TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #121
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner View Post
You'd have to get the belt off Orton beforehand. Bryan going in as champ wouldn't be as big of a moment as Bryan winning the belt, even more so if he defeated two of HHH former Evolution members at the same time. It'd make sense storyline-wise as well.
That's an excellent point. After thinking about this, I would also agree with you that there would be a bigger payoff in Bryan winning the title at Mania'.

p.s.________________I just got word of the CM Punk situation. WWE better not f*** that up.
Heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #122
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
but he hasn't been in shitty, meaningless mid card feuds. He went from Cena to Orton (w/ Triple H) to Wyatt, the first two of which were top of the card programs with top of the card/company guys and the latter with maybe the best booked/most interesting/one of the most over acts in the territory. Since beating John Cena clean as a whistle (something not even Punk did during his "rise", something I remember Triple H, HBK and maybe Batista doing over the last like 10 years) he's basically been story line fucked over or outnumbered and all it's done is serve to make him more popular, to the point where people are now frothing at the mouth to see him "get his due". He couldn't possibly be in a better position. And all people are bothered about is complaining about the way he got there.
Once again, in all fairness.... the reason his programs have been white hot is because he's put himself in those positions. He is the exception, not the rule. Legitimately, every time they try to bury him, he just keeps going out there and being amazing and giving them NO CHOICE. They keep trying to make him go away and disappear, and the crowd hijacks segments chanting his name. They jobbed him in 17 seconds to Sheamus, and the crowd revolted. I mean come on. You can argue and give every excuse in the book. They DO NOT want Daniel Bryan as the company guy, no matter what anyone tries to say. They like him, they respect him but he doesn't fit their mold, work and shoot. They'll put him in decent programs, they'll give him title reigns, but it'll be the foot half in, half out.... no boosters attached.

The point is, he's not being groomed. For christ's sake, they had him pencilled into face Sheamus at wrestlemania. No disrespect to our ginger friend, but come on, that's a cop out. They want him there, to be a team player, to be a gritty blocker on the o line who protects the qb and the rb. But they don't want to give him the ball. The key is to give him the ball, but not make him into the same vanilla bullshit they always turn guys into. They've only done it successfully with Austin and Rock, let's see if they can do it with him.
Ol Dirty Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #123
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
And the program with the Wyatt's was also a cop out. They OBVIOUSLY wanted to use him to put Bray over. They don't protect Bryan at all. Yeah he beat Cena clean, but do they talk about that EVER? The only guy who ever did was Cena, ONCE. A couple weeks later he's getting knocked out by big show. He got jobbed to Bray in the curtain jerker at the rumble. During any guys run to the top, they don't job so freely.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #124
CSL
Over Like Rover

CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
well the last part/the plans for this year's Mania/Sheamus etc is still nothing but speculation. The first part, trying to bury him? Trying to make him go away? That is completely absurd. Not gonna comment on the previous Bryan/Sheamus Mania match because the reaction to that was ridiculous as well but the fact you finished that paragraph with they like him, respect him, put him in decent programs, title reigns etc completely contradicts your initial sentences. It's almost like people won't be happy until he is given the Hogan/Austin/Cena treatment and is unquestionably presented as the undisputed #1 guy and that "decent programs and title reigns" is somehow a negative thing. It's just completely unrealistic (a fact that I'm pretty sure he'd happily tell you himself)
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #125
CSL
Over Like Rover

CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous Dale Newstead View Post
And the program with the Wyatt's was also a cop out. They OBVIOUSLY wanted to use him to put Bray over. They don't protect Bryan at all. Yeah he beat Cena clean, but do they talk about that EVER? The only guy who ever did was Cena, ONCE. A couple weeks later he's getting knocked out by big show. He got jobbed to Bray in the curtain jerker at the rumble. During any guys run to the top, they don't job so freely.
and he was completely protected whilst jobbing to Wyatt, was hardly "freely". Not seeing the problem there.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #126
CSL
Over Like Rover

and for the record given the title of the thread, I'm not saying he's been booked perfectly. But as poorly as a bunch of people online would have you think? Nah.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #127
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

It doesn't contradict what I'm saying. Keep in mind CSL I'm not your classic smark, I DO see both sides.

