TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
darkpower
Why So Curious?

darkpower is "reptacular" (2,500+)darkpower is "reptacular" (2,500+)darkpower is "reptacular" (2,500+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vaquero de Infierno
Good god I'm listening to Avril lavigne on myspace at the moment, and I've got the urge to buy an album. These sick urges (as in listening to music i would never listen too or consider buying) only arise when I haven't had any new albums for a month or two, which thanks to my maintainance loan hasn't been the case. In fact I have a backlog of CD's to listen too.

I need a good slapping or something.
Or some pics of her and some lube.
darkpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
bigdaddysuperfreak
George"The Animal"Steele

bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)bigdaddysuperfreak got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
My wife got me into broadway musicals, but I cant admit it to my friends.
bigdaddysuperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
diothoir
Tattieman

diothoir is a chill bro (7,500+)diothoir is a chill bro (7,500+)diothoir is a chill bro (7,500+)diothoir is a chill bro (7,500+)diothoir is a chill bro (7,500+)
Surely they'll find out when they see your name on the marquee.

diothoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
road doggy dogg
wekasauce

road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
How can you have a "guilty pleasure" for something that you do purely to entertain yourself.
road doggy dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
darkpower
Why So Curious?

darkpower is "reptacular" (2,500+)darkpower is "reptacular" (2,500+)darkpower is "reptacular" (2,500+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by road doggy dogg
How can you have a "guilty pleasure" for something that you do purely to entertain yourself.
No, I mean, people you listen to that you'd rather not admit to.

There's a (slight) difference.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Kane Knight
Ron Paul 4 EVA

Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
What, you've never masturbated before?
Kane Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
road doggy dogg
wekasauce

road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I'm not ashamed of listening to music that angry nerds think sucks. Or that I masturbate. I don't follow.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
darkpower
Why So Curious?

Quote:
I'm not ashamed of listening to music that angry nerds think sucks. Or that I masturbate. I don't follow.
Just because you're not afraid doesn't mean no one else is.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
road doggy dogg
wekasauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpower
Just because you're not afraid doesn't mean no one else is.
That's kind of my point though. I didn't mean to come off as saying "hey look at me, this doesn't apply!", I just think in general it's stupid for anyone to feel "guilty" about liking music that is perceived as bad or whatever.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
Kane Knight
Ron Paul 4 EVA

Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kane Knight makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Yes, the people who are afraid to admit to their choice in music are called morons.

I don't disagree with RDD. Just wanted to issue the masturbation quip.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
darkpower
Why So Curious?

Okay...let's put this ANOTHER way:

"Guilty pleasures" = Those things that you like that you're not going to jump up right away and admit to. There are TV shows that are labeled this, because not many people actually ADMIT to liking such shows, yet they will be the first ones to switch that show on whenever it is on.

Same thing here. Some bands are not ones one would readily admit to liking to a large crowd, but whenever they hear a song by said band, they are singing along with it and liking it. These could be labeled as our "guilty pleasures". I just used the phrase because we use the same label on the TV shows of the same type (I think there was a thread on the TV forum about "guilty pleasures" made some time ago). Forgive me for not explaining this clearly enough.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
road doggy dogg
wekasauce

I understand totally what you're saying, and I still think people who base their personal enjoyment upon the 'acceptance' of others are retarded. So just because a bunch of people think Spice Girls suck, you're not allowed to like them? I don't follow how that would make any sense at all.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
Kane Knight
Ron Paul 4 EVA

Quote:
I understand totally what you're saying, and I still think people who base their personal enjoyment upon the 'acceptance' of others are retarded. So just because a bunch of people think Spice Girls suck, you're not allowed to like them? I don't follow how that would make any sense at all.
Or, at least, admit to it. Oh noes, I'm so ashamed....
Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #14
darkpower
Why So Curious?

Did you think of this the same way as TV's "guilty pleasures"?

How about bands and artists that people would be shocked to find out that you do like, then? Are there some artists that you two would like to admit that none of us would think in a million YEARS that you would enjoy?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #15
Kane Knight
Ron Paul 4 EVA

Jesus, I'm not particularly sure I could mention anyone most people would be more shocked I listen to than Boys 2 Men or 2Gether.

And, I mean the lamest shit I watch is pro wrestling. I'm not exactly hiding that. I can't think of anything else I should be embarrassed by. I mean, House, Heroes, the Daily Show?

People are shocked that I watch wrestling, yes. Why? Because I'm not an inbred hick with only 4 teeth. People ask me why I, an intelligent and artidculate person would watch such drivel, and I'm just like "meh."

