TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Old 09-14-2015, 03:37 AM   #1
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Better Face or Heel?

For this week's podcast, we're taking a look at eight wrestlers and discussing whether or not they were better in their role as a babyface or a heel over the course of their career, considering their work in the ring as well as analysing their characters/personalities/runs, and would love to get your thoughts and feedback on the following individuals and whether you prefer them as faces or heels, and most important, why:

1. Randy Savage

2. Ric Flair

3. The Rock

4. Kurt Angle

5. Mick Foley

6. Shawn Michaels

7. Bret Hart

8. Daniel Bryan

As always the best contributions will be read on the podcast and you'll be credited accordingly. So what do you think?

EDIT - The show discussing your comments on who was a better heel or face is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean....FaceOrHeel.mp3

Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later
**Featuring interviews with members of the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Shane Douglas, Mark Coleman, Alex Marvez, Les Thatcher and many more close friends and colleagues**
Available on Amazon now:
http://amzn.to/2h93SxL

Last edited by hb2k; 09-19-2015 at 05:57 AM.
hb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #2
Wishbone
I'm a loner, Dottie...

Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
1. Randy Savage - Face. I didn't grow up with him so I only have old videos to go on, but from what I've seen I've always enjoyed the face stuff more.

2. Ric Flair - Heel. Does this really need explanation? Ric Flair is THE heel of pro-wrestling. No one does it better IMHO. He's got the persona down perfectly, and even his look screams "I'm a dochebag and I'm better than you. What you gonna do about it?".

3. The Rock - He's really great at both roles, but overall I'd say heel Rocky is just a little more interesting. As a face Rock is just the smiling, wisecracking, prototypical babyface. Albeit a very good prototypical babyface. As a heel though he's damn near unmatched by anyone.

4. Kurt Angle - Strangely enough I prefer face Angle. He's just always had a very likable onscreen persona. I also feel like the American hero thing is a character that pro-wrestling needs too, and he fit that role perfectly.

5. Mick Foley - Face. Foley is one of my all time favorite wrestlers, and a big part of that was his title win. He's like a lovable uncle, but at the same time he's also one of the baddest men on the planet, and the crazy thing is he's believable in both those roles.

6. Shawn Michaels - Heel. HBK just oozes cocky jackass just like Flair. He's better than you and he knows it. I mean he calls himself the Heart Break Kid, and his entrance music is literally him telling you how great he is.

7. Bret Hart - Face. Perfect antithesis to HBK IMO.

8. Daniel Bryan - Face. He's the greatest underdog the WWE's had in years. Hell, I'd almost argue he's the best. The guy's story was amazing from start to finish, his humble persona made him extremely likable, and he is basically the superstar of the people. If Stone Cold represented what the average Joe wished he could do/be then Daniel Bryan represented what the average Joe is.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
The Condor
Re-Branded

The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)
1. Randy Savage-- As far as I'm concerned, he killed at both, but I love heel Savage more. He was so unhinged that it just worked perfectly.

2. Ric Flair-- a the greatest heel of all time, goes without saying.

3. The Rock-- "Hollywood" Rock cements him as an outstanding and entertaining heel.

4. Kurt Angle-- Heel, because it feels as though that mostly what he was in his WWE career, though his face run against Jarrett 4 years ago was $$.

5. Mick Foley- Prototypical underdog babyface.

6. Shawn Michaels- He created the "cool heel" in WWF, but most of his career was as a face, and, aside from 1996, I think he excelled in the role.

7. Bret Hart-- He wants to be the conquering hero because it seems like kayfabe and real life are blurred in his world, but his 1997 run was his most entertaining, so I'll go heel.

8. Daniel Bryan-- The ultimate modern babyface. You just love him.
The Condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Randy Savage: Face. He was a great heel early on but he's one of those guys who, once you got used to him as a face, it just became impossible for him to go back. His later WWF run just made him too likeable of a character. To the point where when he turned heel in WCW, it just never felt right to me.

Ric Flair: Heel. Obviously. He was the perfect arrogant heel and any face run after that was basically just people loving him for being the greatest heel of all time.

The Rock: Face. He's probably the best shit-talker of all time, which should be more of a heel trait but he was just SO good at it that it made him "cool". Cooler than a heel should be.

