TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
thedarkness214

thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
WHERE’S THE HEAT?!!!

I’m cutting to the chase.

Usually, at the beginning of every one of my rantz, there’s a story about growing up, being Italian, my love of monkeys, KISS talk; something that assists me in building up to my point. But, NOT TONIGHT. Reason being–-I know what I want to say so I’m just going to say it.

THERE IS NO LONGER HEAT IN PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING.

Fire02

HEAT. REAL HEAT. The type of HEAT where you want to see somebody get killed. INTENSE HEAT. CONSISTENT HEAT. That element in laying out matches, and telling stories is GONE, and quite frankly has probably been since the days of WCW/NWO and the WWE “Attitude Era“. Now, yes, there are flashes of heat here and there, but that’s all that they are. A tease of what essentially is needed if you want to get people back in arena seats, and also in front of their plasmas watching wrestling. Without HEAT you have nothing. No, strike that, you do have something–-boring stories that are all the same and going nowhere fast.

Now, in really putting quite a bit of thought into this, in my mind there are three major reasons why the FIRE is out when it comes to building heat in professional wrestling in 2014.

1. THE INTERNET

nerdLook, I’m not going to get too deeply into this one, because it is obvious. Once the internet let the Kayfabe out of the bag in the early to mid-90′s, wrestling has never been the same. And, no matter how much you try to bring it back to its glorious roots–-you just can’t. Now, at your very fingertips, you could find out everything you ever wanted to know about the wrestlers, and the wrestling business, simply by typing in a few words. The curtain was ripped open for the entire world to see the inner workings. THAT made it difficult to sell many things–-especially the evil-no good doings of the “hated” heels. The “disbelief” that the business had worked so hard at protecting was now nothing more than a movie with actors playing parts. And, no matter what those on the inside tried to do to bring back the integrity it had once hung its boots on–-they couldn’t–not with the same consistent and convincing manner of days gone by.

So getting people to STILL BELIEVE that HARRY HEEL is “REALLY” a BAD GUY and you want to see him get castrated at all cost–-simply became a much tougher sell. Instead of REALLY getting mad at a villain–-you were now entertained by them.

2. THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD–-THE WRESTLING BOOKERS BECAME EXTINCT–-AND HOLLYWOOD WRITERS TOOK THE REIGNS.

patpThis is no doubt where I probably came in. I was given my opportunity by Vince McMahon with the background of being a “fan”, and not somebody that had been in the business for 30 years. My perspective was different, my outlook was different, my views were different. However, what many either don’t realize, or don’t want to realize is that once I found my way into the inner circle–-WHO exactly my teachers were in schooling me on the basic fundamentals of professional wrestling. Through the years–-here are just a few who had a tremendous impact on teaching me the very foundation of professional wrestling that IS never going to change–get the baby faces OVER by putting HEAT on the heels.

Jerry Jarrett
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Dusty Rhodes
Jim Ross
Bruce Prichard
Chief Jay Strongbow
Terry Taylor
Jack Lanza
Vince McMahon
Jerry Brisco
Ric Flair
Jeff Jarrett
Bill Watts
Arn Anderson
William Moody (aka Paul Bearer)
Jim Cornette
Pat Patterson
Dutch Mantell (aka Zeb Colter)
Jerry Lawler
Those are 20 teachers that I just rattled off the top of my head–-not including the legendary wrestlers that I worked with over the years–who also gave extensive input. THE OLD GUARD. The GIANTS who knew wrestling when it WAS WRESTLING. Now, even though many of those on the list above will be SHOCKED that I gave them credit, the truth is that I not only “listened to every word they said–-but I LEARNED from them–-that includes: Jerry Jarrett, Eric Bischoff, Ric Flair, and YES even James E. I had ONE long car ride with Arn Anderson–ONE–and to this day I remember EVERY, SINGLE word that came from his mouth. I used to pick up GEMS from Jerry Lawler, when I used to run into him at the TV studio, during conversations that I guarantee he wouldn’t even remember–-which I NEVER forgot!!! These ICONS crafted the business for decades, upon decades, and they knew EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about getting HEAT, even if you were afraid to ask.

