TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Old 05-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Swiss Ultimate
Amazon Affiliate

Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Why was Giant so much better than Big Show?

Booking.

I'm actually surprised that Paul Wight's been able to be as entertaining as he has been with the constant misuse. Misuse may be the wrong word because, it's not like Paul's booked as bad as Kane or Mike Knox. He's a solid performer in his role as unmotivated big man or gentle giant hasn't been awful.

However, a monster heel Paul Wight in the WWE has never really made an appearance. Why not? Isn't it an obvious move? Isn't it still, even now, a legitimate idea?

Paul Wight could have a mental breakdown after a loss to Cena, sparking him on a spree of terror that has him chokeslamming every face or heel that gets in his way. He could completely dominate everyone, it's not unthinkable.

It's time to make TPWW MEAT again!

Quote:
Unlike traditional grills which cook food from a single, direct heat source, the Pit Barrel® Cooker’s cylindrical shape and “Hook-and-Hang” method places the food in the center of the action, heating the meat from all sides at once, producing consistently great-tasting, perfectly cooked meat every time.

Also have some popcorn.
Swiss Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I like Big Show enough. The thing about him, though, is that in any role he doesn't really last long before he becomes stale. Prior to his stuff with Jack Swagger, I can't actually remember a storyline I really cared about.

Even though Paul Heyman books him effectively as a heel monster, I much prefer face Big Show. I think it plays off his personality more, and there's such a sure thing about Big Show kicking ass that I think people can get behind. For example: I don't think I get as excited about Show as much as I do when he is waiting for a hot tag. His partner is getting his ass kicked, but then Show is tagged in, and it's like "Now you're going to get your ass kicked!"

Right now, the feud I most want to see Big Show in, is one versus Dolph Ziggler. After Ziggler has put Kane and Khali down with his Sleeper Hold, I think it would make an interesting angle to have Ziggler try and bring down the biggest man in the WWE with the move. Ziggler also works great with larger opponents.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
erickman
king of sucks

erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)erickman puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post
I like Big Show enough. The thing about him, though, is that in any role he doesn't really last long before he becomes stale. Prior to his stuff with Jack Swagger, I can't actually remember a storyline I really cared about.

Even though Paul Heyman books him effectively as a heel monster, I much prefer face Big Show. I think it plays off his personality more, and there's such a sure thing about Big Show kicking ass that I think people can get behind. For example: I don't think I get as excited about Show as much as I do when he is waiting for a hot tag. His partner is getting his ass kicked, but then Show is tagged in, and it's like "Now you're going to get your ass kicked!"

Right now, the feud I most want to see Big Show in, is one versus Dolph Ziggler. After Ziggler has put Kane and Khali down with his Sleeper Hold, I think it would make an interesting angle to have Ziggler try and bring down the biggest man in the WWE with the move. Ziggler also works great with larger opponents.
yeah i like face show better too, rember when wwe got that boxer mayweather, show was suposed to be the heel but the fans would have none of that an cheered show.
erickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Wolfpack423

Wolfpack423 is "reptacular" (2,500+)Wolfpack423 is "reptacular" (2,500+)Wolfpack423 is "reptacular" (2,500+)
I don't know I think he had an effective monster heel run during his best run which was July-December 2006 as ECW Champion, turning back challengers left and right, was the McMahons/Paul Heymans backup when they needed. he dominated Cena, RVD, DX, Batista, King Booker, The Undertaker, Kane, Ric Flair.
Wolfpack423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Favre4Ever
Incoming Text

Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)
I agree. His earlier success was based a bit more on spectacle IMO, and so it was so easy for them to book him. Since then, Wright has achieved more "celebrity" than he had in the 90's, and I think that may have something to do with more current booking.

The problem with the monster heel turn concept now for him is it's finally approached the "been there, done that" zone. There was a thread earlier in the week about how many face/heel turns he's gone through since coming to the WWE; it's been over twenty.
Favre4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Favre4Ever
Incoming Text

Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)Favre4Ever is pretty cool (5,000+)
Another thing about Big Show is that WWE can never escape the "slay the giant" angle, which normally culminates pretty quickly, and then when he's been embarrassingly toppled they don't really seem to know where to go.
Favre4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
And that's exactly it. After The Giant has been toppled, he's got that vulnerability about him where it doesn't really make sense for him to still be king of the mountain -- so he drops away, changes alignment, or whatever. The monster angle then recharges its batteries and it's rinse, wash, repeat.