How was the fans reaction ridiculous when he jobbed to Sheamus? I don't understand. You're being a classic jock hard on. (I'm only getting personal because I love you, you fucking prick). You're disregarding everything I'm trying to say. They reacted that way because they like Daniel Bryan and fans are beginning to read through the bullshit.

Given some of the guys they've given a run, a dude with the connection with a connection to the audience like Daniel Bryan wouldn't be the worst choice to give a proper chance at the top. The only thing stopping them, is the fact that they don't want to. I'm not saying he's the solution to all the problems, but it's not like it'd be a bad choice.

And you know what? It isn't good enough to be labelled a b plus player when the audience views you as an A plus player. It's like they're saying "Okay you're only allowed to get THIS big, then we'll de rail you so you only stay THIS big because we don't want you to be that big". Nobody in the company at this point has that connection with the crowd.

I'm seeing it more and more like Narc. You can give me every retarded convoluted explanation in the book like you some how are on the "in" and you see the big picture, but at the end of the day, what would they have to lose by giving him the ball to run with? It's bullshit. Give a guy momentum, let him run with it, and don't de rail it, and give him good material to work with so you're not killing his character. Do what made it work.

It's hard to articulate everything I'm trying to say. But at the end of the day, he's super over, the crowd wants him on top, so put the wheels in motion to put him on top. It really is not that hard. Don't go half in, like they fucking do with so many guys, go full in. See where it goes. Does that mean he goes in there and squashes Brock Lesnar? HELL NO. Does it mean keep giving him momentum to work with and not have HHH come on t.v. and call him a b plus player and then just ignore him, and maybe only wrestle him now because CM Punk walked out? Definitely not.

Does it mean put some proper effort into making him a strong credible force, without freely jobbing him to put OTHER GUYS over before he's reached the heights he could reach? YES.

I'm sure there's some ridiculous shit I put in there, but I'm not proof reading. DEAL WITH IT CSL YOU MOTHER FUCKER, gonna powerclean and jerk your ass to the ground.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #128
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
and for the record given the title of the thread, I'm not saying he's been booked perfectly. But as poorly as a bunch of people online would have you think? Nah.
Oh I'll agree with you there. He hasn't been pissed on and buried like Dolph or someone like that. But he's been mishandled, and effected by incompetent booking. If the booking team was actually decent, and they had any sense or were in touch with their viewership, he'd be in a much better position.

I'm not UP IN ARMS or anything, but let's call a spade a spade... the WWE has the tendency of being fucking stupid and not capitalizing when it's right in front of them.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #129
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Heyman makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
I'll comment on a couple things:

1) It is not uncommon for the WWE to have someone job cleanly to 'x' wrestler before having 'said someone' win the World Title. That way - it gives the rub to two wrestlers, while also increasing parity within the company. Case in point - Bret jobbing to cleanly to Owen before defeating Yokozuna for the title later on that night.

2) The WWE wouldn't let any ordinary wrestler defeat John Cena CLEAN. Even with guys like CM Punk and RVD in yester-year, the victories were never 100% clean. In Bryan's case however, this was not the case. The win was pretty much 100% clean.

Like I said - I'll take back everything I said if Bryan doesn't get the title victory at Mania..........but for now, I think guys like you and Narcissus are overreacting a little too much. The whole 'Authority vs. Bryan' storyline since Summerslam has helped Bryan more than it has hurt him.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #130
Nark Order
Soundly Defeated Wadding

Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Heyman. You are partially correct. But it is a little infuriating when people act like this was all planned. It wasn't. It just wasn't. They are doing damage control, they aren't following a plan.
Nark Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #131
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Quote:
Oh I'll agree with you there. He hasn't been pissed on and buried like Dolph or someone like that.
True, but given the way Ziggler conducted himself in interviews after Wrestlemania last year (i.e. essentially trashing both HHH and Orton), can you really blame the WWE for punishing him?

