TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > mma forum

Old 11-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #41
Reavant
Donkey Punch Elite

Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous Dale Newstead View Post
At the end of the day though GSP is a freak athlete. Give him a year straight just to train wrestling and see what happens... just sayin?

I mean think about it, BJ Penn won the bjj championship or whatever after just three years of training and his work ethic is well documented. Mind you wrestling and bjj are 2 different beasts, but he was still beating guys who'd done it much longer and more dedicated.
Well look at it this way... In BJJ, there are literally countless ways to end a match. One simple mistake, and you could get caught in one of millions of submissions out there. On top of just scorring points from positions and takedowns and all that.

In wrestling, there is only two ways to end a match early. One is to pin the shoulders of your opponent to the mat for justa split second. Now by the time your tryingto get into the olympics, youve trained your entire life to not expose your back to the mat, so it is real hard to do. The other way is to score so many more points on your opponent (6)that the ref calls a technical fall and stops just the round, which is again hard to do because when top competition meet eachother its hard to score one point on them, let alone 6 without them scoring on you.

Now lets look at BJ Penn in terms of jujitsu. He has flexability that makes him a one in a million competitor in BJJ because he can get into positions that no other BJJ practitioner would be able to get into, thus giving him a dramatic advantage. Especially because he can end fights when he gets into those positions.

Also the structure for competition is different for BJJ and wrestling. There is no belt class in wrestling, you are clessed by achievement. In BJJ you could beat black belt after black belt all while being a brown belt and if your instructor doesnt see you fit as a blackbelt then you stay brown belt, while again the reverse is also possible.

Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying wrestling is harder than BJJ because it is not any harder or easier, but it is dramatically different given the rules of competition and the way you ascend in class.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #42
Reavant
Donkey Punch Elite

Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Reavant has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien Barthez View Post
it is deffinately the former, but not the latter.

If this was sprinting, or any other sport where he is against the clock, or the unconflicting result of his opposition, then this would be hard to argue. But wrestling involves reacting to the unpredictable reactions of your opponent in a physical confrontation. Take Saitiev for instance in Sydney... He lost to someone who was lucky to make the US team in the first place. It was one of his only major events, the only one he ever took a medal in, and he was barely seen again. I know this guy won gold due to the drugs test, but his result at the olympics, the pinnacle of the sport, was impossible to predict and massively unlikely.

Saitiev was DEFFINATELY going to win in Sydney, and he came 8th or 9th or something. He was put on his back by a nobody.

So fuck your certainties.
Completely different. You cant compair the off performance of one competitor to prove a point about a guy who only trains in wrestling to improve his MMA trying to make the olympics. Not to mention the fact that you are trying to use that to give GSP a chance would mean that nearly every guy he faced would have to have a MASSIVE poor performance.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #43
Reavant
Donkey Punch Elite

Quote:
I saw an interview with GSP after he trained with the can nats last time, on thefightnetwork when it was still on over here. He said he learned alot in a short space of time, and went from consistantly losing when he arrived, to as competative as those in his weight class. He said the coaches invited him to return, and he is a different fighter as a result.
DUH! He went there with little to no wrestling experience and he was now holding his own. Thats part of the learning curve of any sport. And of course it changed his fighting... He went there to do that.
Quote:
Couture put over his wrestling as 'truely olympic class' on a PPV once, but unfortunately for me, none of this stuff has been printed in the last 7 days, so my evidence is a bit hard to locate.
Are you serious right now... He was doing a commentary on a ppv. He was putting GSP over the same way that Rogan does with any fighter he likes. And dont try saying thats untrue because hes RANDY... hes like any other guy and was doing what was right at the time.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #44
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
To go off on a tangent for a second, I was very disappointed by the lack of wrestling shown on tv during the last Olympics. I understand they only show what they think people will watch, but they could of shown more than the final round of each weight class in my opinion especially with like 15-20 channels doing coverage.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #45
Reavant
Donkey Punch Elite

Yea it kind of sucks. You would think they would want to show the earlier rounds of competiton because thats where the most action is usually seen. You get to see the best guys dismantle the lesser competition and usually see cool moves and all that. In the finals you barely see anything outside of the closing minutes and seconds.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #46
Fabien Barthez
Spliff & A Brew

Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)
Im reffering to the freakishly amazing performance that he went through, from winning the nationals unexpectidly onward to making the olympic final. That's alot of world class guys haveing alot of off days...