I actually admire Show for how long he has lasted in the business, though, without his credibility really being too diminished (except for a time in 2001, where I seem to remember him being quite the undercard performer).
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
TheAdamEvansFan
Adam Evans = Tough Enough

TheAdamEvansFan is an awful personTheAdamEvansFan is an awful personTheAdamEvansFan is an awful person
Giant had more of a Mic Role and was set up as a huge top of the business in WCW and couldn't be knocked down. He would stop Nitro and Thunder on many occassions and pull a lot of unorthodox stuff with the NWO and other factions, or just by himself.

He was a loner at times..

He was definetly anti establishment which is pretty much opposite of what his character is today

Today like Kane, he's fat, washed up, and gimmick-less.

In WCW, he was getting HUGE buildups vs Nash, The Giant vs The Giant, vs Goldberg, The Giant vs The Machine, etc... Nowadays, It's matches like Big Show vs Swagger, A mean bully babyface vs a heel who has a lisp.

The whole Big Show vs Khali storyline reminded me of The Giant vs Giant, but then we soon realized that Khali can't wrestle like Nash, and definetly can't work the Mic or Crowd like Nash.

Big Show like Kane definetly need to be rebranded and redebut.

Whether it's a completely new gimmick, or just get in better shape, it just needs to be done.

It's like the same thing with Cena, people want to see his character be changed up.
TheAdamEvansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
blak23

blak23 is "reptacular" (2,500+)blak23 is "reptacular" (2,500+)blak23 is "reptacular" (2,500+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdamEvansFan View Post
Giant had more of a Mic Role and was set up as a huge top of the business in WCW and couldn't be knocked down. He would stop Nitro and Thunder on many occassions and pull a lot of unorthodox stuff with the NWO and other factions, or just by himself.

He was a loner at times..

He was definetly anti establishment which is pretty much opposite of what his character is today

Today like Kane, he's fat, washed up, and gimmick-less.

In WCW, he was getting HUGE buildups vs Nash, The Giant vs The Giant, vs Goldberg, The Giant vs The Machine, etc... Nowadays, It's matches like Big Show vs Swagger, A mean bully babyface vs a heel who has a lisp.

The whole Big Show vs Khali storyline reminded me of The Giant vs Giant, but then we soon realized that Khali can't wrestle like Nash, and definetly can't work the Mic or Crowd like Nash.

Big Show like Kane definetly need to be rebranded and redebut.

Whether it's a completely new gimmick, or just get in better shape, it just needs to be done.

It's like the same thing with Cena, people want to see his character be changed up.
i disagree, Big Show like Kane is at the end of his rope and serves the purpose of putting guys over. The thing about these 2 is that they've had their glory years, are long past them and now are doing more to help the business. there is no point to repackage them because at this point they will not achieve any kind of greatness because they will always be big show and kane.

the only people that want to see Cena go heel are the folks of the IWC. there is no point to turn him heel its not logical
blak23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
St. Jimmy
Last of a Dying Forum

St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)St. Jimmy got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Booking and Workrate
St. Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Rammsteinmad
TPWW's #3 Peep

Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Every time Big Show takes time off etc, he comes back and destroys everyone for a week or two, before getting back into the swing of things.

Therefore, DttS's idea is flawed.
Rammsteinmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
TheAdamEvansFan
Adam Evans = Tough Enough

TheAdamEvansFan is an awful personTheAdamEvansFan is an awful personTheAdamEvansFan is an awful person
That's exactly what I'm talking about...

Big vs small, suppose to be David vs Goliath and yet Big Show is such an awful actor that he can't turn the crowd against him completely.

It might be due to his limitations on the MIC & IN THE RING.

But I'm tired of his PUNCHING FIST like he's the biggest baddest bald guy in town.
TheAdamEvansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
blak23

blak23 is "reptacular" (2,500+)blak23 is "reptacular" (2,500+)blak23 is "reptacular" (2,500+)
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm talking about...

Big vs small, suppose to be David vs Goliath and yet Big Show is such an awful actor that he can't turn the crowd against him completely.

It might be due to his limitations on the MIC & IN THE RING.