Same thing with Ryback. If you conduct yourself like a fool backstage and in the media, why should the WWE push you?

Zack Ryder and Santino Marella - same thing. If you openly complain and act like a bitch, you'll get buried. Popularity or not. Hurricane Helms was met with the same fate a number of years ago.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #132
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
I'll comment on a couple things:

1) It is not uncommon for the WWE to have someone job cleanly to 'x' wrestler before having 'said someone' win the World Title. That way - it gives the rub to two wrestlers, while also increasing parity within the company. Case in point - Bret jobbing to cleanly to Owen before defeating Yokozuna for the title later on that night.

2) The WWE wouldn't let any ordinary wrestler defeat John Cena CLEAN. Even with guys like CM Punk and RVD in yester-year, the victories were never 100% clean. In Bryan's case however, this was not the case. The win was pretty much 100% clean.

Like I said - I'll take back everything I said if Bryan doesn't get the title victory at Mania..........but for now, I think guys like you and Narcissus are overreacting a little too much. The whole 'Authority vs. Bryan' storyline since Summerslam has helped Bryan more than it has hurt him.
lol I'm not over reacting. But let's not give the booking team credit. The booking team's intention was NOT to have Bryan where he is. The fans hijacking segments has made them call an audible.

Also for your first example, the hitman had already had a lengthy world title reign to his name.... he had already been to the top, he wasn't in the midst of his first BIG TIME run.

Austin also jobbed to HHH before WM 17, but again, he had already had his massive run.

In both cases, neither Bret nor Austin were jobbed in the curtain jerker of the Royal Rumble before any time they won the world championship at wrestlemania.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #133
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus View Post
Heyman. You are partially correct. But it is a little infuriating when people act like this was all planned. It wasn't. It just wasn't. They are doing damage control, they aren't following a plan.
Yeah this is the point I'm trying to make. Just more verbose and ranty and less concise FUCK ALL OF YOU
Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #134
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Quote:
You might be right, but I just have a difficult time believing that the WWE would let a guy like Daniel Bryan go CLEANLY over John Cena at Summerslam if there wasn't some kind of plan involved.

Again - I might be giving the WWE too much credit (and I'll recant everything I've said if Bryan isn't champ at Mania), but for right now, I think there is an actual plan in place. It's just not as "formulaic" is it was back in the day with guys like Hogan, Bret, Austin, Rock, and Cena. Fans are MUCH smarter these days, and I think the WWE are trying to cater to that so that their plan doesn't come across as overly predictable.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #135
Nark Order
Soundly Defeated Wadding

Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Nark Order makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
There WAS a plan and they abandoned it apparebtly because of Summerslam buyrates. The fans are the only reason he hasn't been "x'd" out of high profile main event plans.
Nark Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #136
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
True, but given the way Ziggler conducted himself in interviews after Wrestlemania last year (i.e. essentially trashing both HHH and Orton), can you really blame the WWE for punishing him?

Same thing with Ryback. If you conduct yourself like a fool backstage and in the media, why should the WWE push you?

Zack Ryder and Santino Marella - same thing. If you openly complain and act like a bitch, you'll get buried. Popularity or not. Hurricane Helms was met with the same fate a number of years ago.
Nah I agree with you there. You can't publicly trash your boss and colleague, it is just unprofessional, it's a damned shame but he has himself to blame there. (Dolph that is).
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #137
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Quote:
Austin also jobbed to HHH before WM 17, but again, he had already had his massive run.

In both cases, neither Bret nor Austin were jobbed in the curtain jerker of the Royal Rumble before any time they won the world championship at wrestlemania.
All good points, but Bryan technically has been a World champion already (even if it was for less than a minute).

As Austin and Bret were during those respective era's, Bryan is the most popular star in the company right now.

It's hard to explain, and perhaps I'm wrong, but I do think there is a concrete plan here for Daniel Bryan. Triple H and Stephanie have sharp wrestling minds. I don't see them causing such a colossal fuck up. I just don't.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #138
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
There WAS a plan and they abandoned it apparebtly because of Summerslam buyrates. The fans are the only reason he hasn't been "x'd" out of high profile main event plans.
This, it is so obvious. They keep trying to sweep him under the rug. But the fans are like "WTF STOP THAT".
Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #139
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
All good points, but Bryan technically has been a World champion already (even if it was for less than a minute).

