on a global or even national scale.

If wrestling now was exactly as it was in, say, the 70s, it wouldn't be anywhere near the popularity it is now. There's always a natural evolution. WWE (not pro wrestling) as it stands, won't be around for more than 10 years on the level they are if they stagnated. If they kept with the way they build their talent, especially. It's not something that has to happen now, but any business that doesn't realize that evolution is a very large part of staying relevant and successful is destined to fail.

Does Triple H really believe that what they're doing now is fine? I don't know. Maybe it was just a front to make the office (read: Vince) happy. But the down turn in buy rates and ratings is something that can't be ignored, and suggests that without evolution of some kind, things will take a turn for the worst in the future.

Saying that UFC, which a lot of the time does more buys, up to 100%+ more, than WWE, needs to evolve because it's "boring" is just an ignorant statement from Triple H and makes the company look like desperation from the midget trying to take a shot at the guy who's 6'8 and 350lbs. It honestly makes them look like WCW or TNA to WWE. Hell, it can even be compared to how WWE was taking shots at WCW when they were down, with the "Billionaire Ted" skits. The difference there was that WWE was on the verge of losing the battle legit. Here, WWE is a big enough entity that they aren't going to go down anytime soon. But, long term, it's a problem.

And, while they're different, WWE and UFC (and MMA in general) share a common fanbase. I don't think it's like 50% of MMA fans would watch WWE if it were cool/entertaining to them, but it's big enough that UFC is a legitimate competitor, and in that sense, WWE is losing.