View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #118
Emperor Smeat
Former TPWW Royalty

Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb2k View Post
See, I've always had this umming and ahhing about the impact of the streak, in that I'm not sure it ever proved to be a big deal outside of existing fans (until it ended). Mania 30 should have had a great build to Taker/Brock, but it really wasn't at all.

Taker's matches with Shawn and HHH for those four years added a big match backbone, no doubt, but the only time it was put in a position to truly be the big draw on the show, 26, did the lowest Mania numbers in seven years, and that pains me to say because that build-up was fucking outstanding.
In terms of sports outlets, ESPN and others usually talked about the streak match the most whenever they'd cover Mania. This was before the WWE started to pay to get more mainstream coverage.

Ever since the WWE started doing the multi-main events for Mania, feel like that is when its possible to talk more about multiple people and matches carrying a Mania regardless of their actual quality. You still have the big major match such as Mania 29 with Cena-Rock II but also the other main event matches bringing in a big chunks of interest as well.
Emperor Smeat is offline   Reply With Quote