Kurt Angle: Face. Definitely. And not just when he was being silly and loveable milk-drinker. His badass "real wrestler" persona in ECW is underrated. I'm a huge fan of badass face types and he was perfect at it long before Lesnar took over the role. His heel runs were fine but there just wasn't as many places you could go with it.

Mick Foley: Face. I think. It's close. His heel promos are the stuff of legends and the only real reason I can give for choosing face is that he's the most likeable wrestler ever. It's hard to ignore that now.

Shawn Michaels: Face... in his "second career" at least. His heel run pre-98 may have been better than his face run but the stuff he did after the comeback. He was so good at drawing sympathy and playing the "underdog coming back late in the match for a miracle win" role that I've gotta lean toward face.

Bret Hart: Heel. Anti-American Bret was by far the most personality he ever showed and his most entertaining run.

Daniel Bryan: Face. He's tiny and about as intimidating as a butterfly. As a heel, there's a limited number of things you can do with a guy like that. It's basically the annoying little weasel or nothing. And there's only so many times you can build that kind of heel up to getting the shit kicked out of him before it's not fun to watch anymore. As a face, he can always play the underdog role.
#1-norm-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Blonde Moment
It's all Bullshit

Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Blonde Moment makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
1. Randy Savage - Heel

2. Ric Flair -Heel

3. The Rock - Great at both

4. Kurt Angle - Face

5. Mick Foley - Liked him better as Heel Mankind

6. Shawn Michaels - Worked better as a heel in his youth but loved him as a face later on

7. Bret Hart - Face. Mainly that I think his anti American gimmick is what clouded fans views on Montreal

8. Daniel Bryan - Face. Might have worked well as an attitude era heel if he was allowed to show a little more of his repertoire.
Blonde Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Simple Fan
Let me talk to ya

Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
1. Randy Savage- Face, he was good as a heel but his best work was as a face. Savage fed off his fans as a face and it showed.

2. Ric Flair- Heel, he's the dirtiest player in the game enough said.

3. The Rock- Face, feel like his heel work when he was younger was better. He is also the Peoples Champ so face.

4. Kurt Angle- Heel, him being a Olympic hero makes him a good face but when the dude us heel it seems like he gets into it more. He can be a real dick head as a wheel and I like it.

5. Mick Foley- Face , Mrs. Foley's baby boy.

6. Shawn Michaels- Heel, Always like heel Shawn. DX were at there best as heels, and the screw job made him a better heel.

7. Bret Hart-Face, he was great as a face with the glasses and the kids. Never liked him in the NWO, feel like he should have been a "free agent" like Sting and not joined up with the NWO and when he finally decided to side with WCW he would put an end to the NWO but no.

8. Daniel Bryan- Face, Not a fan of the guy but people love the dude and like to chant yes.
Simple Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Nicky Fives
b/c 5 is better than 4

Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
1-One of the few who could do both at the highest level, could not pick one or the other.
2-Heel without a doubt
3-Face, but by a slim margin.
4-Heel, his "I'm better than you, because I'm an Olympic gold medallist" gimmick at the beginning of his career was superb
5-Face-Crazy Heel Mankind was fun, but would never have gotten him the WWF Championship like his face run did
6-Heel, coked-and-pilled out asshole HBK ftw
7-Face, As much as I loved him, was not string enough on the mic to pull off an extended heel run
8-Face, His pops over the past few years have made it pretty obvious....
Nicky Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
1. Randy Savage- I'll say heel, because two of my favourite three feuds of Randy are with him as a heel. 1) vs DDP and 2) vs Hulk Hogan. Plus his initial run in the WWF was as a vicious, maniac of a heel, the prime example being Randy crushing Steamboat's larynx comes to mind and he was always hiding behind Liz when trouble came his way. One of my favourite promos of Macho's is leading into Mania 5 against Hogan, where he finally went full blown over the top heel, and he lambasted Hogan for his hot dogging and show boating, and his temper steadily rose as the promo progressed, to the point that by the end he was foaming at the mouth.

