TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #1
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Your fondest Survivor Series memory (2000-2014)?

For this week's podcast, we're doing the second part of our look at the history of the Survivor Series PPV, analysing its struggle for identity and relevance, going show by show, and as always we're looking for your thoughts on the former Thanksgiving Eve Tradition.

Question - What is your favourite Survivor Series memory between 2000 and 2014?

It can be a great match, moment, promo, anything - the more detail the better. As usual, the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly, so whaddya think?

EDIT - The show discussing Survivor Series from 2000 to 2014 and your fondest memories is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean....eriesPart2.mp3

Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later
**Featuring interviews with members of the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Shane Douglas, Mark Coleman, Alex Marvez, Les Thatcher and many more close friends and colleagues**
Available on Amazon now:
http://amzn.to/2h93SxL

Last edited by hb2k; 11-08-2015 at 07:00 AM.
hb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:18 AM   #2
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
HBK winning the title in 2002. I hated that he was treated like an old guy used to put over the next generation for most of that second run. He went 8 years as the best performer in the company and should have gotten more of a legit run as a long-term champion running neck-and-neck with Cena during the time. Instead it seemed like he was booked based on his age as opposed to his ability.

It does make looking back on that one night all that much more special though.
#1-norm-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Rammsteinmad
TPWW's #3 Peep

Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The winner-take-all match from 2001. It wasn't so much a "special moment", but the match itself was just brilliant. Had high stakes, lots of great spots, twists and turns, just a really good match.

Even the fact that the Alliance was made up of three WWF guys didn't bother me, as it really was pretty much "our ten biggest stars in one match"... except Shane, who probably should have been replaced with DDP or someone, but at that point in time I can understand why Shane, and it worked well within the match.
Rammsteinmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
Rammsteinmad
TPWW's #3 Peep

Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Rammsteinmad makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The 2002 Elimination Chamber was great too, as well as the 2003 Angle vs. Lesnar match. Lesnar had that super monster team which was really cool, and Benoit making Lesnar tap really psyched me up as it "meant something" for Benoit. It was also the start of Cena really going up the card and becoming a star.
Rammsteinmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Honestly, almost the entire 2002 Survivor Series PPV. I remember really enjoying SummerSlam '02 and hearing about a lot of great stuff on SmackDown, but RAW was the drizzling shits, although the Elimination Chamber gimmick drew me in, and the show felt like a major main event.

The SmackDown title match seemed weak, but I kind of liked that in contrast to such a strong main event. It allowed the cloak-and-dagger Heyman turn, which made sense given the story they had been telling with Lesnar getting more and more confident without him, and made The Big Show a big deal for the first time since WrestleMania 2000. Well, maybe they tried to give him some shine in the 2001 Rumble too...

I know a lot of you guys aren't big fans of The Big Show -- nor am I -- but given my age, the shock of it made me take notice, and I remember watching the show with my dad and him questioning how anyone could beat The Big Show, and I just wish he could have seen Show-Gunns. Not really, of course, but just to prove a point. But then Show winning really challenged my perceptions of what this roster split era could have actually allowed. It was a surprise that a naive kid enjoyed.

I thought Rico and 3 Minute Warning were fun acts for what they were, and the Tables Elimination Match was a fun update on the idea behind the Survivor Series concept. Jeff Hardy fucked up, but not as much as at Victory Road two-thousand and furflefjerpflrf.

Not sure if I forgot the year or was just impersonating Jeff Hardy? It was both and all of the above.

D-Von reunited with Bubba, which made little sense, but was still a warmish moment.

I liked Billy Kidman vs. Jamie Noble, as Noble was such a fun act and a cruiserweight with a gimmick that stood out enough for the company to actually get behind. And if I remember, Noble won relatively clean, and I like it when newish heels get a chance to do that. Kidman also debuted Josh Mathews' favourite theme at this PPV.

There was an awesome Triple Threat Tag Team Elimination Match with Los Guerreros, Edge & Rey Mysterio and Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit that told a fantastic story -- with Angle & Benoit getting eliminated first, getting pissed off and almost competing with each other to get theirs back on the slimy heels (who were starting to get cheered) and the ultra-babyface team. Eddie & Chavo actually won the match from memory, and again, it made me sort of happy that the heels got a moment. I also enjoyed this being another take on the elimination theme of Survivor Series without running a 5 vs. 5 or 4 vs. 4 match, or putting R-Truth and Miz in the main event in order to eliminate buys.

Scott Steiner debuted at this show, and I had been fairly unprepared for what would happen. The roof blew off the place. You've touched on this segment before, but Matt Hardy Version 1.0 was an interesting story for me. In Australia, FOX8 had cancelled SmackDown temporarily, so all I could hear about was how awesome Matt Hardy was being -- seriously, there was a period of time where it felt like him and John Cena were the future of the company. All I really wanted as an Aussie fan was to be able to see Matt Hardy and the awesome SmackDown Six matches, so this PPV was a good window into seeing Hardy walking the line between charismatic enigma (sorry, Jeffrffrhfj) and dick heel. I didn't get Christopher Nowinski at the time, but I almost wish he had given up having a legitimate career in trying to better the lives of professional athletes in order to see just how good a wrestler he could have become.

Victoria and Trish Stratus had a Hardcore Match for the Women's Title, and they did a really good job. It actually felt like they were trying to give the girls some spotlight -- which is a little sad, because currently there is a Divas Revolution and it still feels like they are trying to give the girls some spotlight. Victoria was a wonderful creature, and the first female act in WWE I witnessed since Chyna -- before I got a bit smarter -- that made me think "Fuck yeah, I might give a shit about her."