As Austin and Bret were during those respective era's, Bryan is the most popular star in the company right now.

It's hard to explain, and perhaps I'm wrong, but I do think there is a concrete plan here for Daniel Bryan. Triple H and Stephanie have sharp wrestling minds. I don't see them causing such a colossal fuck up. I just don't.
Given that since the invasion both of them have had the book along with Vince, and there has been constant colossal fuckups and bad booking, I don't see how this is out of the realm of possibility to you.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #140
The Rogerer

The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
There's also a concrete plan for He-man not dying alone. Let's wait and see!
The Rogerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #141
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Quote:
Oh I see.

I wasn't aware of the Summerslam buyrates. How were they? (i.e. was it on par with previous Summerslams? Below? etc.).

It seems a bit odd that buyrates for Summerslam would be LOWER due to Bryan's presence in the main-event, given how much the fans love Bryan in the arena's.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #142
CSL
Over Like Rover

Quote:
It doesn't contradict what I'm saying. Keep in mind CSL I'm not your classic smark, I DO see both sides.

How was the fans reaction ridiculous when he jobbed to Sheamus? I don't understand. You're being a classic jock hard on. (I'm only getting personal because I love you, you fucking prick). You're disregarding everything I'm trying to say. They reacted that way because they like Daniel Bryan and fans are beginning to read through the bullshit.

Given some of the guys they've given a run, a dude with the connection with a connection to the audience like Daniel Bryan wouldn't be the worst choice to give a proper chance at the top. The only thing stopping them, is the fact that they don't want to. I'm not saying he's the solution to all the problems, but it's not like it'd be a bad choice.

And you know what? It isn't good enough to be labelled a b plus player when the audience views you as an A plus player. It's like they're saying "Okay you're only allowed to get THIS big, then we'll de rail you so you only stay THIS big because we don't want you to be that big". Nobody in the company at this point has that connection with the crowd.

I'm seeing it more and more like Narc. You can give me every retarded convoluted explanation in the book like you some how are on the "in" and you see the big picture, but at the end of the day, what would they have to lose by giving him the ball to run with? It's bullshit. Give a guy momentum, let him run with it, and don't de rail it, and give him good material to work with so you're not killing his character. Do what made it work.

It's hard to articulate everything I'm trying to say. But at the end of the day, he's super over, the crowd wants him on top, so put the wheels in motion to put him on top. It really is not that hard. Don't go half in, like they fucking do with so many guys, go full in. See where it goes. Does that mean he goes in there and squashes Brock Lesnar? HELL NO. Does it mean keep giving him momentum to work with and not have HHH come on t.v. and call him a b plus player and then just ignore him, and maybe only wrestle him now because CM Punk walked out? Definitely not.

Does it mean put some proper effort into making him a strong credible force, without freely jobbing him to put OTHER GUYS over before he's reached the heights he could reach? YES.

I'm sure there's some ridiculous shit I put in there, but I'm not proof reading. DEAL WITH IT CSL YOU MOTHER FUCKER, gonna powerclean and jerk your ass to the ground.
the fan reaction to the Sheamus/Mania WHC match was ridiculous because of the intensity. Yes, I completely understand going to Mania or watching Mania and hoping to see a great match between the two and being a bit disappointed at 18 seconds but nobody went to or bought Mania strictly to see that match so it's really the one place they could "safely" do it. The whole thing was booked as "the cowardly chickenshit heel is going to get his comeuppance/be embarrassed on the grandest stage of them all". They were clearly going to get the chance to have a "proper match" down the road. It was there to pop the casual/young/majority audience and it did exactly that. And they wound up having one of the top 3-5 matches of the entire year the following month.

