PDA

View Full Version : WrestleMania 26 - What goes on last?

Evil Vito
02-26-2010, 08:58 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I can't think of any other year where there were two matches that I really couldn't decide which should be the main event of WrestleMania.

<b>WWE Title Match:</b> Right now it's Cena vs. Batista, and it might stay that way. However, since I'm not sure Bret Hart can work a full match, it might be Cena w/ Bret vs. Batista w/ Vince, or even Cena & Bret vs. Batista & Vince in a tag match with the winning pinfall getting the belt.

<b>Taker vs. Michaels:</b> If any non-title match ever deserved to headline WM, it's this one, especially after they tore the house down last year and the final two matches really had no chance to top it.

---

There are arguments that can be made both ways. I normally always feel like a Title match should end the show, but I'm not sure HBK/Taker could be denied that top spot...especially given the magnitude of it. Either a prestigious streak ends, or HBK retires (granted he probably won't fully retire even if he lost, but kayfabe-wise, it's still a huge deal). Plus, factoring in all they've done for the company, they do deserve the chance to close it out.

Also, I kinda worry that the WWE Title will get lost in the Bret/Vince hype if those feuds are indeed combined into one match (much like WM16 with the "McMahon in Every Corner!" thing, or Jericho/HHH where it was really a feud between HHH/Steph). Bret potentially winning the WWE Title would be huge and all, but it would seem like a really gimmicky way to end WM.

So yeah, my personal choice is Taker/HBK.

Poll coming, just those two choices. Before anybody says it, no, Jericho/Edge is not an option. It will be a fantastic match I'm sure, but you really can't make the case that it should go last. Not to mention, I'm sure some people would be pretty pissed off that a guy who missed as much time as he did gets the most coveted match slot of the year.</font>

Xero
02-26-2010, 08:59 PM
I'd PREFER Edge vs Jericho, but we're getting Cena/Bats as the main event.

I would never put Taker/HBK last unless it was a title match. Mania should always end with a title match.

Jordan
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Am I wrong in assuming its going to be Edge/Jericho because Edge won the Rumble? I mean that is for the MAIN EVENT spot at Wrestlemania. Is there any history since the brand split that proves otherwise?

Heros Welcome
02-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree with the notion that Mania should end with a title match, but the way Taker HBK is going to be built and the fact that its Career v. Streak I think this storyline, even without a title, is BIGGER than either title match.

Edge Jericho is going to be a great match I think but I don't see it closing. Also with the possibility of them going tag match for the WWE title, I don't see that being the right choice to close either.

Undertaker HBK is the match everyone wants to see. Everyone knows its going to tear the house down and nothing is going to be able to follow it. They should get top billing this time around.

Xero
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Am I wrong in assuming its going to be Edge/Jericho because Edge won the Rumble? I mean that is for the MAIN EVENT spot at Wrestlemania. Is there any history since the brand split that proves otherwise?

Like 4 of the last 5 Rumble winners didn't main event.

Innovator
02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Take note of last year, nothing is topping HBK vs. Taker

Mr. Pierre
02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I think Streak vs. Career should go on last because as last year showed, nothing can possibly follow that.

Title or not, I think most of the audience and PPV buyers care about this match the most. And in my opinion, it seems like this match is the one WWE cares about the most, given the build.

I think Edge/Jericho will go on at the halfway point of the show, Cena/Bats will go on 3rd to last, with a filler segment/match in between Taker/HBK, which I think will ME.

Juan
02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Taker's streak matches rarely go on last, especially when they're not for a title. I don't expect this to change.

Metal Gear Yoshi
02-26-2010, 09:49 PM
It depends on what the perception of last years mania was in the WWE. Do they think the mainevent died a death because it was following HBK Vs. Taker or because the match was shit and boring? The truth is probably that it was a combination of both but the fact that HHH was in the match probably skews the WWE opinion towards the first option therefore they would opt for Streak Vs. Career as the main.

Personally Cena Vs. Batista doesn't cut it on a show that is looking as stacked as Mania is. Edge Vs. Jericho will be awesome but I don't see WWE having confidence it their ability to draw(nor do I). If they do in fact combine the McMahon/Hart feud with the Cena/Batista one then whilst you won't get a great match in terms of workrate out of it you will get a draw. If thats the case then Cena/Hart Vs. Batista/McMahon could main.

