TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #81
captaincharismark
reeking of awesomeness

captaincharismark does not have that much rep yet (10+)
I personally think it's well acted, written and produced. The writing of a show ultimately depends on how well the actors deliver the lines. Jeffrey Donovan, Bruce Campbell and Gabrielle Anwar do as well as any show on TV I've seen. They perfect convey whatever emotion the situation calls for. Thus the main reason I think Burn Notice is the second best show on TV now, following Breaking Bad.
captaincharismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #82
Requiem

Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
^That. And no, the success of a show does not mean millions agree that the show is incredibly acted. Neither does keeping you interested. I find a lot of shows 'interesting', and some of them have good stories. Those reasons do not make a show well acted. Good acting makes a show well acted. The cheese factor of Burn Notice takes a bit of their acting cred away, IMO. Just can't be compared to the likes of Breaking Bad. Again, it pales in comparison and there's just no way you can deny that. Breaking Bad's acting is of such a higher class than Burn Notice that I don't know how anyone in their right mind could say that they're on par.

It has a high production value for a show on USA, and has decent acting. The story is pretty good, but not the best. For the type of show it is, I'd say it's one of the better ones on TV right now.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #83
Requiem

Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Some of their lines are just 'lol' cheesy. Can't take Burn Notice seriously half the time.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #84
Requiem

Would also put a lot of shows above Burn Notice. It probably wouldn't even break my top 5 of shows still currently airing.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #85
Requiem

Can't tell you how many Sam Axe lines are just completely ridiculous and 'fake'. Bruce Campbell is the man, don't get me wrong.. but lol come on. Can't believe this is even a real discussion.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #86
captaincharismark
reeking of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Would also put a lot of shows above Burn Notice. It probably wouldn't even break my top 5 of shows still currently airing.
I'd have to ask what your top 5 shows are then. While Burn Notice may not be as great as Breaking Bad, it is a great show. The story is used in a compelling way with the client of the week and burn notice dynamics. Unlike alot of shows on TV, the quality for Burn Notice remains consistent. I personally find the humor in the show to be a redeeming aspect. Definately don't think the lines are cheesy, as they make some of the not so interesting spy stuff more tolerable...
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #87
CSL
Over Like Rover

CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Breaking Bad
Boardwalk Empire
Californication
Bored to Death
The Walking Dead
Mad Men
Entourage
Game of Thrones
Eastbound & Down
Psych
Weeds
Dexter

HBO/Showtime/AMC + Psych basically. All currently running, all comfortably "better" than Burn Notice. There's nothing wrong with it really, it's harmless, like "popcorn TV" but it's far from the best written/acted show around.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #88
captaincharismark
reeking of awesomeness

Again it all comes down to personal preference. IMO Burn Notice is the best show on TV other than Breaking Bad. Scrutinizing every small detail and not enjoying the show for what it is defeats the purpose of it. When you say a certain show is "the best", it ultimately means it's your view on what you perceive as the best. It's all subjective to each person, so what I think is the best doesn't mean it literally is.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #89
Requiem

So it's your favorite, not the best. Got it. And it's not really nitpicking.. it's just observing the facts of the show. The acting quality is simply not there. The actors are good, but as I said.. there is a level of cheese to it that, while it does not detract from the SHOW, it detracts from the quality of acting. Already said it is a good show for what it is. But it is just not 'high class' enough to compete with certain other shows.

My top 5? Of shows that are still airing (otherwise there would be a couple other shows at the top of this list) -

Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Modern Family
Fringe (and yes, this is a 'favorite'. It's probably not going to win an Emmy any time soon, and I realize that)

Boardwalk Empire just narrowly missed my top 5, but that's not a bad thing. The other shows on that list are extremely high quality.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #90
Requiem

It's also terribly repetitive compared to shows that are more straight forward story telling. The episode-to-episode stories are typically the same formula over and over again while advancing the overlying story every couple episodes. The top few shows on my list are constantly changing, constantly evolving. Each episode -is- the story.