As for the rest, it's still only been 5-6 months or so since the catchphrase really started getting over/getting the big reactions. I understand that people want to see him get that chance. Fuck, I do too. But 5 months is nothing. 5 months into his "big connection" with the audience and Steve Austin hadn't even turned babyface yet and was over a year away from winning the world title. 5 months into them clearly moving John Cena towards a prominent position and he was holding the US title. 5 months into Batista getting the shove and yeah, he was heading to Mania but that was only because they jumped on the Orton switch (because he'd become red hot/was getting the top babyface reaction) and realized they'd jumped too early and slowed it down and switched to Batista. The only guy they've really pounced on the immediate popularity of and placated was CM Punk and that was because he was about to walk out of the company altogether. As long as his popularity maintains or keeps rising as it seems to be doing, I just don't see the rush or the lack of ability to see where he winds up. As I said in another thread, if in a years time he's gone nowhere/didn't get "that chance" and he's toiling away in the middle of the card to a third of the reaction he's currently getting then by all means, verbally rape WWE for missing the boat entirely. But not after 5-6 months.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #143
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Quote:
Given that since the invasion both of them have had the book along with Vince, and there has been constant colossal fuckups and bad booking, I don't see how this is out of the realm of possibility to you.
I've taken it into consideration, trust me.

Guys like Lesnar, Orton, Guerrero, Benoit, RVD, Angle, CM Punk, etc., etc., could have and should have been pushed more wisely, but weren't.

As result - all of the aforementioned achieved superstardom, but could have been even bigger in the WWE. I get that.

With Daniel Bryan however, it just seems like WAY too obvious of a thing. Like they would almost have to be borderline down-syndrome retarded to NOT capitalize on this........or NOT see what's going on.

Vince McMahon, etc. have made stupid decisions lots of times, but he/they are also very successful businessmen. I just can't see them missing something so blatantly obvious here.

Again though - time will tell.

Perhaps the WWE were pushing Bryan 'under the rug' a little to see how fans would react (i.e. to see if the fans were genuine in wanting to see Bryan as a superstar). A "litmus" test if you will.

If the fans weren't truly behind Bryan, they would've forgotten about him for the most part (as they did with Zack Ryder).
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #144
CSL
Over Like Rover

#1-wwf-fan had a good point elsewhere. They almost made a mistake by giving Bryan the belt at SummerSlam because they made expectations ridiculously high. If this had been done in reverse order only with the exact same booking, Wyatt to Orton to Cena, we'd probably be hearing about how brilliantly booked the whole thing is.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #145
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Quote:
#1-wwf-fan had a good point elsewhere. They almost made a mistake by giving Bryan the belt at SummerSlam because they made expectations ridiculously high. If this had been done in reverse order only with the exact same booking, Wyatt to Orton to Cena, we'd probably be hearing about how brilliantly booked the whole thing is.
I definitely see the logic behind that, and would agree, but I also don't see Summerslam as being a mistake at all.

Bryan got a HUGE pop at Summerslam, and leading up to Summerslam, and the fans went nuts when he beat Cena clean.

It would be interesting to see what the numbers of the PPV buyrate really was..........and if it was low due to Bryan's presence, or low due to a crappy product as a whole.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #146
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
the fan reaction to the Sheamus/Mania WHC match was ridiculous because of the intensity. Yes, I completely understand going to Mania or watching Mania and hoping to see a great match between the two and being a bit disappointed at 18 seconds but nobody went to or bought Mania strictly to see that match so it's really the one place they could "safely" do it. The whole thing was booked as "the cowardly chickenshit heel is going to get his comeuppance/be embarrassed on the grandest stage of them all". They were clearly going to get the chance to have a "proper match" down the road. It was there to pop the casual/young/majority audience and it did exactly that. And they wound up having one of the top 3-5 matches of the entire year the following month.