2. Ric Flair - Heel or face, Naitch is the same character. I would deem him a career long tweener, blending from one feud to the next heel or face depending on what was asked of him. His WWF run was as a heel, but that was because he was coming from Atlanta. He had the mannerisms of a heel, the panache of a loveable babyface.

3. The Rock- His most interesting feuds were as a heel. He seemed to bring the best out of his opponents when full fledged heeling on them. Low blow, personal attacks, cheating and lying his way through victory after victory. His dramatic selling was best suited for being a heel and although great as a face, made him less sympathetic during beat downs.

4. Kurt Angle- Vicious, wrestling machine heel seemed to actually come most naturally to him. Kurt was never more effective than when he was breaking the ankles of our fallen heroes, cursing spastically into the camera.

5. Mick Foley- Definitely jaded, down on his luck babyface pushed to the brink, ready to pull out all the stops, because he's a natural underdog, who needs to tap into the dark part of his personality to even the odds, as seen in his two best mainstream feuds against HHH in 2000 (particularly the streetfight at the rumble) and against Randy Orton during the Legend Killer run. That was the best of Foley and in both instances a very relatable babyface. He's decent as lovable goof, or shit head heel, but underdog, blood and guts babyface is his bread and butter.

6. Shawn Michaels- Sympathetic babyface but not over played such as his feud against JBL where he just frowned for two months. I'm thinking his comeback vs HHH and his work vs Jericho. As great as he is as a snot nosed heel, his selling and athleticism is best displayed as a babyface driven to the brink of desperation, channeling his heart and soul to really captivate the audience.

7. Bret Hart- Straight man, down the line babyface, who treats it like a real competition. He's willing to get salty when need be, but shows good sportsmanship, with a mild "pissed off" streak when things get heated or personal. Best displayed when he's been caught "slipping on a banana peel" as Bret puts in his book. See his losses to DiBiase, Bulldog and Owen, where he gets caught in quick pins, and he visibly mouths "FUCK" to the camera and sheer authentic disappointment. When he gets rolling and hits his trade mark moves, his fire is real, and he becomes the excellence of execution, after minutes of brilliant, gritty selling, getting the fans salivating for his comeback. He never brought the same over the top dramatics of HBK, but it was the nuance and subtlety of how he sold a knee, or how he capitalized on a mistake, using his craftiness to be considered one of the "best scientific wrestlers" in WWF championship history.

8. Daniel Bryan- I'm spent so I'll keep this one short. His frame, fire on his comebacks makes him the ultimate underdog babyface. To his credit, in the world of suspending disbelief, his comeback comes across as very believable because of the way he moves.
Ol Dirty Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
KIRA
Celestia's Left Hand

KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)KIRA makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Randy Savage-face just because its hard to dislike someone so colorful and animated

2. Ric Flair-heel Flair made you HATE him he was so good at pushing other wrestlers buttons and you booed the hell outta Flair because you could feel how frustrated and angry Flair made his opponents.

3. The Rock-Heel there's something noticeably more repetitive about The Rock as a face whereas heel rock has ALOT more room to play in as an ego maniacal prick.

4. Kurt Angle-Both goofy, vicious, wrestling machine all at once all believable.

5. Mick Foley Face.Even if you're familiar with Cactus Jack and Mankind everything about Foley just makes him too lovable to hate you just wanna hug the guy no matter how much he heels it up. The weird thing is he can be a really good heel.

6. Shawn Michaels Heel HBK was the primadonna asshole he played on TV.

7. Bret Hart heel. not only did it make him 10x more interesting but he did it so damn well ,you watch him during his whole anti -America shtick and it felt like he had a genuine gripe Bret the Role model suddenly found himself on the outs as his brand of good guy was replaced with the morally lax anti-hero. Bret decried the US as a morally bankrupt cesspool while espousing the virtues of Canada(the fact that in some cases he was right just made people hate him more) and it was great.

8. Daniel Bryan-Face. He is a walking wish fulfillment as much as Stone Cold was. Bryan is the physically unimposing, average looking badass we all want to be. His struggle to the top of the card(while fumbled at times) had so many amazing moments. It takes an amazing performer to make children,old-school wrestling fans and Jaded cynical attitude era loving smarks connect so strongly to a performers story. (his real-life struggles contributed) Foley might be the only other wrestler to even come close.
KIRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
Emperor Smeat
Former TPWW Royalty

Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
1. Randy Savage - Heel.