Arn Anderson (2)Now, look around today. How many of those guys that I listed above are still part of the process. The answer–-FIVE; Arn Anderson-WWE Agent, Terry Taylor– WWE Developmental Center, Dutch Mantell–WWE wrestling “manager”, “The King” still a WWE commentator, and Vince McMahon himself. Hopefully, Jeff Jarrett will be back in the game shortly on a full-time basis with his new promotion–-BUT, THAT”S IT!!! I guarantee you today, that the majority of the writers involved in the process, wouldn’t even KNOW half of those names that I just spit out. WOULDN’T KNOW THEM! So look around–who’s really there to teach? Aside from your wrestling vets, you have Hunter, Michael Hayes, Heyman, the “King” who I’m sure isn’t that involved–-and WHO? Who else is around that really came from an era 20-plus years ago–WHERE HEAT RULED?!!!

Please, keep your cards and letters. I know I’m leaving out a few, and I apologize, but my point is that you have a mere fraction compared to the resources I had.

3. THE TOP HEELS BECAME THE AUTHORITY FIGURES

stephanie-mcmahon-20Bingo–-towards the mid to late 90′s, the top heels in the company were now your “authority” figures who rarely got in the ring to wrestle. This transition of course came in full force with Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon. As a heel, Easy E. is incredible–-I have always been a huge mark for his work. No one plays a pompous, arrogant, a**- hole boss better than he does. He was terrific with the NWO–terrific. Then on the other side you had the most over authority figure of all-time Vince McMahon. Now, keep in mind, Vince was over because he was indeed GREAT–-but–-his character also had 20 years of a build as a TV announcer. Luckily, as a writer, I was able to cash in on that. Over the years that would transfer over to Dixie Carter, Triple H, and Stephanie McMahon–-all three fantastic performers in my opinion, but, THEY are now the TOP heels in their respected companies, who not only never wrestle (with of course the exception of Triple H), but, the heat they generate is a “different” kind of heat. It’s a “I want to kill my boss” heat, not I want the Bad Guy to get his because he just violently attacked the Good Guy. Different–-much different.

4. * TOO MUCH DAMN TV

tvsetI’m adding a fourth category. Just too much damn wrestling on TV–-too much. How can anything mean ANYTHING when you have 62 hours of TV a week like the WWE currently has? What haven’t you seen before? How do you build heat that is meaningful? Can you?

Fortunately, the answer is a RESOUNDING yes–-go ahead–ask anyone of my teachers. However–in order to generate HEAT today, you have to be very meticulous, and thorough and most importantly consistent week–after week. Man, the NWO built heat for MONTHS and MONTHS and MONTHS–-and that was a credit to all the guys who were involved in the creative. What do you think made Diamond Dallas Page a household name back then? THE HEAT THAT THE HEELS BUILT FOR HIM!!! Today, with all the hours of TV, the detail is lost, thus the fire is a sputtering match.

Wrestling today needs to BRING BACK THE HEAT. And, I’m not just talking about the WWE, or TNA, I’m talking about anybody putting on a show. HEAT sells. HEAT brings the people in, HEAT draws money.

JimCornette_bio

HOLY CRAP–-I’VE BECOME JIM CORNETTE!!! Truth? HEAT is still the very foundation of what wrestling was, is, and always will be built on!

http://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

TNARICK™ "The Legend" & R.I.C.K. Entertainment Provide you with the best forum signatures, topics, and polls available on the net.

Reality Is Controlled Knowledge

RUSSO 4 LIFE
thedarkness214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Bad News Gertner
Best Poster

Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Vincr Russo killed heels getting heat
Bad News Gertner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Shisen Kopf
Fire up Chips!

Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Wish David Arquette was champion
Shisen Kopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
thedarkness214

thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)thedarkness214 puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
ch@mp10n 0f y0ur m0m f@gg1t,,,,,
Old 07-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
SlickyTrickyDamon
Quark is Less Impressed.

SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)

This is the main reason why "heat" is gone. Arenas back in the olden times were hot as balls without any air conditioning. It's really easy to take advantage of a crowd when they are overheated.
SlickyTrickyDamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
thedarkness214

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon View Post

This is the main reason why "heat" is gone. Arenas back in the olden times were hot as balls without any air conditioning. It's really easy to take advantage of a crowd when they are overheated.
y0ur g@y,,,,,
Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
thedarkness214

@nd ur m0mz g@y,,,,,,,