Sure, I think certain shows and songs are stupid, and that people probably shouldn't listen to them. But that shouldn't mean shit to the people who listen to it. My dislike, sometimes hatred, of the shit you enjoy shouldn't affect you in any way, no matter how draconically expressed.

It's personal taste, and I think it's stupid to feel any guilt over it. People expect me to explain why I like certain bands, because they think four years of theory and two decades of performancemeans that every band I like is for a specific, calculated reason. But it doesn't work that way. There's no science to music. Now X+Y=Good. And so I listen to some shit that people will scoff at.

And honestly, in all this the point I'm trying to drive home is that no, I don't care. I get it. Personal taste is personal. But if you're ashamed because someone else might not like it, that's fucking lame.

same with TV. and movies. I mean, Jesus Christ, I liked the Marine. I'm not even hiding it, I'm discussing it with people and telling them it wasn;t excellent, but it was enjoyable. And that seems to be horribly unpopular, and I recognise that it's the ind of thing that might fall under "Guilty Pleasure," but like I said. I'm not embarrassed, ashamed, or anything of the sort.

However, I'm also very opinionated and vocal and will rip a band to shreds. I just expect people to have thick enough skin to say "whatever, mang," and get on with their lives.

But yeah. I air guitar to Extreme. I actually know the lyrics to "I Swear" by all for one. Despite my elitist stance towards the White Stripes, I still tap my toes when Seven Nation Army comes on. I have a Papa Roach album around here somewhere, and every Linkin Park Record up to Meteroa. And if I could think of more "embarrassing" shit to post, I would. As for TV, like I said, I barely watch anything, but wrestling has to be the worst thing I watch. I mean, I wwatch Stargate, which would probably get the "nerd" response, but I haven't exactly hidden that around here, rife with all the real men...I'll try not to laugh aqt that.

Hell, I'll even watch a bad movie if there's a killer soundtrack. Tarrantino could make one of his "I hire bad actors because making shitty movies is artistic," and if the score was good enough, I'd probably watch it. Half the movies I've really enjoyed in the past 5 years are kids movies. My friends and I actually walk around--grown fucking adults-- and repeat lines from The Emporer's New Groove and Finding Nemo. Oh, and I like 10 things I hate about you. Fuck the "anti Teen Movie" thing, I actually threatened to do the thing LEdger did with the high school band to my girlfriend once.

In short, if people don't like watch I do in my leisure time, that's fine. I'm just hoping this really does drive the point home, to truncate this discussion. I know some people are embarrassed. That strikes me as a sheepish way to live life.

Is there anything unclear in all that?

(No offense, man. Just trying to be clear on this, since there seems to be something we're not meshing on...)
Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #16
darkpower
Why So Curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Knight
Jesus, I'm not particularly sure I could mention anyone most people would be more shocked I listen to than Boys 2 Men or 2Gether.

And, I mean the lamest shit I watch is pro wrestling. I'm not exactly hiding that. I can't think of anything else I should be embarrassed by. I mean, House, Heroes, the Daily Show?

People are shocked that I watch wrestling, yes. Why? Because I'm not an inbred hick with only 4 teeth. People ask me why I, an intelligent and artidculate person would watch such drivel, and I'm just like "meh."

Sure, I think certain shows and songs are stupid, and that people probably shouldn't listen to them. But that shouldn't mean shit to the people who listen to it. My dislike, sometimes hatred, of the shit you enjoy shouldn't affect you in any way, no matter how draconically expressed.

It's personal taste, and I think it's stupid to feel any guilt over it. People expect me to explain why I like certain bands, because they think four years of theory and two decades of performancemeans that every band I like is for a specific, calculated reason. But it doesn't work that way. There's no science to music. Now X+Y=Good. And so I listen to some shit that people will scoff at.

And honestly, in all this the point I'm trying to drive home is that no, I don't care. I get it. Personal taste is personal. But if you're ashamed because someone else might not like it, that's fucking lame.

same with TV. and movies. I mean, Jesus Christ, I liked the Marine. I'm not even hiding it, I'm discussing it with people and telling them it wasn;t excellent, but it was enjoyable. And that seems to be horribly unpopular, and I recognise that it's the ind of thing that might fall under "Guilty Pleasure," but like I said. I'm not embarrassed, ashamed, or anything of the sort.

However, I'm also very opinionated and vocal and will rip a band to shreds. I just expect people to have thick enough skin to say "whatever, mang," and get on with their lives.