Loose Cannon
02-26-2010, 10:06 PM
If Shawn is going over, that moment should be th most important moment on the card. As I have been saying all along, ending the streak will go down as one of the most memorable moments in not just Wretlemania history, but wrestling history. Title matches are a dime a dozen. Sure it's important, but Taker's streak has more meaning to it.

If Taker is going over, the match doesn't need to be last. If Shawn is going over, I wouldn't think twice about putting it on last if I was booking the thing

Loose Cannon
02-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree with the notion that Mania should end with a title match, but the way Taker HBK is going to be built and the fact that its Career v. Streak I think this storyline, even without a title, is BIGGER than either title match.

Edge Jericho is going to be a great match I think but I don't see it closing. Also with the possibility of them going tag match for the WWE title, I don't see that being the right choice to close either.

Undertaker HBK is the match everyone wants to see. Everyone knows its going to tear the house down and nothing is going to be able to follow it. They should get top billing this time around.

yea, didn't even read this before my post. you get it.

Droford
02-26-2010, 10:14 PM
It'll be HBK/Taker..boring Womens crap..Cena/Batista

Jordan
02-26-2010, 11:15 PM
I think HBK/Taker is the draw, it should go on last.

Jordan
02-26-2010, 11:16 PM
But it won't due to the storyline.

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I actually think the storyline hurts The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels' as a headliner. That and it is not for a title. If HBK had won the Royal Rumble, then by all means it should close. But without a title and because either Taker fans or HBK fans are going to be bummed after the match, I think it goes on earlier in the night.

Many don't think it will, and I can understand why; but I hope that they just say "fuck it" and have Chris Jericho vs. Edge headline. It makes the most sense to me. Edge won the Royal Rumble, and historically that means nothing, but they went back to the Royal Rumble Winner gettting their title shot last year. It makes that event mean more, and it makes Jericho winning the World Heavyweight Title mean more, and it gives Edge the closing moment of WrestleMania. If the WWE wants him to connect with crowds -- this is the best way to do it.

The WWE often goes unpredictable with what they choose to close the show. I was shocked when The Undertaker and Edge got to do it at WrestleMania XXIV. I was sure the Triple Threat would close, with Cena's return from injury being the great story. Instead it was The Undertaker's random title win.

The Gold Standard
02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
I think Streak vs. Career should go on last because as last year showed, nothing can possibly follow that.

Title or not, I think most of the audience and PPV buyers care about this match the most. And in my opinion, it seems like this match is the one WWE cares about the most, given the build.

This

Xero
02-26-2010, 11:40 PM
IF Taker/HBK went on last, they'd be the only two to ever main event (close out) a WrestleMania in three different decades.

James Steele
02-26-2010, 11:43 PM
IF Taker/HBK went on last, they'd be the only two to ever main event (close out) a WrestleMania in three different decades.

Triple H will do it all by himself in 2020.

James Steele
02-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I am usually a hardcore "Championship goes on last" kind of guy, but Booking 101 says that the entire card should build up to the main event. Nothing will be able to go after HBK/Taker. I say make the people wait for HBK/Taker and the crowd will be even better (no Kid Rock helps too) than it was last year and it will have the ultimate "big match" atmosphere. Remember, WrestleMania I was headlined by Hulk Hogan/Mr. T (with Jimmy Snuka) vs Roddy Piper/Paul Orndorff (with Cowboy Bob Orton) with Muhammad Ali as referee.

Xero
02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I'd love it if Taker/HBK went on last, just can't see it.

Tazz Dan
02-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I would love for Jericho/Edge to close, but I believe they'll be on second last to HBK/Taker. Like someone else stated, the crowd are going to be bummed out over whoever loses. Why would they risk putting that in the middle of the card and possibly have a dead crowd for the remainder?

James Steele
02-27-2010, 12:01 AM
I would love for Jericho/Edge to close, but I believe they'll be on second last to HBK/Taker. Like someone else stated, the crowd are going to be bummed out over whoever loses. Why would they risk putting that in the middle of the card and possibly have a dead crowd for the remainder?

They did have Kid Rock do his thing in the what, 3rd segment of WrestleMania?

Executioner
02-27-2010, 12:03 AM

:love::yes:

Nark Order
02-27-2010, 12:05 AM
What? HBK/Flair wasn't even main event.

James Steele
02-27-2010, 12:09 AM
What? HBK/Flair wasn't even main event.

HBK/Flair was WAY obvious though.

Xero
02-27-2010, 12:10 AM
So was Hogan/Rock.

James Steele
02-27-2010, 12:11 AM
So was Hogan/Rock.