But I'm tired of his PUNCHING FIST like he's the biggest baddest bald guy in town.
it has nothing to do with big show, fans have a mind of there own and don't want some asshole boxer coming into a wrestling ring and beating their guy
blak23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Jura
▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬

Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Taker said in an interview that Big Show had all the tools and talent but didn't make much use of it, certainly not enough to reach his potential.
Jura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Next Big Thing has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
I can't help but feel as if he's complacent in his position and satisfied with his spot within the company unlike Kane who's interested in putting guys over and helping get them established.
Next Big Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
DrCrawford

DrCrawford is "reptacular" (2,500+)DrCrawford is "reptacular" (2,500+)DrCrawford is "reptacular" (2,500+)
i preferred the giant over the big show, just for the fact that hes in such great shape in comparison
DrCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
The Pope
Pope Is Pimpin'

The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)
The Giant actually looked intimidating because he looked like a beast with the wavy hair.
The Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
BollywoodSingh

BollywoodSingh has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)BollywoodSingh has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)
Booking wise, he was much more protected in WCW than he was in WWE. Over the years, he has been made to look weak in WWE. Even when Heyman was booking and tried to make him a monster heel again, it helped his career but he was still made to look weak by Lesnar. But really that program was made more for Lesnar than it was for the Big Show.

Also, he can not move around as much as he could while he was in WCW. He was so much better shape back then and had pretty much a flat stomach which is scary to think about when you compare that to his current physical condition. I think it would be very hard for him to ever get back into his 90's body.

Still, I think he is most valuable as a monster heel. Like the thread starter said I'd have him lose a match to Cena or Orton or someone like that and then take a couple of months off. Come back and destroy a bunch of guys. Have him cut a promo saying something like him being mad about not winning the title in 8 years and now he's a new Big Show or something like that.
BollywoodSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
The Pope
Pope Is Pimpin'

The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)The Pope is a chill bro (7,500+)
Have him interfere at a big PPV main event and ruin it by chokeslamming everyone including the ref and even security. Maybe even have some cops come to the ring and put him in cuffs then have him break the cuffs and kick the cops asses.
The Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
tjmidnight420
Mr. Nice Guy

tjmidnight420 is a chill bro (7,500+)tjmidnight420 is a chill bro (7,500+)tjmidnight420 is a chill bro (7,500+)tjmidnight420 is a chill bro (7,500+)tjmidnight420 is a chill bro (7,500+)
Quote:

The Giant vs. The Giant Killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Perfect View Post
Have him interfere at a big PPV main event and ruin it by chokeslamming everyone including the ref and even security. Maybe even have some cops come to the ring and put him in cuffs then have him break the cuffs and kick the cops asses.
Pretty much done in the feud dipshit/ stukkband/ Ryan Clark mentioned above, except replace the chokeslams with jacknife powerbombs.
tjmidnight420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #21
Gerard
Tongue my Fartbox

Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)Gerard has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)
Its weird that in WCW he looked much taller and in most of his first WWE appearences. Then he piled on the weight and that has the effect of making him look somewhat shorter than he actually is. He's really just being bounced around right now heel to face over and over and over. It never really comes as a suprise when he does turn heel as the buildup to it (if any) is usually very obvious, and its been done so many times its just "meh, he turned again". The shock value of him turning died long ago.

If he could drop the weight again and bulk up in muscle somewhat then they could essentially "reboot" him.

Benoit almost gets sent into orbit with that chokeslam.^

Last edited by Gerard; 05-30-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #22
dablackguy
Tacos!

dablackguy has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)dablackguy has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)
Disagree on booking as the major factor

The booking was only one element. The fact that he was in significantly better shape is the main issue imo. You had this physical freak who could do dropkicks and the like. Consider when Taker broke into WWE how he was this massive guy who could do extremely athletic moves, he was ahead of his time

Same could have been for Giant, except the gimmick wasn't nearly as good. Hence why I think the booking was only a minor, small component

Currently, I agree in that its the same David vs Goliath angle. However, if they gave him a mean streak and just had him tear through the roster knocking people out, the situation might be helped
dablackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #23
MoFo
Narc stole my star

MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)MoFo has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)
The Giant was Big Show without the vast amounts of money, the guaranteed push and had an uncertain future in WCW. In other words he had motivation, whereas Show has nothing to prove now.
MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #24
Aguakate

Aguakate is good (20,000+)Aguakate is good (20,000+)Aguakate is good (20,000+)Aguakate is good (20,000+)Aguakate is good (20,000+)Aguakate is good (20,000+)Aguakate is good (20,000+)Aguakate is good (20,000+)
The Giant was better than Big Show because he was in better shape, number one, and WCW decided to book him as a monster...

...unlike the WWE, where he has danced dressed as Rikishi, he has been punched by Floyd Mayweather...etc.
Aguakate is offline   Reply With Quote