But yeah. I air guitar to Extreme. I actually know the lyrics to "I Swear" by all for one. Despite my elitist stance towards the White Stripes, I still tap my toes when Seven Nation Army comes on. I have a Papa Roach album around here somewhere, and every Linkin Park Record up to Meteroa. And if I could think of more "embarrassing" shit to post, I would. As for TV, like I said, I barely watch anything, but wrestling has to be the worst thing I watch. I mean, I wwatch Stargate, which would probably get the "nerd" response, but I haven't exactly hidden that around here, rife with all the real men...I'll try not to laugh aqt that.

Hell, I'll even watch a bad movie if there's a killer soundtrack. Tarrantino could make one of his "I hire bad actors because making shitty movies is artistic," and if the score was good enough, I'd probably watch it. Half the movies I've really enjoyed in the past 5 years are kids movies. My friends and I actually walk around--grown fucking adults-- and repeat lines from The Emporer's New Groove and Finding Nemo. Oh, and I like 10 things I hate about you. Fuck the "anti Teen Movie" thing, I actually threatened to do the thing LEdger did with the high school band to my girlfriend once.

In short, if people don't like watch I do in my leisure time, that's fine. I'm just hoping this really does drive the point home, to truncate this discussion. I know some people are embarrassed. That strikes me as a sheepish way to live life.

Is there anything unclear in all that?

(No offense, man. Just trying to be clear on this, since there seems to be something we're not meshing on...)
"Some things people would be surprised that you like."

Yeah, kind of fits the bill.

By the way, Finding Nemo = "MINE?!! MINE MINE!! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!!" (Damn, I never saw the movie and I KNOW of that scene). Basically, Pixar could be mistaken for the second coming of Christ.

And can you please name me a few people that DON'T like B2M, or at least don't like a single song they have done? They're, like, fucking LEGENDS now!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #17
Kane Knight
Ron Paul 4 EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpower
"Some things people would be surprised that you like."

Yeah, kind of fits the bill.

By the way, Finding Nemo = "MINE?!! MINE MINE!! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!!" (Damn, I never saw the movie and I KNOW of that scene). Basically, Pixar could be mistaken for the second coming of Christ.

And can you please name me a few people that DON'T like B2M, or at least don't like a single song they have done? They're, like, fucking LEGENDS now!
Your question though, the one I responded to, was a question of what I would be reticent to admit to people. Are we forgetting this?

And yes, a large number of people scoff at Boys 2 Men. Even "legends" get mocked, and can be frowned upon. See Also: Hair Metal (Come to think of it, I have a Whitesnake compilation somewhere around here...).

There is nothing particular I wouldn't be forthcoming about. I think it's incredibly sad to have tastes that fit that description.

Oh, and ct2k mentioned M5. I love them. Partially because they have some good tunes, and partially because they're so fucking wrong. Anyone who can get a song on a kid's compilation about FINGER FUCKING is immediately aces in my book. But also, they have some good songs. I have tabs for Harder to BReathe on here.

But like anything else I listen to, anyone thinsk I should be ashamed or embarrassed because they're commercial or they're pop can go fuck themselves. [\Cheney]
Old 04-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #18
Skippord
I'm Mr. White Christmas

Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Skippord makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Nerd
Skippord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #19
ct2k
Triple A

ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
B2M are one of my favourite musical groups of any genre ever infinity times ten.

Also

Maroon 5 have done some catchy tunes
ct2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
ct2k
Triple A

ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ct2k makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Oh, and I also know the lyrics to 'I Swear' by All For One

They don't make multi-ethnic one-hit-wonder boy bands like that anymore
Old 05-01-2007, 03:42 AM   #21
darkpower
Why So Curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k
Oh, and I also know the lyrics to 'I Swear' by All For One

They don't make multi-ethnic one-hit-wonder boy bands like that anymore
It would be hard not to. On a local radio station here on their nightly countdown when that song was "the shit", it had a LONG time right at #1 (52 weeknights, I think).
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
Blitz
Angel Headed Hipster

Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I Swear was awesome
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #23
Kane Knight
Ron Paul 4 EVA

Howabout the Donnas?

I think I have all their records, and was just reminded of them from GH. Is this something "unexpected?" I know ONE person who was surprised....
Old 05-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #24
NeanderCarl
That's Not My Name

NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Probably Travis and Lightning Seeds, although I wouldn't try to hide the fact.

New Travis album out this week, by the way, and it's awesome.

NeanderCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #25
NeanderCarl
That's Not My Name

NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)NeanderCarl puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
That's quite a pointless Ben Stiller cameo though, isn't it?
NeanderCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #26
ct2k
Triple A

Neyo

I know its by-the-numbers pop'n'b but goddamnit I like him
Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #27
Shaggy
Yipee Kai Yay!!!

Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus

Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #28
mitch_h

mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)mitch_h got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
I don't know, Neil Diamond...
mitch_h is offline   Reply With Quote