As for the rest, it's still only been 5-6 months or so since the catchphrase really started getting over/getting the big reactions. I understand that people want to see him get that chance. Fuck, I do too. But 5 months is nothing. 5 months into his "big connection" with the audience and Steve Austin hadn't even turned babyface yet and was over a year away from winning the world title. 5 months into them clearly moving John Cena towards a prominent position and he was holding the US title. 5 months into Batista getting the shove and yeah, he was heading to Mania but that was only because they jumped on the Orton switch (because he'd become red hot/was getting the top babyface reaction) and realized they'd jumped too early and slowed it down and switched to Batista. The only guy they've really pounced on the immediate popularity of and placated was CM Punk and that was because he was about to walk out of the company altogether. As long as his popularity maintains or keeps rising as it seems to be doing, I just don't see the rush or the lack of ability to see where he winds up. As I said in another thread, if in a years time he's gone nowhere/didn't get "that chance" and he's toiling away in the middle of the card to a third of the reaction he's currently getting then by all means, verbally rape WWE for missing the boat entirely. But not after 5-6 months.
I totally get what you're trying to say, but they just aren't protecting him the same way they protected a guy like Austin. If Daniel Bryan is simmering in the mid cards that is great, let it bubble but keep him SUPER STRONG like they did with Austin. That means, not having HHH calling him a b plus player and a never will be without any follow up. And that means no jobbing him out in ppv curtain jerkers.

I get giving Bray "the rub" and giving him a great match, but shit, give him a big clean win over a guy not simmering and waiting to explode, and then put Bryan over him in the same sort of match they had at the rumble, where it wouldn't hurt Bray. Give them a nice lengthy feud bubbling with non stop intensity much the same as Rock and Austin for the IC title (obviously two completely different guys, but you can parallel two very talented guys who aren't quite at the top yet).

Mind you Bryan losing didn't hurt Bryan because he's fucking incredible, but that's still not protecting a guy. That's him protecting himself by being the man.

I fully agree that the slow burn is the way to go, it always is, but there has to be a consistant build up, and they do not do that. There is a constant stimying of his momentum, not even out of spite or out of not liking him, but simply out of incompetence and not paying attention to detail. People want them to strike while the iron is hot, because at this juncture in time, they are not competent enough to make a slow burn work. The fans are afraid they'll have a direction and intent for him, and then just forget about him and he'll drown and toil in the mid cards, and the people are justified given the company's recent track record.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #147
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
Now we're on the same page.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #148
CSL
Over Like Rover

Quote:
I definitely see the logic behind that, and would agree, but I also don't see Summerslam as being a mistake at all.

Bryan got a HUGE pop at Summerslam, and leading up to Summerslam, and the fans went nuts when he beat Cena clean.
nah I don't see it as a mistake either. I don't really know either way tbh. Who's to say Bryan has the current level of popularity he does/has the fans clamouring to see him get the belt if they didn't give them that initial "taste" in the first place?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #149
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

I was actually thinking the same thing
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #150
CSL
Over Like Rover

Quote:
Mind you Bryan losing didn't hurt Bryan because he's fucking incredible, but that's still not protecting a guy. That's him protecting himself by being the man.
he was protected by the whole concussion issue. Yeah Bray went over clean but it was more of an "opportunistic" clean as opposed to "the better man" clean, big difference. They couldn't have made a bigger deal out of the concussion during the match and the finish came from Bryan taking damage in a spectacular way to "that already injured/concussed brain". He was practically bulletproof in that match.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #151
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

But the Orton feud almost took all the wind out of his sails. Partially because Orton is so paint by the numbers. Also because all it was, was HHH stealing heat off of guys again. That filthy heat leach.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #152
Poit
The Champ is Here!

Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
And again - If Daniel Bryan had entered the rumble and had won the rumble, things would have been extremely formulaic. The fact that "The Machine" prevented Bryan from entering the rumble has made the fans love Bryan even more. Period.
"Formulaic" does not mean "bad". Winning formulas are called such because, well, they work.

Quote:
Not gonna comment on the previous Bryan/Sheamus Mania match because the reaction to that was ridiculous as well
I normally reserve this for the podcast, but OH COME ON. The crowd reaction to Bryan's 18-second loss (especially the reaction the next night on Raw) is what started his rise to the top. Without that, he would have been just another midcard former world champ, like Miz, Ziggler, etc. But with those reactions, he went on to Team Hell No and then to winning the title at Summerslam.
Poit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #153
Heyman
Father of Hinduship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poit View Post
"Formulaic" does not mean "bad". Winning formulas are called such because, well, they work.
So by this logic, should the WWE always have their current Top Face win the Royal Rumble, to then be followed by a predictable title victory at Mania?