But I get that. That's why I said it's great 'for the type of show it is'.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #91
captaincharismark
reeking of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
So it's your favorite, not the best. Got it. And it's not really nitpicking.. it's just observing the facts of the show. The acting quality is simply not there. The actors are good, but as I said.. there is a level of cheese to it that, while it does not detract from the SHOW, it detracts from the quality of acting. Already said it is a good show for what it is. But it is just not 'high class' enough to compete with certain other shows.

My top 5? Of shows that are still airing (otherwise there would be a couple other shows at the top of this list) -

Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Dexter
Modern Family
Fringe (and yes, this is a 'favorite'. It's probably not going to win an Emmy any time soon, and I realize that)

Boardwalk Empire just narrowly missed my top 5, but that's not a bad thing. The other shows on that list are extremely high quality.
I wish I could properly discuss this more comparitively with you, but I haven't see any of those shows except BB. So, I can't really comment in any informative way. Burn Notice does have a cheesy type quality with the jokes and so forth, but that's what makes it work for me. Having all that dull and boring spy expertise needs a balance. The problem then becomes not overusing the humor vs. the more dramatic scenes. That's one problem I have with Burn Notice. It probably could be taken more seriously if the dramatic acting was a more frequent occurance...
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #92
Requiem

See, and there is the problem. You haven't seen enough TV to be able to adequately judge. I think if you saw a lot of quality TV you would have a whole new outlook on what TV shows can be. I think you would actually see it differently and while it wouldn't make you dislike Burn Notice (that's not the goal of this), it would give you a whole new repertoire of 'top shows' to enjoy.

You should download those shows, starting with Dexter. Also, those are only shows that are still airing. I feel LOST and Rome (HBO series) easily top my list.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #93
captaincharismark
reeking of awesomeness

Yeah, being able to see all the currently produced shows would give me more of a balanced look at quality. Kinda hard to properly compare the acting depth on TV if your viewing is limited to basic TV channels. It may not be the best show on TV, but definately on USA(Psych is pretty close though).
Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #94
parkmania
#BUCTOBER

parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Back on topic:

Based on the increased mentions during this season, does anyone think that

SPOILER: show
Mike's dad is actually alive, and more importantly, quite possibly the guy who burned Mike to begin with?

Or is that too much of a red herring?
parkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #95
mhirn3
The People's Poster

mhirn3 is pretty cool (5,000+)mhirn3 is pretty cool (5,000+)mhirn3 is pretty cool (5,000+)mhirn3 is pretty cool (5,000+)
I don't think it's that much far fetched to be honest, but what do you do once you arrive at that point park?
mhirn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #96
Jura
▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬

Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
After 4 seasons the whole essence of the show hasn't really changed. They're still doing the good deeds while Michael is on a mission to find out who burned him/go after who burned him/go after who killed the people who burned him.
Jura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #97
parkmania
#BUCTOBER

parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)parkmania puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhirn3 View Post
I don't think it's that much far fetched to be honest, but what do you do once you arrive at that point park?
I honestly don't know, but with the reports that the show will run for this and one more season and then be done, I can see that being the big payoff in the end.

Also, does anyone else think that they're trying to force a love triangle with Mike's new handler?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #98
Jura
▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬

Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jura makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I don't think they are going to "force" anything but the look that Fiona had at the end of the last episode makes me think something is going on with her and maybe she's gonna step away from Mike and the more Pierce and Mike work together they might get closer.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #99
Jura
▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬

My mistake was trusting you.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #100
Vietnamese Crippler
Unnecessarily awesome

Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Good cliffhanger.
Vietnamese Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #101
parkmania
#BUCTOBER

Why isn't it Thursday already so I can see the next episode?!?!?!?!?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #102
Vietnamese Crippler
Unnecessarily awesome

Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Vietnamese Crippler puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Good ending for the summer finale. I guess the latter half of the season is definitely the finale of the show considering

SPOILER: show
Mike has found the final member of Management

Can't wait for November.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #103
parkmania
#BUCTOBER

We're only halfway through season 5, and according to http://www.aoltv.com/2010/04/16/burn...asons-5-and-6/ we're owed another full season, so it'll be interesting to see how long the process of winning "the final battle" goes.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #104
Vietnamese Crippler
Unnecessarily awesome

I thought this was the middle of season 6
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #105
parkmania
#BUCTOBER

This is back on tomorrow night! So stoked!