TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
SCG Radio #96 - The Monday Night War Timeline: September 1998

Just to drop this in here, the latest Squared Circle Gazette Radio is now up, and it's the latest installment of the Monday Night War Timeline! Talking every Raw, Nitro and PPV from September 1998, complete with inside news and notes from the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of the time, we look at all the top issues and stories, including Ric Flair's illustrious return to WCW and the reformation of The Four Horsemen, the meteoric rise of The Rock, the complete shambles is WCW backstage, the diabolical Hogan/Warrior feud, Steve Austin rides a zamboni, Scott Hall's issues with booze get televised, the worst commentary showing of all time, and WWF makes a play for WCW's "biggest" star. With all the facts, figures and little known plans, a really fun show this week - check it out and let us know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean...._September.mp3

Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later
**Featuring interviews with members of the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Shane Douglas, Mark Coleman, Alex Marvez, Les Thatcher and many more close friends and colleagues**
Available on Amazon now:
http://amzn.to/2h93SxL
hb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I've been really enjoying the timeline series. Cannot believe a sober Billy Kidman couldn't beat a drunk Scott Hall.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:10 AM   #3
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I had a major hard-on for The Rock in 1998. I was actually a huge Rock fan before he became big.

His whole feud with DX as the leader of the Nation was awesome. His brief face-turn after Summerslam 98 was awesome as well. I still recall the time when Kane and Taker got in D'Lo Brown's face, and then Rock stood up for D'Lo and got in Kane/Taker's face (D'Lo then ran away to the back, lol).

Actually, that's one thing I have with regards to Austin and Rocky. I had a major hard-on for both Austin and Rocky before they hit it big.

Austin became my favorite wrestler in 1997, while Rocky became my co-favorite in 1998.
Heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:43 AM   #4
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
I'm with you on Rock - we've said it on these timelines, but Rock was clearly gold for months by the time Summerslam came around, and it was when he did the People's Elbow on the ladder on Trips that it almost felt like the rest of the world figured it out at once. An awesome feeling to get in on the ground floor with the guy and ride the wave of success with them to the top, a massively missing element nowadays because "elevations" are only elevations to a point.

But the month or two we're discussing at the moment, September and October, is that golden time where Rock hasn't really done anything to turn babyface, he's just being The Rock, feuding with top guys, looking great and acknowledging the crowd just that little bit more.

Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later
**Featuring interviews with members of the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Shane Douglas, Mark Coleman, Alex Marvez, Les Thatcher and many more close friends and colleagues**
Available on Amazon now:
http://amzn.to/2h93SxL
hb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb2k View Post

But the month or two we're discussing at the moment, September and October, is that golden time where Rock hasn't really done anything to turn babyface, he's just being The Rock, feuding with top guys, looking great and acknowledging the crowd just that little bit more.
Ah.

My apologies, as I got overzealous when I saw this thread and didn't see the specific timeline.

I do have fond memories of September/October 98' as it relates to The Rock. Two memories stand-out to me the most (aside from the Rock/D'Lo/Kane/Taker scenario I mentioned).

1) The Rock vs. Darren Drozdov. This was the night when X-Pac, Billy, and Road Dogg performed with Motley Crue I believe. However, this was also the first night when Rocky came out to his new, "Do you smell what The Rock is cooking?" (non-Nation) theme.

One thing I specifically remember was when The Rock caught Drozdov in The Rock Bottom, and the crowd went nuts (as did I). The crowd went apeshit as The Rock prepared to do the people's elbow (as did I!). The Rock drilled Drozdov with the people's elbow, and 1....2....3. Crowd went apeshit and I went apeshit. It was at that moment that I knew The Rock would be one of my all-time favorites forever.

2) Rock/Mankind/Ken Shamrock vs. Taker/Kane. This match was funny for me, as Taker and Kane had recently united and were on the same page. Their opponents however, absolutely hated one another! Kane and Taker just sort of stood their scratching their heads, as The Rock, Mankind, and Ken Shamrock beat the living shit out of each other. Great times.
Heyman is offline   Reply With Quote