Hogan/Rock ruined Triple H's moment.

Heyman
02-27-2010, 12:49 AM
John Cena vs. Dave Batista will go last and SHOULD go last.

Heyman
02-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Hogan/Rock ruined Triple H's moment.

Yes and no.

Yes - in the sense that the fans blew their load for Rock/Hogan and had nothing left for the final match,

No - in the sense that Triple H was built up poorly as a face (WWE's fault), and went up against a very poorly built up Chris Jericho (i.e. a guy that had been made to look like a weak and flukey transitional champ). If a well built face Triple H had gone up against a heel Austin (i.e. if the WWE hadn't turned Austin into a face after Survivor Series 2001), then Hogan/Rock wouldn't have ruined HHH's moment (as you put it).

Heyman
02-27-2010, 12:55 AM
If Shawn is going over, that moment should be th most important moment on the card. As I have been saying all along, ending the streak will go down as one of the most memorable moments in not just Wretlemania history, but wrestling history. Title matches are a dime a dozen. Sure it's important, but Taker's streak has more meaning to it.

If Taker is going over, the match doesn't need to be last. If Shawn is going over, I wouldn't think twice about putting it on last if I was booking the thing

Actually - I stand corrected. I agree with that THAT.

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels is a fair point to bring up. They didn't headline Mania, nor do they need to. HBK/Taker actually needs something after it with the feeling it is going to create (the end of an era for somebody). End one era, and then begin another. I think Edge would be the best choice creatively, but from a business perspective, I can understand why they would put Cena/Batista on last.

If I had to choose between The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels and Batista vs. John Cena, I would definitely go the WWE Title match.

Tazz Dan
02-27-2010, 01:13 AM
They did have Kid Rock do his thing in the what, 3rd segment of WrestleMania?

I'm sure they've learnt from their mistake. Oh wait, this is wwe. :-\

Supreme Olajuwon
02-27-2010, 01:34 AM
For me, the question is who deserves to have the final pose as the cameras fade out to end the show? And I don't think the answer is even debatable. It's Shawn Michaels, either as his final bow or as the streak ender.

The Franchise
02-27-2010, 01:45 AM
<font color=goldenrod>
<b>Taker vs. Michaels:</b> If any non-title match ever deserved to headline WM, it's this one</font>

What about Hogan vs Rock? That was like the biggest match ever not sure why it didnt go on last.

Anyway I think it will be Batista vs Cena if Cena is planned to win and Taker/Michaels if Batista is planned to retain the title

DaVe
02-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Nothing this year is gonna have a chance of topping Michaels/Taker II. And we already saw that last year.

south776
02-27-2010, 02:00 AM
just to quiet the HBK/Flair argument...it was offered to Flair for them to go on last and he declined. we cant just assume a title match is guaranteed to go last.

LT and Bam Bam anyone?

The Franchise
02-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Either way, it will either be Taker/Michaels or Cena/Batista which means Edge -- the Rumble winner will most likely not be in the "Main Event"

Fourth time in the last five years the Rumble winner doesn't main event WM. I'm not sure if they still say "The winner goes to the main-event of WM" at the RR but if they still do, they should just say "The winner faces a World Champion" at WM

Fox
02-27-2010, 02:10 AM

WM XI: HBK won the Rumble and challenged Diesel for the WWF Title, but Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow went on last.

WM 22: Rey Mysterio won the Rumble and fought for the World Title in the third to last match of the night, defeating Orton and Angle.

WM 24: Cena won the Rumble and even though he cashed in his title shot at NWO, he still got a title match at WM, but it was the third to last match on the card.

It's not a long history of the Rumble winner not getting the main event, but I can definitely see them swapping Edge/Jericho's main event spot for Cena/Batista, as that is the "bigger match."

Undertaker and HBK will not main event WrestleMania. It is the selling point of the show, but ever since WrestleMania XI, it seems like they've been very adamant about putting a World title match on last. WM 18 is a perfect example. The obvious main event was Rock vs. Hogan. Everything after that match, including the Jericho/HHH main event, was an after-thought. Same thing last year with HBK/Undertaker, and arguably the same thing at WrestleMania 21 with HBK/Angle.

While I think it's the smart move to put HBK/Undertaker on last at WM 26, I don't think it's going to happen. The WWE doesn't care that their match is "the draw." Once the ticket or the PPV is purchased, the fan is sold and will watch the event regardless of which match goes on last.

