PDA

View Full Version : Matt Striker

GD
02-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I really don't know. I am watching WWE Elimination Chamber and I am finding him highly irritating in some parts. I miss JBL.

St. Jimmy
02-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Agreed.

The One
02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
MICHAEL COLE IS THE ONLY GOOD ANNOUNCER THESE DAYS FUCKHEAD!

TOVO Fact: Tovo didn't make it to the gym yesterday. He feels lazy this week.

GD
02-25-2010, 06:47 PM
It's high time they pushed Todd up the ladder.

BigDaddyCool
02-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Tiger Ali Sighn

Team Sheep
02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
I made a thread about how annoying Striker is a couple of months back. I think people are starting to catch on (including JR) :p

Mr. C
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Was really terrible during Cena/Batista.

Batista goes for the Batista Bomb.

Striker: Oh, yeah!

Batista gets the three-count.

Striker: Yesss!

GD
02-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Matt isn't that convincing. JBL on the other hand, did a tremendous job of building up guys like Matt and Ken Kennedy/Anderson on Smackdown.

Dorkchop
02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Tiger Ali Sighn
Just Joe

TGR
02-25-2010, 08:07 PM
JBL was fantastic. I miss the fucker. :(

Destor
02-25-2010, 08:08 PM
i like striker...

Calamondin
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
He is fairly good, he just tried too hard sometimes.

Nicky Fives
02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Striker is awesome.... it is a nice change that annnouncers actually seem to know things other than the info put in front of them in their script....

Lock Jaw
02-25-2010, 09:17 PM
I love Matt Striker.

Never really heard JBL behind the booth, but I wouldn't want him there even if he was totally Awesome. Because he's just too good for that. If he comes back, it should be as a manger of a stable or horses.

FourFifty
02-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Never really heard JBL behind the booth,

You, my friend, have missed out on so much. I mean, dude, it's like missing Christmas or the 4th of July.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Striker is awesome.... it is a nice change that annnouncers actually seem to know things other than the info put in front of them in their script....

Juan
02-25-2010, 11:59 PM
lol people were clamoring for years for a heel announcer. Now we pretty much have that in Matt Striker and people still aren't happy. Shocking.

Favre4Ever
02-26-2010, 12:01 AM
JBL/Paul Heyman would have been a fun announce team.

The MAC
02-26-2010, 01:55 AM
striker must get screamed at after every broadcast. He was destroying takers character at the rumble..lol..

DarKCentaur
02-26-2010, 08:13 PM
lol people were clamoring for years for a heel announcer. Now we pretty much have that in Matt Striker and people still aren't happy. Shocking.

Michael Cole is all the heel announcing that we need :roll:

screech
02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I love Striker. Finally an announcer with some personality and people still whine.

Jordan
02-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Striker was great on NXT but I really didn't like him at the Elimination Chamber AT ALL. "This Colossal Coliseum" give me a break.

Josh Mathews was great on NXT with Micheal Cole, just wanted to state.

Metal Gear Yoshi
02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the guy except he's need to make shit up since he was bought up from ECW. When King and Cole were having a conversation and continually stating the obvious while Striker was pulling faces at the camera at Elimination Chamber was awesome.

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2010, 10:53 PM
striker must get screamed at after every broadcast. He was destroying takers character at the rumble..lol..

I LOVED Striker's Rumble commentary. To me, it was actually more enjoyable than the fucking match. The way Striker ran with The Undertaker's bloodied nose as an indicator of the mortality of The Undertaker -- reminding us that The Undertaker is just a man. A fucking scary man -- but just a man. Striker also does his best to hype Rey Mysterio despite shitty assist from his partners: "Rey Mysterio is the ultimate underdog!" "Actually, Michael, Rey Mysterio is a former World Heavyweight Champion and has won countless other championships across several continents in his career -- I would never bet my money against Rey Mysterio, who has spent a lifetime proving people like you wrong." That's not actually a Matt Striker quote, but it's the message you get from him.