And I am only using this example to explain that to state a certainty while speculating results of a combat sport is just as retarded as a person can be.

I mean, look at how many MMA upsets there have been in the last 2-3 years. Guys who were written off due to inexperience, or not even being in the same league as their opponents..... Sometimes they pull it off.

Why are you defending the notion of certanties in speculation? I am certain you are stupid, but that is based on what is in front of me, not how I gauge your intelligence in 2 years time.

FFS!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #47
Fabien Barthez
Spliff & A Brew

Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)Fabien Barthez is good (20,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reavant View Post
He was doing a commentary on a ppv. He was putting GSP over the same way that Rogan does with any fighter he likes. And dont try saying thats untrue because hes RANDY... hes like any other guy and was doing what was right at the time.
And the guy who you were talking about was defending his sport as elite and not something that can be done as whimsically as GSP is presenting it. He was doing what was right at the time.

Stop defending the specifics.... It wasn't and still remains, not the point.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #48
Reavant
Donkey Punch Elite

Quote:
Im reffering to the freakishly amazing performance that he went through, from winning the nationals unexpectidly onward to making the olympic final. That's alot of world class guys haveing alot of off days...

And I am only using this example to explain that to state a certainty while speculating results of a combat sport is just as retarded as a person can be.

I mean, look at how many MMA upsets there have been in the last 2-3 years. Guys who were written off due to inexperience, or not even being in the same league as their opponents..... Sometimes they pull it off.
So your compairing a guy who only trains in wrestling pulling upsets compaired to an MMA fighter who wants to give wrestling a try... your right Im the stupid one here.

Go back to my post about wrestling vs BJJ.... in MMA theres that many more ways to end a fight. How many of those upsets have come from KOs or caught in submission. Theres a difference between beating a guy in a time period vs catching them in a fight ending move. Now you might say "what about decision upsets"... well theres the question on whether the judges know what theyre doing, but also if someone gets dominated for 15-25 minutes, is that an upset?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #49
Fabien Barthez
Spliff & A Brew

Quote:

Stop defending the specifics.... It wasn't and still remains, not the point.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #50
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)DaveBrawl got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reavant View Post
Yea it kind of sucks. You would think they would want to show the earlier rounds of competiton because thats where the most action is usually seen. You get to see the best guys dismantle the lesser competition and usually see cool moves and all that. In the finals you barely see anything outside of the closing minutes and seconds.
If I remember correctly even the finals were in the middle of the day in the middle of the week on like MSNBC. They are one of the few events I care about in the whole Olympic spectacle and I saw like 1 match in the whole 2 weeks.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #51
Dave Youell
1/2 Optimist 1/2 Amazing

Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mask View Post
tbf kimbo looks pretty lean already and you, er...

:foc:

I'm the same as Kimbo in every way

Except for the hair
And beard
And the gold teeth
Wait, I'm undefeated in MMA, currently at 0-0
Oh, also, I'm white.

Apart from that, you clearly don't know what you're talking about :foc:

Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #52
DaveBrawl
Inconceivable

Dave Youell is a killing machine, you don't mess with him.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #53
Dave Youell
1/2 Optimist 1/2 Amazing

Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBrawl83 View Post
Dave Youell is a killing machine, you don't mess with him.
Fuck yeah!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #54
The Ravishing One
Hello

The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)The Ravishing One puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
I say you make a push for wrestling forum mod in 2010.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #55
Dave Youell
1/2 Optimist 1/2 Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ravishing One View Post
I say you make a push for wrestling forum mod in 2010.
I say that every year, does anyone listen? Do they fuck
Old 11-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #56
Super V

Super V has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)Super V has more than 1,000 rep points (1,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Youell View Post
I say that every year, does anyone listen? Do they fuck
I'd take a guess they do neither.