TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #41
ron the dial
the heartbreak king

ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
because everybody has the same definition of attractive...

and to say that jim and pam getting together is stupid is stupid. you can only drag it out for so long until it gets to be annoying and completely unbelievable. the chemistry and attraction was too strong for it to never happen. the show has so much more depth than "jim chasing pam".

and i don't hate karen at all. i thought she was a great addition to the show, and especially liked her appearance in "branch wars."
ron the dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #42
RBM
RoggaN

RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)
Not everyone has the same definition of attractive, but their are fairly objective guidelines when defining these things that don't hinder personal taste. I think Angelina Jolie is hideous, but I completely accept and understand why many believe she's the hottest girl on the planet. I hate the movie 'The Godfather' but I fully understand why it's viewed as one of the greatest films ever.

It's quite a bit more realistic to have someone long for someone else for pretty much ever. Just about everyone has a girl/guy or two in their life that they've crushed on forever and they'll never, ever have a chance with them for various reasons. But of course this is the land of fantasy TV, and lo and behold, Pam's fiance just happens to be a huge asshole. Couple that with the fact that Jim is a bit of a prick and dumped two pretty nice girls over the course of 3 seasons simply because they aren't Pam.

Obviously if you didn't hate Karen, then my statement never pertained to you. However, several people not only on this message board, but in other far reaches of the interweb or people I know in real life do hate her and unjustly accused the character of being a bitch purely because she got in the way of their precious 'Jam'.

This isn't a drama. Or even a dramedy. This is a comedy. It centers on the strength of the ensemble cast and the ability to showcase the neverending mediocrity and mundanity in a workplace environment. When the very base and premises of the show start to get shaken up, things can go downhill, particularly on comedies.

This to me, is why season 4 felt quite a bit off. Not only because of Jim and Pam's relationship but also Ryan's rise in the company due to not only removing Ryan from everything that made him Ryan (Michael's man crush on him, his attitude that he's basically unimportant and invisible to everyone, his hated relationship with Kelly) but also the removal of Jan as Michael's boss.

Of course at the end of the day, none of this shit matters because Dwight is the man and they'll probably never change him.
RBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #43
ron the dial
the heartbreak king

ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)ron the dial makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
but they did change him in the fourth season. he is much more vulnerable as a human being than he was in any other by ending his relationship with angela. so did he get worse? no. and i don't think anybody else did either. what you're doing here is essentially "well i loved the band's first cd but everything else afterwards sucked because they changed their sound." this show can't continue if they don't progress the characters. i don't want to see jim pining for pam, pam stuck with roy, angela and dwight sneaking around, ryan unhappy with kelly, and jan attempting to reconcile her fucked up feelings for michael. it would get old and it would get old fast. the changes that they made in the 4th season were essential (in my opinion, obviously) to create any more longevity for the show. the "neverending mediocrity and mudanity in a workplace environment" had been firmly established, and this is television. things need to change to garner interest/ratings. if i wanted to watch "mediocrity and mundanity" i would watch my everyday life, not the office.

i don't know. i think almost everything they've done has been a good progression, except for andy/angela and darryl/kelly which i think were stupid fucking pairings that never needed to happen (although i see the value as plot devices kind of sort of).
Old 09-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #44
RBM
RoggaN

RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)RBM is pretty cool (5,000+)
You don't want to watch mediocrity. You want to watch funny people reacting to mediocrity. I simply don't like certain aspects of where the show is going. Hey, if everything turns out well and the show continues to make me laugh, then great. I just have that feeling that things are on their way down. I hope I'm wrong.

South Park. 11 years of very few changes. Sure you went from Kenny dying every episode, to him being permanently dead, to him never dying any more. Garrison's sex change. A few scrub characters being phased out completely. A few characters such as Butters and Randy Marsh going from background scenery to being huge parts of the show. Which is something that The Office could've done themselves. Give more screen time to certain other characters.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in my opinion right now is quite possibly the strongest comedy show out there and they are on the verge of their fourth season where the only significant change to the entire series so far is the addition of Danny Devito as the father of two of the characters. For 3 straight seasons, they've followed the same formula. 3 30ish year old guys and a girl own a bar in Philly and do stupid shit on a daily basis.

As much as you think you need to change things up to avoid things becoming stale, you also need to be wary of not alienating your audience.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #45
Kenny
Luke 15:11-32

Kenny has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)Kenny has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)
My wife and I are really looking forward to season 5.

Earlier RBM mentioned that the tension between Jim and Pam made up a huge part of the appeal to the show. I'd actually expect that tension to continue, and here's why.