I just generally love Matt Striker. I enjoyed him as a wrestler, I love him as a commentator and he surprised me on WWE NXT. It seems like such a thankless job, but Striker managed to boost up basically being an interviewer to almost being a probe inside the NXT rookies' minds. The way Striker would often tell them what they should be thinking, or he would press a question if they gave a non-answer. He doesn't just smile and nod.

You can tell the man loves his job, and he is probably the most enthusiastic about it in the entire company. Sometimes he might go over-the-top with some of his adjectives, as JR said (who I bet is a little jealous of how Striker has pretty much taken a relief position and made it his own), but that's something that allows Striker to really stand-out as a personality -- love him or hate him for it. I mean, we still make "BAH GAWD! AUSTIN!" jokes to this day, just because it is something that is so associated with an iconic voice in professional wrestling. Tony Schiavone has "this will be the greatest night in the history of our sport!" Is Matt Striker's thing being "he uses big words" really that bad?

And yes, I do miss JBL as a commentator. And Paul Heyman. And, truthfully, Jim Ross with a heel partner. Or Jim Ross as the less babyface, more objective commentator. I used to love it when he would put over Dolph Ziggler, despite Ziggler being a heel.

Michael Cole and John Bradshaw Layfield for RAW
Jim Ross and Paul Heyman for WWE NXT
Todd Grisham and Matt Striker for SmackDown!
Josh Mathews and the color analyst from whatever show is being represented in that particular match for Superstars

There is my dream commentator casting. Michael Cole & JBL worked well together, and JBL is so good at getting characters over. He'd have made Sheamus seem like the biggest threat in the world from the booth. JR & Paul Heyman both have experience working with talent and helping them develop, and have such fantastic chemistry together. Todd Grisham & Matt Striker are just gold together. Josh Mathews calling Superstars with either JBL, Heyman or Striker would lead to three teams that I would greatly enjoy. It would also make Mathews the "star announcer" of Superstars, and would give him a lot of practice working with three different partners.

Skippord
02-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I like Striker a lot

and I hate JBL

Jordan
02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
I think what WWE is doing with commentators right now is just fine for the most part. Raw is set, NXT was good, I just wish they would add somebody with a little more history to Smackdown!

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Todd Grisham & Matt Striker are making their own history. As Jim Ross apparently is hesistant about being on the road full-time again -- he could be an occasional addition to the SmackDown! team?

GD
02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I wish Todd could do the show solo* :naughty:

DAMN iNATOR
02-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Matt's not too bad...he just over-uses his intellectualism and talks over a lot of fans' heads with some of the things he says. Not that he can help it...he used to be a teacher or professor before coming to WWE.

Jeritron
02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
lol

St. Jimmy
02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Striker always sounds like he's giddily jerking off under the table the entire broadcast and is making some smarmy pseudo-intelligent conversational quips to make up for it that often make no damn sense. If he's the best we can get for a "heel" announcer then I guess I'd rather be floating in a sea of "VINTAGE" comments and King being as PC as possible.

jerichoholicninja
02-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Striker is gold. He uses his intellect to put down the faces in the ring, whoever he's announcing with and most importantly the fans listening at home. He's not heel King who would've sucked Vince's dick on camera if he could and spouted things only immature men and 13 year old boys would say. He's sort of the opposite of the king. He's sophisticated, intelligent and cultured, but he's still a guy you hate.

Poit
02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Matt's not too bad...he just over-uses his intellectualism and talks over a lot of fans' heads with some of the things he says. Not that he can help it...he used to be a teacher or professor before coming to WWE.

He was a high school teacher. If he can't help but talk over people's heads, then it's a good thing he's no longer a teacher. It's just his character.

Snowden
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
The best thing about Striker is that he sounds, well, different than the other vanilla commentators the 'E puts out there. Grish and Matthews are very generic PBP guys, Lawler is some kind of neutered, blindly face version of his former self, and Cole is, well, Cole.

Striker may not be a breath of fresh air, but hey, he's at least new air.