2. Ric Flair - Heel.

3. The Rock - Heel.

4. Kurt Angle - Face. One of the very few who could pull off doing comedic stuff really well and still manage to look like a legit threat whenever in the ring.

5. Mick Foley - Face. A lot more memorable stuff as a face especially post-Taker feud. Perfect fit to Rock as a big heel and Stone Cold as the big tweener during the Attitude Era in the WWE.

6. Shawn Michaels - Heel. Was leaning towards face for this one but some of HBK's really great work happened when he was the bad guy of a feud or group.

7. Bret Hart - Face.

8. Daniel Bryan - Face. Consider him similar to Foley as a huge crowd favorite of his time but someone the WWE wasn't going to revolve around unless things got drastic. His face run from Team Hell No till the present could have easily led him to become the new mega face of the WWE had injuries not derailed him and the WWE put more stock in his status.
Emperor Smeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
1. Randy Savage - Face. Dude was just so over-the-top and full of energy that you wanted to love him.... Who didn't want to root for Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth?

2. Ric Flair - Heel.... was going to say face because that is actually the majority of the work I have seen from him.... but I don't know... even with barely seeing his heel stuff, seems like he was a "Natural" at it...

3. The Rock - Heel by far... found him kind of "boring" as a face.... but as a heel he was also "cool" and "funny"....

4. Kurt Angle - This one if kind of tough... but I'll pick face... because the dude is just so good in the ring, that even when he was a heel you rooted for him...

5. Mick Foley - Face.... very likeable guy that you could really get behind....

6. Shawn Michaels - Face.... liked him better as serious/sometimes goofy face after his comeback.... Didn't like him too much before his comeback because he just seemed like such a terrible person IRL....

7. Bret Hart - Face by far..... His face run against Steve Austin is one of my favourites....

8. Daniel Bryan - Going to go opposite of everybody here and say heel.... Sure his face run was great, and the WM30 moment amazing.... but his character as a face was kind of "dull" in comparison.... I liked him as the slightly crazy/angry dude with a chip on his shoulder.... his stuff with AJ Lee was great, his feud with CM Punk sweet, and his feud and starting a team with Kane was great.....

After turning face he just seemed to rely on solely his catchphrase.... lost that "angry"/"crazy" edge to him.... also less "goofy"....
Lock Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Crippla
Anger

Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Tweener is where it's at!
Crippla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Can't wait to do this later.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #14
Crippla
Anger

Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Crippla got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Oh yeah I'm excited! Haven't got to read a nice analyzed Noid post since I've been back...
Crippla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:28 AM   #15
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
1. Randy Savage

-Despite having some fairly iconic moments as a heel, there seemed to be something rewarding about it being okay to cheer for Savage when he was a babyface. There was something "cooler" about him than most white-bread babyface personalities, and it's probably something made possible through his tremendous heel work. His "renegade' run in WCW circa 1996 was hot stuff too.

2. Ric Flair

-This is the easiest one to answer for me: Heel. 100% heel. Flair was, in many ways, the definitive heel. The tailor-made suits, the Rolex, the shoes that cost more than your house. Ric Flair has spent more money on rounds than most people's houses are worth. He'd rub your face in it too. He was credible, and you wanted to be him, but you'd pay good money to see that smugness humbled.

3. The Rock

-The "People's Champion" was just so much more interesting as a heel. It freed him up to be more...organic. Keep in mind that Hollywood Rock came somewhat out of The Rock's routine babyface shtick kind of wearing thin towards the end of the Attitude era. I guess his best work might have been done as a face, so you could make the case he was "better" during his face periods, but his heel persona was "better" to me.

4. Kurt Angle

-This is one of the trickier ones. Sometimes I felt like cheering the hell out of Angle, but other times I felt he needed to tear people apart. I think an underrated Angle is Heel Wrestling Machine Angle who would get cheered because everybody knew how good he was. I guess he was all around more entertaining as a heel, although he had plenty of hilarious moments as a face too.