Pam got accepted into some kind of art school in New York during last season. Ryan wants Pam, and Ryan is in New York. My wife originally brought that up to me and I think she has a valid point. Although Ryan did go to prison, I can imagine he will get out and probably even use a sympathetic "I just got out of prison, struggle with drugs, and need somebody to help me turn my life around" angle to manipulate Pam into hanging out with him. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Ryan and Pam at least come close sleeping together, and I don't think Jim and Pam will get married.

What pisses me off about this season is it seems like romance is the center issue of almost everything going on. Dwight and Angela are involved in a love triangle now, Michael must choose between Jan and the new girl, Pam is expecting a proposal from Jim; and God only knows where all of that is going to end up.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #46
RBM
RoggaN

Yeah, exactly about the relationships angle. It's reminding me of shit like Grey's Anatomy where every doctor in the damn place is sleeping with the other doctors there. Now, of course office romances aren't that uncommon... people get close to people they have to be around constantly and whatnot, but some of these percentages are even too far fetched for television. Throw in all the potential situations where you have to be around the person you broke up with constantly and it's blah.

Now about the Pam/Ryan angle... I highly, highly doubt it. She's never shown any interest toward Ryan and I'm sure you'd have to assume that Jim would have bitched to Pam about him treating Jim like shit and then throw in the drugs and the arrest and whatnot and Pam wouldn't go down that road. I could see them throwing some new person into the mix to catch her eye or something to shake things up, but I don't see it being Ryan. I read some speculation or maybe just complete bullshit that Ryan could end up working in the warehouse with Daryl. That could be funny.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #47
Kenny

Kenny has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)Kenny has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)
Good comparison with Grey's Anatomy.

I think it's good to have "a" relationship angle because that's something people can relate to. The problem is that the characters involved in controversial love angles seem to be stuck in some kind of emotional void. By now, we've all been in a situation where we want to know if somebody is attracted to us and we are constantly battling the anxiety of not being with that person. Most of us have been involved in a situation where we need to pick one person or the other. Most of us have been in a situation where the Ex wants to come back to us despite their current relationship. In each of these situations, things just don't seem normal. We can't just live our lives and be ourselves, until we close the lid on these situations. (Of course, some people can; but most people can't.)

I want to see an "average day" at the Office. Instead of worrying about who Angela is going to choose and whether or not Jim will propose to Pam, I want to think about who is going to be the next person to find their office supplies molded into a plate of Jello. I want to anticipate the next big prank on Dwight. They're just going a little too far off for me.

On a side note, and completely unrelated. I got hired in an office last year, and a few months ago the woman who handles the union business for our factory employees came in for a meeting. I heard her say she was from Scranton, so I asked her if "The Office" was really filmed in Scranton. According to her it is. I'm considering heading up some time during filming. Maybe I can get a couple of autographs or photos.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #48
RBM
RoggaN

Nah, it's not filmed in Scranton. Pretty sure it's filmed in the normal California studios. They do a good job with some subtle background stuff from Northeastern Pennsylvania and most of the places they've named like Wilkes Barre and Carbondale are all real surrounding areas and I guess John Krasinksi filmed the opening title with the city sign and shit with his friends when they went through Scranton.

Last year they had an Office Convention in Scranton for a few days out in the rain where all but the main 5 characters attended. I didn't go, but I guess it was fairly popular.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #49
Kenny

LoL, seriously?

That woman told me they film it in Scranton, and even went into detail about how the locals get all pissed off every year because of the city roads that they close down. I'm going to have to look it up and call her on it next time I see her.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #50
Kris P Lettus
Listen to Killer Mike

Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
They are pretty open about the fact they shoot in California..

You can see a portion of that convention online or the entire hour as a special disc in the Special Edition Season 4 DVD set..
Kris P Lettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #51
Kenny

That's hilarious. I would have considered that maybe she was just talking about a one time event involving the cast of the Office, but she was pretty clear in stating that the people of Scranton are upset "every year" when they film because of traffic issues.

I always knew the Union was screwed up for our company, but not THAT screwed up. I can't wait to tell everyone tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #52
ron the dial
the heartbreak king

i think they filmed the first season on location and then relocated to california.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #53
Fox
"Ask him!"

Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Just thought of something while watching "Goodbye, Toby" again last night.

Since Pam is going to New York, maybe Toby caught wind of it before he left and now he's going to kind of "happen to be" in New York at the same places Pam is at, playing a fine line between stalker and pathetic love interest. It could get really creepy.

