View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFo View Post
I hate that first paragraph b/c you could do the same thing to any fighter picking their record apart to suit any argument...for example would anyone deny Fedor a place in any HOF, no, but who has he really beat? Kevin Randleman? China Chin Arlovski?

Come on man, you are better than saying "44yr old Couture". Guy was still legit at the weight.
This is why I've said before that when you consider great fighters or hall of famers you should consider fighters that fought prior to 2008 when Pride was the premier organization and guys like Couture, Ortiz and Liddell were at the top and post 2008 when more well rounded athletes like Lesnar, Evans and Jones emerged. There's obviously going to be some overlap, but I think that works for most guys.

You can't really knock the run Fedor had in Pride and we know Royce Gracie would have no chance in hell in today's MMA landscape, but that doesn't make their contributions any less impressive during the era they fought in.

I agree with Kris P. in that Couture's run at HW was more him keeping a down division on life support and less Couture being that good. There is no one he beat at HW that anyone would consider more than a gatekeeper and even in his last few fights at LHW Randy was basically passing the belt back and forth with Liddell. When Brock and Randy stood next to each other, it didn't even seem fair.