5. Mick Foley

-He was very sympathetic as a babyface, and #1-wwf-fan is right when you say you can't really look past that. I mean, the guy is such a sympathetic face promo that he basically talked his way into needing to be put over Sting for the TNA World Title at Lockdown 2009. But how good was Mick Foley's heel work? The dude could be downright sinister when he needed to be. I feel like giving the nod to his face work, just because it was bizarrely sympathetic, was where Foley found most of his success, and built on the foundation of what Foley had been in the past. I feel that Bray Wyatt could end up in a very similar position in the future, if his character is allowed to drift towards the protagonist side of the morality spectrum.

6. Shawn Michaels

-There were few guys who could be such a good cocky prick, were there? There's no doubt that HBK could work convincing -- what with his great bumping and selling -- as a top tier babyface. And his comeback from 2002 was a resurrection story that everybody could get behind -- but when he cast shade over himself during that program with Hulk Hogan? How brilliant was that? Like Rock, he might be a better heel that had his biggest successes as a face.

7. Bret Hart

-To be honest, I've never seen much of Bret Hart, so I don't have the same emotional connection to him that fans at the time had. I look back at him with the rose-colored glasses of hindsight, and approach the topic with him already recognising him as a legend. So all that being said, I kind of found a lot of Bret's iconic babyface work a bit boring. I found Owen Hart more interesting during their program, and I think the world found Austin more interesting during theirs. It was once he turned heel that Hart really found fire as a personality, and started hitting it home on the mic. Again -- he's one of those guys that is iconic as a babyface, but look at how freakin' good he was as a heel.

8. Daniel Bryan

-I've always thought of Daniel Bryan as a babyface. When he won the Money in the Bank briefcase, I thought that they were genuinely going to build up the "boyhood dream" story for him and have it pay off at WrestleMania XXVIII. Then he cashed in on Big Show. "No, no, no -- this is not how a babyface is meant to win his first World Title," I thought. "YES! YES! YES!" It was. Bryan was genuinely assholic as a heel -- to Big Show, to AJ, to whomever he encountered. I really got a kick out of what a prick he could be, and I felt like his World Heavyweight Title reign could have lasted a lot longer -- but if we hadn't have had that 18 second loss to Sheamus at WrestleMania, we may not have gotten the hottest babyface we have seen since the Attitude era.

In conclusion: I guess I'm just a guy that likes heels more than faces.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:35 AM   #16
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I'm curious as to why Flair is on this list. He may be the last guy I would think this question would be necessary for. I'd like to hear from someone on the "face" side.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #17
Mr. Nerfect

I even want Ric Flair to be a heel now when he shows up. I want him to tell Sasha Banks to go back to the street corner she came from, and tell Paige that her mother took a ride on Space Mountain. WOOOO!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #18
Theo Dious
EATER OF HOT POCKETS

Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
1. Randy Savage
Brilliant at both but I have to say face. I really WANTED to see Savage win as a face far more than I cared if Hogan or Warrior won or lost. He had a connection to the crowd that I always felt was far more organic than the manufactured flavor of Hulkamania.

2. Ric Flair
Heel. He's the prototype cocky flamboyant heel.

3. The Rock
Probably more entertaining as a heel but he reaches true greatness as a face.

4. Kurt Angle
Heel. Face Angle never stood out as anything special but Olympic champion, broken freakin' neck Angle was fantastic.

5. Mick Foley
Face. Ultimate sympathetic unlikely hero.

6. Shawn Michaels
Face but only in his second run with his head on straight.

7. Bret Hart
Heel. The only time he was on top and truly interesting was when he started to turn on Austin and went on to form Hart Foundation v2.0. Of course Bret has me convinced that he's been an embittered whiner since even before Montreal so maybe it isn't all an act.

8. Daniel Bryan
Maybe an unpopular opinion but heel. I enjoyed MitB cash-in, AJ-shield using, early YES YES YES Bryan and the heel pairing with Kane much more than undrdog Bryan.
Theo Dious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
Theo Dious
EATER OF HOT POCKETS

Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
I'm curious as to why Flair is on this list. He may be the last guy I would think this question would be necessary for. I'd like to hear from someone on the "face" side.
I'm not on that side but I guess he'son the list because as great a heel as he was he's also so beloved by fans that it makes for good discussion.