I was legitimately curious to see which way they would go with the Elimination Chamber, and to be honest, given the stations Triple H had beat them into for the months previous, they all got beaten out of the pods in just about the right order.

As someone who never got to witness the pageantry of Shawn Michaels in his first WWF run, I was looking forward to Shawn Michaels in full-flight coming out at SummerSlam '02. He wore jeans instead, which made sense, but heading into Survivor Series I thought "Maybe I'll get to see Shawn Michaels in his gear to complete the illusion that he's back this time." Then he came out with that haircut and those brown fucking tights. I read online that his sister used to make them for him, and I guess she was capable of losing her smile too.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Another contribution:

Survivor Series 2006 in Philadelphia. The only reason I can remember the show being in Philly is because as Philly Brooks, better known to wrestling fans as CM Punk, or better known to Vince McMahon as AJ Lee's husband, was standing in the ring with Triple H, Shawn Michaels and The Hardys, with Triple H set to do the usual DX intro shtick -- only to be cut-off by "CM Punk" chants.

I was in full smark mode at the time. The WWE product had been considerably stale to me, with forced push of John Cena, who I honestly was annoyed by BEFORE he won the WWE Title. What, with that "Mediocre of Five Series" with Booker T, leading to him winning the US Title from himself, cutting off Carlito's push (admittedly due to injury) and making Jesus look like a joke (who knows if he actually would have been funny or not), and turning the US Title into a physical metaphor for the company's direction at the time. I wanted something minty fresh, and not minty as in The Spirit Squad's ring attire.

I hated DX. They were like the two jocks in high school who thought they were funny by default. I don't know if it was by this point they had used a cock as a metaphor for a cock. It's like Triple H heard himself getting cheered against Cena at WrestleMania 22 and thought "Hey -- there's something in this. Maybe if I re-team with my now bitter arch-enemy I can stay on top as a face for SEVEN FUCKING YEARS!" Hearing the crowd chant for CM Punk floated my sinking heart at the time. Triple H even needed to acknowledge the chants from the crowd and pass the mic to Punk.

This led to CM Punk losing his undefeated streak to Hardcore Holly (perhaps correlation and not causation), and being eliminated from the EXTREME! Elimination Chamber first, bumming out even TNA, who stood a chance to get Heyman coming out of that PPV debacle.

OK...maybe the aftermath wasn't great, but the moment and memory itself was cool, right? And CM Punk would get his revenge back all those years later in two-thousand and ele...oh shit!

P.S. I don't care if that match killed the heels. They weren't CM Punk and I was fickle.

P.P.S. Wasn't the Elimination Chamber an Eric Bischoff creation in kayfabe? Why the FUCK would Paul Heyman use it? EXTREME!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
DAMN iNATOR
Rigged from the start

DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Shawn Michaels 2002 win of the World Heavyweight Championship in the first-ever Elimination Chamber. Was an awesome match after the WWE title switch which had seen Big Show, after Paul Heyman swerved Brock Lesnar out of it (which was brilliant in and of itself, but Lesnar should've retained), take the title. I honestly remember more of Shawn's 1 month WHC run than anything from Show's second WWE title.
DAMN iNATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
KaosDarksol

KaosDarksol has a good deal of rep (10,000+)KaosDarksol has a good deal of rep (10,000+)KaosDarksol has a good deal of rep (10,000+)KaosDarksol has a good deal of rep (10,000+)KaosDarksol has a good deal of rep (10,000+)KaosDarksol has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
The 2003 Survivor series was pretty memorable to me just in general. John Cena's rap at the beginning always stuck in my mind, along with the ambulance match and the buried alive match.
KaosDarksol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean....eriesPart2.mp3

Join us as we discuss every Survivor Series from 2000 to 2014! Talking about the show's battle for relevance and identity in its later years, we also take your feedback on your fondest Survivor Series memories from this period, and go over each installment of the Thanksgiving Eve Tradition, the key matches and moments, the dynamic of the shows and much more. A really fun look at the evolution of the PPV this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later
**Featuring interviews with members of the Pillman family, Dave Meltzer, Kim Wood, Raven, Jim Cornette, Mark Madden, Shane Douglas, Mark Coleman, Alex Marvez, Les Thatcher and many more close friends and colleagues**
Available on Amazon now:
http://amzn.to/2h93SxL
hb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Theo Dious
EATER OF HOT POCKETS

Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Theo Dious got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Dude get the next thread up, I have a lot to say about the jump the shark business.

Great SS shows too.
Theo Dious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #11
SlickyTrickyDamon
Quark is Less Impressed.

SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Probably going to Survivor Series for the first time (first ever PPV) in 2008. Not a very good card at all. In fact it was pretty lousy. At least I saw Edge become WWE Champion in a surprise. Seeing Jericho's great reign as World Champion to feed to John Cena was pretty shitty. Two pretty good Traditional Survivor Series Elimination matches if I remember correctly and one not so good Divas one. At least there was three of them and the most I can remember them having in the modern era.

Calling in sick from work was pretty sweet to be able to go. Fuck them.

Shit. Too late.
SlickyTrickyDamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
Ermaximus
It's High Noon!

Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ermaximus makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Kofi pinning two former world champs in less than 10 seconds in 2009.
Ermaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
Mr. Nerfect

Another great listen.

I can honestly say that I do not remember the 2009 Survivor Series. I remember the Triple Threat Matches being announced for the WWE and World Heavyweight Titles and being annoyed they weren't elimination rules at Survivor Series, but the entire Elimination Match escapes me.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:54 AM   #14
GD

GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)GD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)

GD is offline   Reply With Quote