TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
The Condor
Re-Branded

The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)The Condor has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)
Brock Beating the Streak Was the Right Choice

For a while I believed that Brock beating the Streak was a bad idea and that a younger guy could have used the rub, but after more than a year and realizing that the WWE has bungled nearly everything for ten years, I believe it was a fantastic decision for a few reasons:

1.) The moment is etched in the collective wrestling fan psyche. The moment will never be forgotten and was an overwhelming moment.

2.) The new "World's Most Dangerous Man" should have beaten a hobbled 50 year old in real life as well as kayfabe.

3.) After sharing jobs and wins with HHH and Cena, this is the match that put Brock on the tear that most wrestling fans love and feel saves today's product. I know that I haven't been into a guy or his appearances in years as much as Brock, and beating the Streak was the catalyst for his awesome run. The guy who conquered the Streak became wrestling's biggest star and a household name, just like we always figured that person would be, which leads me to the last point.

4.) I don't think anyone else could have snapped the Streak successfully, but Brock carried weight from his first WWE run as well as his UFC stint that satisfied casual fans and should have satisfied wrestling fans who clamored for Bray Wyatt, the hot name of the month from NXT, or some other young up and comer from the Shield. Without a doubt in my mind, taking into account the WWE way of doing things, the fan expectations for a young and unseasoned talent, possible fan backlash akin to the last few Royal Rumbles, and the unpredictability of a wrestlers develooment, it was absolutely the right idea to drop the Streak to Brock. The man has the gravitas, he has the built up good will, he is a known commodity that fans wouldn't completely turn on, and with Paul Heyman he had someone who could exploit the win brilliantly as part of a larger story.

Of course, they didn't have to beat the streak, but if they were dead set on it this was undoubtedly the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droford View Post
Now I'm uber pissed cause I can't fucking find my hot wheels delorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Ferret View Post
the condor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAllenHanso View Post
Sometimes I think you are the only other person here who fucking gets it. Sports. Casual. Whatever the topic I think you are always on the same side as me. Maybe thats not a compliment, but know I always think you are right and are the on point.
The Condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Sixx
LUV CABBAGE/H8 JEWS

Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
One thing I don't get is having the Undertaker return the next yar for another Wrestlemania match. The streak was his whole deal, facing Bray Wyatt made no sense to me.
Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Volare
Da Gif/Pic Pimp

Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Volare makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I figured it would've been a passing of the torch of "supernaturalesque" beings. Hell I would've loved if somehow Taker restarted his ministry, appointed Bray as his #1, build a stable around him Ministry 2.0 style.

But that's in dream world.
Volare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
James Steele
TPWW's HHH Mark Since '04

James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixx View Post
One thing I don't get is having the Undertaker return the next yar for another Wrestlemania match. The streak was his whole deal, facing Bray Wyatt made no sense to me.
James Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Frank Drebin
Large Marge sent me

Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Frank Drebin makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
In the wrestling world, ideally, every move should be done to make the company more money. Using Brock to beat the streak accomplished that. Coupled with Brock being "part-time" his appearances are must watch TV. I know I'm jacked up when I know he's going to be fighting on a PPV, and I'm sure lots of others are too.

The Streak should have been broken so that it's "power" could be carried over on someone else and not simply dead with 'Taker's career. It might be a nice touch to have had 'Taker retire with the streak in tact, but what purpose does that serve? His legacy isn't tarnished or anything. He's still the freaking Undertaker.
Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
At first I was kinda "meh" about it simply because I wanted to see Cena vs Taker for the streak. Once Lesnar destroyed Cena and took the title though, I was all for it in hindsight. At that moment Brock became arguably the most credible champion ever and beating Taker at WrestleMania was necessary for that build that was gonna lead to a huge "toppling the beast" moment.

Then they took all that built up credibility and the "Who is possibly gonna stop this fucking monster and take the title off of him!?" hype... and let it climax in a whimper by having him lose the title via someone else getting pinned. And on that same night The Undertaker wrestled a WrestleMania match that would have had a million times more drama behind it with the streak on the line.
#1-norm-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Dukelorange
Embracing the deception..

Dukelorange is pretty cool (5,000+)Dukelorange is pretty cool (5,000+)Dukelorange is pretty cool (5,000+)Dukelorange is pretty cool (5,000+)
I think if the match was better, it would have been okay. The match ended so abruptly.
Dukelorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Ultra Mantis
Grim Fandango

Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Taker vs Bray made no sense with Taker going over, definitely did not help anyone having that match with that outcome with the streak already gone.
Ultra Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:11 AM   #9
Jazzy Foot

Jazzy Foot has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Jazzy Foot has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Jazzy Foot has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Jazzy Foot has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Jazzy Foot has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Jazzy Foot has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
Here's my view:

1) Brock Lesnar has always been a big star even in the physical sense and wouldn't have needed to end the streak to maintain that illusion of dominance. He'd continue to decimate his opponents though occasionally fall to a defeat by say Cena or Triple H or someone with just a bit more "heart" than him. Losing to the Undertaker wouldn't have done any harm whatsoever to his character or the direction they wanted to take him in. No doubt it did add to the heat but nevertheless the fans aren't that stupid they'd view his anything less than what he is/was which is a beast/brute/thug/bully.