Last edited by Theo Dious; 09-15-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Theo Dious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #20
Mercenary
New Arcade God

Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Mercenary got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Foley was better as a heel from the promos alone. When he was face it was all cheap pops and yelling socko. As a heel he put more depth in the promos nd still had good matches

Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #21
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Just wanted to thank everyone for the contributions - we got to a great number of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean....FaceOrHeel.mp3

Join us as we talk about the eight fantastic talents, and debate whether they were better as faces or heels throughout the course of their careers. Analysing the in-ring work, personalities and runs in various roles, we discuss Randy Savage, Ric Flair, The Rock, Daniel Bryan, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart and Kurt Angle, and take your comments on if they were better as beloved protagonists or nefarious rudos!! A fun show, check it out and let us know what you think!

Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later
**Featuring interviews with members of the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Shane Douglas, Mark Coleman, Alex Marvez, Les Thatcher and many more close friends and colleagues**
Available on Amazon now:
http://amzn.to/2h93SxL
Old 09-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #22
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

Would have liked to have seen Piper on the list. Seems like the perfect guy for a list like this. Good show though.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
Would have liked to have seen Piper on the list. Seems like the perfect guy for a list like this. Good show though.
Thanks very much :-) If the response is good to this show, we'll definitely revisit it in future with different guys. Austin is another than immediately comes to mind.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #24
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Keep the thread going then...

Roddy Piper
Steve Austin
Chris Jericho
Edge
Eddie Guerrero
Old 09-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #25
Nicky Fives
b/c 5 is better than 4

Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nicky Fives got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Piper: Heel no doubt, one of the best of all-time
Austin: Face no doubt, one of the best of all-time
Jericho: Heel
Edge: Heel, "Rated R Superstar" by far his best work
Eddie: Face, "Lie Cheat & Steal" by far his best work
Nicky Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #26
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

Austin is another guy like Flair (though maybe not to that level) that I can't really imagine a good argument for the heel side for.

I'd rank Piper as one of my most likeable wrestlers of all time though. Like Foley he was so fucking impossible to not love and get behind when he was a face that it leaves a conundrum when deciding because he also happened to be a legendary heel.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Jaw View Post
Keep the thread going then...

Roddy Piper
Steve Austin
Chris Jericho
Edge
Eddie Guerrero
Roddy Piper: Most of the stuff I have seen from him is actually as a face.... but the heel stuff I have seen is just so great that I would have to vote for heel.

Steve Austin: Going to have to go for heel by far here.... The only times I really enjoyed him was in his heel run vs Bret Hart and his heel run with Vince/Angle/Alliance

Chris Jericho: This one is actually probably not a very good one to discuss because I can't imagine anyone picking face.... he was just so good at being a heel...

Edge: I'd say his best was when with Christian and as a crazy heel. Never quite as good as Christian, though.

Eddie Guerrero: Great at both, but I'd have to go with face. His title run and character at the time was just the best... Felt like he was THE FACE of Smackdown in a way that no one ever was.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #28
Zeeboe

Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Zeeboe puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
1. Randy Savage - Heel. He looked mean and he said weird stuff on the mic.

2. Ric Flair - He was cocky and hilarious whenever he interacted with fans who didn't like him. I also loved how he would beg his foes off, then stick his thumb in their eye. He was highly entertaining as a heel.

3. The Rock - Heel. He actually became a face because he was such a good heel. He was more fun to watch when he was a heel.

4. Kurt Angle - Face. He just got stuck in the wrong era where good guys were booed. He would have been a hero in the 1980's.

5. Mick Foley - Depends on his gimmick. As Mankind, I loved him as a heel. He was scary, As Dude Love and Catcus Jack, he was a great face because he was always an underdog who you just had to cheer for.

6. Shawn Michaels - Heel. He was at his best as a heel and was the most entertaining.

7. Bret Hart - Face. He didn't have an over-the-top gimmick and he certainly wasn't as hyper as most men during his era on the mic, but he brought creditability to wrestling. His matches looked real and he acted how most normal people would act if professional wrestling was a real sport. i.e. Mature and intelligent.

8. Daniel Bryan - I don't watch wrestling today, so I have no comment.
Zeeboe is offline   Reply With Quote