I certainly don't think so.

Why not show some creativity?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #154
Poit
The Champ is Here!

Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Poit makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Ugh, no. Just because something is good doesn't mean you must always do it.

Also, Kant was a douche.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #155
CSL
Over Like Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poit View Post
I normally reserve this for the podcast, but OH COME ON. The crowd reaction to Bryan's 18-second loss (especially the reaction the next night on Raw) is what started his rise to the top. Without that, he would have been just another midcard former world champ, like Miz, Ziggler, etc. But with those reactions, he went on to Team Hell No and then to winning the title at Summerslam.
I wasn't talking about the crowds reaction, I was talking about the internet having a breakdown over it. And the crowd reaction at Mania was a pretty significant pop for Sheamus winning (job done WWE) and that legit manic reaction for Bryan lasted for one night (the post-Mania RAW) the internet/smart crowd were always behind him and the volume went up and down depending how "smart" the crowd was in a specific town. Team Hell No showed he had a personality and was somebody to be gotten behind/when everybody else started to cotton on. And even if that 18 second match did kickstart his rise then surely that further proves that once again it was nothing to bitch about, which is what I've said from the moment the match happened.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #156
Poit
The Champ is Here!

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the crowds reaction, I was talking about the internet having a breakdown over it. And the crowd reaction at Mania was a pretty significant pop for Sheamus winning (job done WWE) and that legit manic reaction for Bryan lasted for one night (the post-Mania RAW) the internet/smart crowd were always behind him and the volume went up and down depending how "smart" the crowd was in a specific town. Team Hell No showed he had a personality and was somebody to be gotten behind. And even if that 18 second match did kickstart his rise then surely that further proves that once again it was nothing to bitch about, which is what I've said from the moment the match happened.
My apologies, I thought you were saying the reactions for Bryan after his WHC loss at Mania were a bad thing.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #157
McLegend
Temporary

McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)McLegend has 75,000 or more rep points (75,000+)
I might be he best or the worst person to weigh in on this. I'm no longer immersed with wrestling. I hardly watch Raw, and I never watch Smackdown. I can't even name half the roster anymore. I just read result and reaction on here from shows now. So right now I don't have a strong attachment to anyone.

So I agree with the thread premise that Daniel Bryan is actually being booked well. It seems like every week more and more people want to see him, which is what you want. So good work there.

However it's all for not if Daniel Bryan is wrestling Sheamus at Wrestlemania. He has to be in a big match at Mania. If it's not for the title it has be to be against HHH, and Daniel Bryan has to win.

If he does wrestle Sheamus... I think DB loses. WWE has always been high on Sheamus.

So yes WWE is doing well with him right now, but they are probably going to fuck it up.
McLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #158
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:

It would be interesting to see what the numbers of the PPV buyrate really was..........and if it was low due to Bryan's presence, or low due to a crappy product as a whole.
It worked for that night but if they didn't plan on making Bryan a fixture in the world title scene and booking him on that "major player"level, was it worth it? Like I said, it gave fans the idea that he could be the new face of the company. If WWE doesn't feel that way, they made a mistake letting the fans think they might be.

I honestly think if they never did that tease, Bryan would still be ridiculously over but crowds wouldn't be shitting all over the rest of the main event because they wouldn't expect Bryan in it to begin with and they wouldn't be stuck in the position of pretty much HAVING to put Bryan in the main event at WrestleMania whether they like it or not.
#1-norm-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #159
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
And the SummerSlam buys weren't very good. 296,000 compared to 358,000 the year before. The following Cena-less PPVs headlined by Bryan going for the title were down, too.
#1-norm-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #160
Bad News Gertner
Best Poster

Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Sometimes all that matters is that you get from point A to point B and not how you got there.
Bad News Gertner is offline   Reply With Quote