Can't wait to see what happens to Ryan either. I hope the rumors about him working in the
SPOILER: show
warehouse
are true because it would be awesome.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #54
Kris P Lettus
Listen to Killer Mike

Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kris P Lettus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
i think they filmed the first season on location and then relocated to california.
No..

They first season was done at a "real" office location, which they then built set to replicate for season two on..
Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #55
ron the dial
the heartbreak king

well dammit there are clips of the real scranton in the opening credits!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #56
RBM
RoggaN

Yeah, as I had mentioned, John and his friends drove through Scranton and took some footage. They do do a good job of keeping that 'crappy little city in Pennsylvania' feel, though.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #57
Kris P Lettus
Listen to Killer Mike

TONIGHT
Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #58
Fox
"Ask him!"

Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
thirty minutes to goooo
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #59
ron the dial
the heartbreak king

lol hammering an apple
Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #60
RBM
RoggaN

That wasn't a tape worm.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #61
PapaGeorgio
2015 TPWW FANTASY CHAMP

PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)PapaGeorgio puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
I hate pam's new friend, i hope he gets lead poisoning from a pencil when hes drawing or something.
PapaGeorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #62
Blitz
Angel Headed Hipster

Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
lol fucking Creed. "That's not a tapeworm".

Ryan doing reception
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #63
RBM
RoggaN

LOL Toby.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #64
Blitz
Angel Headed Hipster

Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blitz makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Proposal

You know, I really hope they don't handle this the way every other sitcom does, with stupid misunderstandings and dumb shit that keeps apart a couple every person knows will be together at the end of the series. Let the wedding go off without a hitch, let them be happy. Wring comedy from them being together, not drama from keeping them apart.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #65
Fox
"Ask him!"

I love Holly.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #66
Kris P Lettus
Listen to Killer Mike

Was it me or was the continuity of Micheal's goatee fucked up.. Like he had it, then you you finbd out he is copying Ryan, than he didn't have it (right around the half way point of the ep) only the get it back later, then to shave it off cause Ryan did..

Gotta rewatch it online sometime this weekend to see..

Good episode other than that..
Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #67
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I swear to God, if Pam cheat on Jim with that Fake Jim at school, a la Kelly cheating on Zack with Jeff in Saved by the Bell, I will fucking kill someone.
Hanso Amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #68
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Great episode though, the introduction of Holly and that whole storyline will be great.

I love the Ryan as a Temp thing, funny!

Im still worried about Jim and Pam's storyline, I doubt they let them get married so easily, I know they are going to break up, then get back together in the final season.Calling it now, and it pisses me off so much.

Bernard is the shit, going to love this season with the Angela/Dwight thing.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #69
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

This is kind of a season of Love Triangles.

Ryan wants Kelly who is with darrell

Holly likes Michael who is with Jan

Dwight is cheating with Angela who is with Andy

They are teasing a Student and pam who is with Jim.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #70
Fox
"Ask him!"

I think the art student is just a macguffin. He'll try something and we'll think she's going to give in but she tells him to fuck off. then we go to a talking head and she says "What'd you expect? ..... I'm getting MARRIED!"
Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #71
MVP
Mas Vagina Porfavor

MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)MVP has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGeorgio View Post
I hate pam's new friend, i hope he gets lead poisoning from a pencil when hes drawing or something.
lol took the words out of my mouth.

Also, Jim proposing at the gas station = pimp
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #72
Blitz
Angel Headed Hipster

Last night was so good. Fucking cracked up at Dwight when Jim was talking about Battlestar Galactica.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #73
The Genius
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
lmao at michael trying to punish meredith with no sex for 6 months.
The Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #74
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Last night was so good. Fucking cracked up at Dwight when Jim was talking about Battlestar Galactica.
Oh god that was so funny! I couldnt stop laughing at that. I know some people like that, and the way that Jim was just making it way over the top to piss him off was great.

ROFL at Dwight pissing in a pop bottle.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #75
ron the dial
the heartbreak king

i call this...the bumper test
Old 10-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #76
The Genius
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The Genius has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
astird
Old 10-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #77
The Genius
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
i call this...the bumper test
rofl.

"playtime is over!"

tosses stroller off a stack of tires.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #78
The Genius
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

YES! michael and holly.................
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #79
ron the dial
the heartbreak king

lol assturd i totally forgot about that
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #80
U-Warrior
Not Fignuts OLE!

U-Warrior is good (20,000+)U-Warrior is good (20,000+)U-Warrior is good (20,000+)U-Warrior is good (20,000+)U-Warrior is good (20,000+)U-Warrior is good (20,000+)U-Warrior is good (20,000+)U-Warrior is good (20,000+)
If a baby were president, there would be no taxes and no wars.
U-Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote