TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 04-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Jon Kano

Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
LOST Theories (will have spoliers)

OK, I want to start a thread for actual LOST theory discussion. Of course spoliers will be part of it so it would be good to have a separate thread so discussion can be free flowing etc.

OK basically I have been wanting to post my entire lost theory but I have not had time to type it all out, but last night I was watching some of season 4 and 5 and pieced together a few theories….

I think the end of this season is going to end with ‘the incident’ or near it. The Swan/The Hatch/thing thing behind the concrete wall, let’s face it – it’s the Jugghead H bomb which needs to be purged every 108 minutes unless it blows or something. The incident/burst of some radiation or whatever it is, causes radiation or ‘the sickness’ or some kind of Quarantine effect which also disables women to give birth.

I think Jacob is definitely someone we already know, possibly Desmond or faraday – they are both unique with their knowledge of time travel/cause and effect/the constant aspect, and have the ability to see how time is going to work out …

For example….. Jacob gives a list to his people of 3 survivors they need to capture, Sawyer and Kate in particular were bought over to help with the construction of ‘smashing rocks’ aka the runway which allowed them to return 2 seasons later. Its like everything has been constructed since their early lives for them all to land, and finish the kind of loop they are on to the point which will be seen in the last season, this ‘war’ Widmore and Ben are on about.

I also think it would mean more and make more sense for Jacob to be someone we already know as opposed to some mystical new being type character.

Another thought about how certain characters total arc may end…Jack doesn’t know why he’s come back to the island yet, sure he does, he went to Australia to bring his father home, I think in the end that’s whats going to happen, Jack, Christian, Claire they will all leave at the end, maybe with Juliet too so she can be with her sister. Kate, Sawyer, Lock even Hurly will probably stay. People like Frank, Miles and even Sayid will probably be killed.

I’m going to get back into posting my theories, it would be good to see what other people think.

There are stories of coincidence and chance and intersections and strange things told and which is which and who only knows....and we generally say, "Well if that was in movie I wouldn't believe it." Someone's so and so meet someone else's so and so and so on -- It is in the humble opinion of this narrator that these strange things happen all the time.......and so it goes and so it goes and the book says, "We may be through with the past, but the past ain’t through with us."
Jon Kano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Requiem

Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
http://www.timelooptheory.com
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Jon Kano

Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Jon Kano has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Yeah thats another site, I mean discussion for here.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
Jon Kano

Already looking at their stuff, one thing to note...

4. The pressing of the button in the swan was resetting time on the island, keeping it in a loop - Maybe

This is what I kinda thought, then changed it to my H-Bomb theory.

But this also kinda relates to something I have a hard time getting my head round....

- Supposedly the Island is hidden from the outside world, radar, equipment etc, which is why when Desmond turned the key, it was visable to the outside world for a brief period of time.

- In season 2, the Island and survivors received drops of supplies, food etc from Dharma HQ, as if they thought the operation was still going (which would be supported by the flame and Mikhail etc) But that means a plan must of known where and when to drop it, information someone like Widmore would easily be able to steal or know of if this is the case. Still, drops were made.

- Yet in season 5, Mrs Hawking said the Island was constantly travelling through time and no one could find it.

WTF?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
The Destroyer
Baird

The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
My theory is they're making it up as they go along.

You're probably right about the season finale though, since the actual episode title is "The Incident". The nuke is bound to play into it somehow, since it seems a bit pointless to have ever introduced it in the first place otherwise.

That time loop theory seems to make some pretty major leaps though, so I don't buy it.
The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
Jon Kano

I didn't know the incident was the actual title of the last episode fyi
Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
Shaggy
Yipee Kai Yay!!!

Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)Shaggy has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
For some reason I keep thinking that Richard Alpert is Jacob
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
Jon Kano

I keep thinking when trying to figure out who he is, to look at what/who we saw sittin in the chair in season 3 in the 'Man Behind the Curtain'

I personally think its Desmond, Locke or Faraday, based on not only story theory but also basic appearance.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
Jon Kano

The man is actually one of the prop guys on set lol
Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The incident will have nothing to do with the Bomb.

They are building the swan now.

In the orientation videos, CHeng says the sation was built to monitor the Electromagnetic properties of the Island.

Then the incident happens, so now they have to press the code every 108 minutes to disperse the pent up energy.

I imagine the incident will be some form of massive explosion due to them building the Swan and trying to harness the massive energy.
Hanso Amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Hanso Amore makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I do think the bomb will play a part in later stories...perhaps putting the Island to rest at the end of the series.

Like somehow they are about to escape the island, and someone stays back to blow up the Island with the unearthed Nuke (since it was burried) to put an end to all the fighting over control of the Island.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Jon Kano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanso View Post
The incident will have nothing to do with the Bomb.

They are building the swan now.

In the orientation videos, CHeng says the sation was built to monitor the Electromagnetic properties of the Island.

Then the incident happens, so now they have to press the code every 108 minutes to disperse the pent up energy.

I imagine the incident will be some form of massive explosion due to them building the Swan and trying to harness the massive energy.
Few things...

Yeah they're bulding the Swan now, as in Dharma heyday (1970s), the same decade they pretty much arrived and set up their stations, but it was in the 1950s (young Widmore/Richard/Daniel examining it) when the others were told it needs to be buried. The timeline of events just fits; buried, twenty years later, found, followed by an incident.

We saw Faraday present when Cheng/Wickmud/Halliwax and the miners found something which alarmed him/caused caution. It was under ground, and in the second season when Sayid examined the concrete wall, he referred to Chernobyl. Just kinda hits to something they didn't expect to find, and its contained like a nuclear problem.

Fair enough he said the station was meant to examine electromagnetism on the Island, but the Blash Door map says there are several electromagnetic areas with 'unique geological properties' scattered all over the Island, it might be in one place with one unique property, but it examines the whole Island.

I also think if its something supernatural, as in part of the actual Island mythology (Cerebus/Statue/Egyptian Markings/Donkey Wheel/) its usually part of a related theme, not just randomly found in the ground. There seems to be a system at work where supernatural things belong. But then it could be something new.

And if your saying the incident is a massive exlosion due to them trying to harness its energy, then wouldn't the Swan and the area its built around be destroyed? We know it gets built, something happens, but its contained enough for the Swan to remain.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kano View Post
Few things...

Yeah they're bulding the Swan now, as in Dharma heyday (1970s), the same decade they pretty much arrived and set up their stations, but it was in the 1950s (young Widmore/Richard/Daniel examining it) when the others were told it needs to be buried. The timeline of events just fits; buried, twenty years later, found, followed by an incident.

We saw Faraday present when Cheng/Wickmud/Halliwax and the miners found something which alarmed him/caused caution. It was under ground, and in the second season when Sayid examined the concrete wall, he referred to Chernobyl. Just kinda hits to something they didn't expect to find, and its contained like a nuclear problem.

Fair enough he said the station was meant to examine electromagnetism on the Island, but the Blash Door map says there are several electromagnetic areas with 'unique geological properties' scattered all over the Island, it might be in one place with one unique property, but it examines the whole Island.

I also think if its something supernatural, as in part of the actual Island mythology (Cerebus/Statue/Egyptian Markings/Donkey Wheel/) its usually part of a related theme, not just randomly found in the ground. There seems to be a system at work where supernatural things belong. But then it could be something new.

And if your saying the incident is a massive exlosion due to them trying to harness its energy, then wouldn't the Swan and the area its built around be destroyed? We know it gets built, something happens, but its contained enough for the Swan to remain.

Ok, so you think a Nuke us going to do less damage?

Since when do Nukes have any type of Magnetism? And I think people put way too much into the Sayid quote from many season ago, when the story was still forming and I am sure things have changed quite a bit. Remember, they are writing this as they go. Characters have left and had to be written out and the story changed, and new characters were added. I dont think Ben was part of the shows ideas until after season one. he was only suppose to be a bit player. Dont build a case on a one liner that really had no signifigance to anything unless you try to twist it to an idea.

When building the Orchid, they found the Donkey Wheel behind the wall...Nothing to do with the Swan.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Requiem

Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Huh? I'm pretty sure they were only writing the show 'as they went' before they knew how many seasons they were signed for. Once they found out when the show was going to be over, they wrote the rest of it. During the first bit, they had an actual plan, but had to come up with all the in-between stuff.

I have read that at this point, the writing is finished for the most part, and the only cast member who knows how it ends is Jack.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
Smarky The Shark
Minoru Fujita FTW

Smarky The Shark does not have that much rep yet (10+)
NERDS
Smarky The Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
CSL
Over Like Rover

CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)CSL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Never liked the watermelon ones, the wild cherry ones though =
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Jon Kano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Huh? I'm pretty sure they were only writing the show 'as they went' before they knew how many seasons they were signed for. Once they found out when the show was going to be over, they wrote the rest of it. During the first bit, they had an actual plan, but had to come up with all the in-between stuff.

I have read that at this point, the writing is finished for the most part, and the only cast member who knows how it ends is Jack.
Even so, with the exception of a few continuity and narrative errors, they have done a pretty good job of orchastrating things around the writer's strike, actors commitments, unforseen circumstances. All to a degree of being a kickass story.

I have read many times and conclude that its half and half, they did have an overall idea of what the story of LOST is/was and will be, but along the way, things changed for sure.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #18
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Well seeing as most of the last few seasons have been based around a guy that was never planned to be on for more than 5 episodes, I would say that they change their plans ALOT.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #19
Jon Kano

Quote:
Well seeing as most of the last few seasons have been based around a guy that was never planned to be on for more than 5 episodes, I would say that they change their plans ALOT.
I would say LOST is the show that is the complete opposite of basing their story on one character.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
Jon Kano

Quote:
Ok, so you think a Nuke us going to do less damage?

Since when do Nukes have any type of Magnetism? And I think people put way too much into the Sayid quote from many season ago, when the story was still forming and I am sure things have changed quite a bit. Remember, they are writing this as they go. Characters have left and had to be written out and the story changed, and new characters were added. I dont think Ben was part of the shows ideas until after season one. he was only suppose to be a bit player. Dont build a case on a one liner that really had no signifigance to anything unless you try to twist it to an idea.

When building the Orchid, they found the Donkey Wheel behind the wall...Nothing to do with the Swan.
For some reason I thought the 'energy' they found was in the Swan area. Ignore my crazy old bomb theory.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
Hanso Amore
You can't teach that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kano View Post
For some reason I thought the 'energy' they found was in the Swan area. Ignore my crazy old bomb theory.
Its a common thought though...lots of Theories contain that....its just one of those little confusing parts since there are so fucking many stations.

God I am a Lost Loser.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
Jon Kano

Quote:
God I am a Lost Loser.
Could be worse, just so happens LOST is the best TV show right now
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #23
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Never really got into Lost. Seems like way too much of a mess for me. Glad it seems to be making sense for all of you to the point where you bother to try and decode it. I'll probably ask someone who watches the show after it ends if it is worth watching through.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #24
Dave Youell
1/2 Optimist 1/2 Amazing

Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Dave Youell puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
One thing I thought of this morning, what if this Locke is actually Locke, but somehow from the far off future and has more knowledge of the island and that's why he has to kill Jacob?

The Body of Locke could be a version of him even further in the future that had to die....

Oh I don't fucking know

Can't wait till Jan
Dave Youell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #25
XL
Feeling Oof-y

XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Didn't "Locke" mention that he found the loophole in the scene with Jacob(or Jacob mentioned it to him)? That pretty much cements that "Locke" is the Man In Black from the pre-credit scene and that Locke is in fact dead, from where I stand.

Your little theory seems a little "out there"...but it is Lost!
XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #26
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Without question there is a presence of time-loop "chicken or the egg" going on. It seems exhausting and pointless to try to speculate where it will go, but I agree with many of that links assumptions.

Personally, I was a little upset when I began to get the impression that free will was in no way present. That's just because I've come to feel with the characters and it's a tough pill to swallow.
But, it's very possible that there isn't. At the same time, I think some instances have shown there is some semblance of free will.

I 100% agree that it all comes down to, (and likely ultimately always will) fate vs destiny. Are they destined to do certain things, and at will to accomplish it however they want? That would seem to be in accordance with course correction.

For instance, when Sayid shot Ben. Did that always happen? At this point I'd say yes, but at first I felt as though that was an instance of their new path affecting the past. Either way, things turned out the way they "did". Perhaps something else happened to Ben during that time frame that led him to The Others, where he was healed and adopted.
After all, Richard told him to "be patient" when they first met. Was he waiting for the specific event of Sayid shooting him to happen? Or was he waiting for something else to happen and it just happened to be Sayid?

The other possibility is that every action is completely pre-destined. This is a concept I would rather not be the case, as the free will w/ course correction seems more fair to the characters. It just seems disheartening. I don't think it's the case though.
Those who travelled back in time to join Dharma in 1977 were presumably "always part of that history"
If they were though, does this mean they will die there in front of Richard? Richard confirms that in the original timeline he did indeed remember them as having been on the island in 1977. Still, he says they died.

If they don't die, which I'm really waiting to see (and I doubt they will), it means they did something different in the timeline us viewers are following. This means there is free will, and even though certain things are destined to happen, they can take the ball and run with it from a certain point.
In essence, there are certain notes that must be hit, like them getting to 1977 and posing for that photograph. But perhaps the rest is up to them. They're "the variables"

If they survive, and get back to 2006 successfully, they're blazing "new ground"

At least that's how it seems to me.
Jeritron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #27
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Also, Jacob's last words (thus far)...."they're coming"

Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #28
Matt Gingarac
Chunkle-vision

Matt Gingarac does not have that much rep yet (10+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeritron View Post
Also, Jacob's last words (thus far)...."they're coming"

Thoughts?
100% Jack and co. who else could it really be.
Matt Gingarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #29
Impact!
R.I.P Tanner

Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Richard saw them "die". Though what he perceives as them dying could possibly be them going "Back To The Future"...
Impact! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #30
Impact!
R.I.P Tanner

Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Impact! puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Also I really can't figure out how Desmond and Charles will figure into the story now...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #31
Jeritron
Get a poke on

So what are your thoughts on free will and fate vs destiny?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #32
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact! View Post
Also I really can't figure out how Desmond and Charles will figure into the story now...
Correct me if I'm missing anything here:

The story sort of moved away from them since they're back in the real world and everyone else is back on the island.

Still, as far as I can remember Charles is still looking for the island. He still wants to get there. He was in a race to get back against Ben. Ben beat him back, but Charles still has unfinished business there.
I don't imagine he would stop.

Also, Ben tried to kill Penny and Desmond. Obviously this has got to upset Desmond.
Basically, Charles and Desmond now have common interests. They both hate Ben Linus. I think this places them on the same page, and puts their problems on the backburner.

I would assume they're looking for the island and want to settle things with Linus.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #33
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL View Post
Didn't "Locke" mention that he found the loophole in the scene with Jacob(or Jacob mentioned it to him)? That pretty much cements that "Locke" is the Man In Black from the pre-credit scene and that Locke is in fact dead, from where I stand.

Your little theory seems a little "out there"...but it is Lost!
Yea I think it's pretty safe to say that "Locke" is the man in black. I think the fact that he's takent he form of a dead man makes even further sense, since it's obvious now that he was posing at Jack's father before that.

When Jack's dad's body arrived on the island, he posed as him to get Locke to return to the island dead, so that he could then mimic Locke, and get even with Jacob.
Guy's a shapeshifter.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #34
Impact!
R.I.P Tanner

Quote:
Correct me if I'm missing anything here:

The story sort of moved away from them since they're back in the real world and everyone else is back on the island.

Still, as far as I can remember Charles is still looking for the island. He still wants to get there. He was in a race to get back against Ben. Ben beat him back, but Charles still has unfinished business there.
I don't imagine he would stop.

Also, Ben tried to kill Penny and Desmond. Obviously this has got to upset Desmond.
Basically, Charles and Desmond now have common interests. They both hate Ben Linus. I think this places them on the same page, and puts their problems on the backburner.

I would assume they're looking for the island and want to settle things with Linus.
Yeah I get all that, I just can't even begin to imagine how that fits into the story now...well next season anyway...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #35
Impact!
R.I.P Tanner

Quote:
So what are your thoughts on free will and fate vs destiny?
Jacob represents free will, other dude represents destiny...Other than that I have no clue
Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #36
Jeritron
Get a poke on

I guess they'll just find the island. I would assume Jack and Co. will find their way back to 2007 with Locke, Ben and Sun.
Once Charles and Desmond are there everyone will be in the same place at the same time, which would presumably build to resolution.

But yea, I don't know what role they'll have if and when they get there.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #37
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Do you feel the actions and choices of the characters carry flexibility though? I mean, what they do may inevitably yield certain outcomes set forth by destiny, but some of what they do must be up to them. I like to think they are in control of themselves, but not what happens.
For instance, can a character decide to do things on their own terms, but the fate of things around them either allows or disallows their goal to happen.
I think that's closer to how things are, since course correction has been defined within the story.

The other possibility is that every action, thought, and word of theirs is pre-determined. I don't know how I feel about that.

I tend to leads towards the former.

Last edited by Jeritron; 06-05-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #38
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Farady says they are variables and have free will.

I am inclined to believe him. The only thing that makes me question it all is the fact that Jack and Co. were "always" a part of 1977. Even when they were setting up camp and figuring things out in their first stay on the island, their future was presumably already a part of the island's past.
If their destiny is not written, how can this be? Was it a loose path that was certain to happen, but how and why was up to them?
For instance, think of the man in red shoes that Ms. Hawking points out to Desmond. He was destined to die. How he died was irrelevant. That was up to him, and those around him. They had the free will to save his life, or he could change his mind and not go outside that day.
Still, he was going to die.

I think similarly of the characters. They were destined to wind up back in 1977, and while they were there they were destined to become part of Dharma.

Everything else was up to them. If Jack had decided not to take the chopper and try to escape the island, they would have ended up in 1977 some other way.

I guess the analogy is that no matter what they're having pizza for dinner, but they can choose when they're going to have it, and what they want on it.

Was it written that they would arrive in 1977 and do exactly what we're seeing them do now, or was it just certain that they would arrive there, and the details were up to them as people?

Last edited by Jeritron; 06-05-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #39
thedamndest
A Property of Matter

thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)thedamndest makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I think the Losties' presence in 1977 is slightly different from course correction. Faraday says that they are always part of 1977 and that whatever happens happens. To me, that means everything has already happened down to the detail. From the Losties' point of view in 1977, it is the present as it is for everyone on the island, but they are living it as it actually happened and as it was always going to happen. I think Slaughterhouse Five refers to time measured in this way, as a measurement.

For the most part, we see the characters living their lives without regard to this law, but it does seem to shape the outcome of some events. Some characters say "Oh, what does it matter, it's always going to happen" and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the events actually turned out the way they did. I think every detail down to the smallest finger wiggle must have always happened. See: The Laws of Ian Malcolm and Chaos Theory or the Butterfly Effect.

Course Correction seems to be more of a storyline device and I'm not sure if we've seen the last of it or we're going to see a macroscale version of it pertaining to the island as a whole instead of just Charlie/the man in red shoes.
thedamndest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #40
Jeritron
Get a poke on

That would mean that everything has always happened then, including their path in 2004.

That means every detail is pre-destined and they have no control over their actions? What's the point in even trying?