TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > mma forum

Old 05-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Vastardikai
Taller than Adam Cole

Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Vastardikai makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
History of MMA

I wanted to start a thread so we could talk about some of the history of MMA, as I did in a thread a while ago about Catch Wrestling. Pretty much, I wanted to mention 2 Judokas in particular: Mitsuyo Maeda and Gene LeBell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuyo_Maeda

Maeda was a turn of the century Judoka who traveled the world, did some time as a Catch Wrestler under the name Conde Koma. He defeated several people of various disciplines all over the world. In 1917, a 14-year old Carlos Gracie would study under Maeda. The result would ultimately be Brazilian JiuJitsu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_LeBell

"Judo" Gene LeBell is best known for his Pink Gi, and was a pro-wrestler, an actor, a stuntman, and of course a judoka. He won the AAU National Judo Championships in 1954 and 1955. He was in the Heavyweight Division, despite weighing in at 165 lbs. He used standing throws in all but 1 of the contests in 1955. He also defeated Middleweight Boxer Milo Savage by submission (Rear Naked Choke). He trained quite a few notable fighters and martial artists in grappling arts, including, but not limited to Karo "The Heat" Parisian, Bruce Lee, and Chuck Norris. He was also the ref for the infamous Ali-Inoki fight (and many felt he could have beaten both of them.)

In essence, discuss some of what I brought up here. or history of some of the martial arts that make up MMA (Muay Thai is really interesting). or even some heroes from the early UFCs or Pancrases.

=

"KARA-TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!" Question Mark.