2) If they were determined to have Undertaker lose the streak it should have been to someone on his level in terms of an icon, in terms of a face etc and for me Sting would have been the perfect candidate. However at the time of WM XXX he hadn't signed and there was perhaps the acceptance he wouldn't and so WWE went ahead with their plans. It wasn't an "unbelievable" loss at all as Lesnar practically destroyed the Undertaker but one imagines Lesnar isn't viewed on the same level as the Undertaker or Sting or HBK or even Triple H maybe just a rung below but above Batista, Sheamus, maybe Orton (maybe). Anyway my point is it should have been somebody significant and heck Cena would have been a better choice.

3) Ending the streak destroyed the aura of invincibility that the Undertaker had left. That streak not only added to his mystique and character but it put Undertaker on a pedestal that not even Rock, Austin, Hogan, HBK, Triple H, Warrior, Ric Flair, John Cena, CM Punk, Kane, Mick Foley, Macho Man etc. etc. could all claim and that was to be the only major superstar to have won every single match he had participated in at the company's flagship event. That to me is a huge honour and shows how respected and revered the character was as was Mark Callaway as a professional that the company would allow him to be the constant "winning guy" at their most important show on the calendar. When that was ended (even by his own choice), it felt that the legacy was destroyed, the Undertaker looked weak and just "normal" like everyone else. The point is the Undertaker isn't "normal" and shouldn't have been made to look like anybody else.

4) I was also annoying that in the aftermath (maybe unable to due to the concussion and after-effects) that there was no scope for the Undertaker to reflect upon and address the fans about this quite significant loss. We didn't see or hear from him again and when we did it as if nothing ever happened. I mean this was the man who was battered, bruised, smashed in last year and here he is walking out to dispose of Bray Wyatt like nothing happened? I would have preferred Wyatt to have been more mocking of the Undertaker e.g. rubbing in the defeat, making him to be a pathetic loser, rather than the cryptic, creepy messages which were nevertheless still played well. Also this loss did nothing for Wyatt who has now lost twice at WM and arguably should have won at least one (against Cena) if not a legit case for both. I hope WWE have something big planned for him otherwise I fear his character and talent will be wasted.

5) Just wanted to break up point 4. If the Undertaker was this dominating character of fear and shrouded in mystery and honour etc. he would have in line with his character sought to avenge his defeat to Lesnar at WM and could have done at WM31 had Lesnar not been in the title picture. It would have gone some way to masking over the loss from last time whilst giving the Undertaker the unique distinction of having defeated all of the opponents he ever faced at WM. Actually Goldberg holds that title too as does Floyd Mayweather. But not having Taker come out to challenge Lesnar and avenge his defeat when he wanted to re-challenge Triple H because he was unable to walk out of WM 27 on his own power, seems bizarre. A "perfect ending scenario" would have been to have Undertaker beat Brock Lesnar at WM 31 maybe for the title and then he could have announced his retirement the next night or the week after etc saying he beat all his opponents that was it for him. Sure having Taker win the title now at his age seems silly but the fans would love it and especially so to see it happen one last time......it won't but it would have been a nice way for the Undertaker to sign off and say goodbye to the fans.

Overall, the streak should not have ended and in hindsight WWE will realise the error of their ways but of course nothing can be done any more about it. I just feel that one of the greatest characters and careers of all time was marred if not truly defined and to some extent destroyed but a moment of ill-thought out planning by McMahon and Callaway.
Jazzy Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
The MAC
VG + Q&A FORUM REPRESENT

The MAC has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The MAC has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The MAC has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The MAC has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The MAC has a good deal of rep (10,000+)The MAC has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
I think WWE using Brock for ppvs and here and there while being the champions exactly the right thing to do.

It reminds me of 1994 where, here in South Africa, we only got WWF Superstars show where it was mostly a B-C card. Very rarely Bret Hart, Taker, or diesel would be featured - it was something special.

When the Monday Night Wars was in full swing both companies over-exposed their champions and draws by having them on every single week. That situation is now over, and the way they are booking brock, Rock and other part timers is good enough to keep me watching their ppvs.

I don't even watch Raw /smackdown or any of the shows but I read the forums and if the next pp. has brock on it I'll watch.
The MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #11
DAMN iNATOR
Rigged from the start

DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Actually, you know who the REAL right choice to end Undertaker's streak? NOBODY! *drops mic, leaves* [/thread]
DAMN iNATOR is offline   Reply With Quote