The MAC
02-27-2010, 03:34 AM
bret hart vs vince will be last cus if bret dies in the ring they wont have the problem of whether or not to continue with the rest of the show

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2010, 03:48 AM
WM XI: HBK won the Rumble and challenged Diesel for the WWF Title, but Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow went on last.

WM 22: Rey Mysterio won the Rumble and fought for the World Title in the third to last match of the night, defeating Orton and Angle.

WM 24: Cena won the Rumble and even though he cashed in his title shot at NWO, he still got a title match at WM, but it was the third to last match on the card.

It's not a long history of the Rumble winner not getting the main event, but I can definitely see them swapping Edge/Jericho's main event spot for Cena/Batista, as that is the "bigger match."

Undertaker and HBK will not main event WrestleMania. It is the selling point of the show, but ever since WrestleMania XI, it seems like they've been very adamant about putting a World title match on last. WM 18 is a perfect example. The obvious main event was Rock vs. Hogan. Everything after that match, including the Jericho/HHH main event, was an after-thought. Same thing last year with HBK/Undertaker, and arguably the same thing at WrestleMania 21 with HBK/Angle.

While I think it's the smart move to put HBK/Undertaker on last at WM 26, I don't think it's going to happen. The WWE doesn't care that their match is "the draw." Once the ticket or the PPV is purchased, the fan is sold and will watch the event regardless of which match goes on last.

WrestleMania 23 also had John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels as the main event, even though The Undertaker won the Royal Rumble and was challenging Batista, I believe. Since the brand split, we've gotten Brock Lesnar, Chris Benoit, Batista and Randy Orton as the Royal Rumble Winners who have gone on to the main event. Rey Mysterio, The Undertaker and John Cena have not.

I guess the question becomes "why not?" Well, the WWE pretty much fucked up Rey Mysterio in 2006 all over. But Eddie Guerrero's death left a sour taste in everyone's mouth as they pushed Rey. It's not that he wouldn't have gotten a push to the main event eventually, but they really didn't trust in Rey. His Rumble win didn't even close the January PPV. Mark Henry did.

I seem to recall the WWE not thinking that The Undertaker and Batista would have a great match at WrestleMania? I think that was one of the reasons they were bumped down. They, of course, surprised. I think the WWE expected John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels to be a classic, but their great match took place on the RAW in England afterwards. A combination of doubt in The Undertaker and Batista, and false hope in Shawn Michaels and John Cena let down that one. In John Cena's case, he had already cashed in his Rumble title shot at No Way Out, and although I expected his match to headline, I guess the WWE didn't want to do another Triple Threat to close.

Usually there is some sort of reason the Royal Rumble Winner doesn't close, and that reason is usually pretty stupid. I still hope that Jericho vs. Edge is allowed to be the last match on the card.

Fignuts
02-27-2010, 04:43 AM
If they learned a god damn thing from Rock vs Hogan, they'll put Michaels vs Taker on last.

People were leaving Wrestlemania during Triple H vs Jericho, because they were just too emotionally drained to care.

Tazz Dan
02-27-2010, 05:20 AM
The one thing I've noticed in both Jericho and Edge's promos recently is that both of them have stated numerous times that they are going to Wrestlemania, but I don't recall either stating they will 'main event'.

Tazz Dan
02-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Which does upset me, for the record.

Loose Cannon
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
I actually think the storyline hurts The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels' as a headliner. That and it is not for a title. If HBK had won the Royal Rumble, then by all means it should close. But without a title and because either Taker fans or HBK fans are going to be bummed after the match, I think it goes on earlier in the night.

Many don't think it will, and I can understand why; but I hope that they just say "fuck it" and have Chris Jericho vs. Edge headline. It makes the most sense to me. Edge won the Royal Rumble, and historically that means nothing, but they went back to the Royal Rumble Winner gettting their title shot last year. It makes that event mean more, and it makes Jericho winning the World Heavyweight Title mean more, and it gives Edge the closing moment of WrestleMania. If the WWE wants him to connect with crowds -- this is the best way to do it.

The WWE often goes unpredictable with what they choose to close the show. I was shocked when The Undertaker and Edge got to do it at WrestleMania XXIV. I was sure the Triple Threat would close, with Cena's return from injury being the great story. Instead it was The Undertaker's random title win.

I disagree with this completely. Come on Noid, think for a second. Would you rather close the show to something that has happened multiple times in the past (Edge or Cena winning the title) or would you rather close to show to something that has yet to happen?

Yes, the crowds will be split going into the match, but if you book this right, this thing closes with every single person in that arena, including the entire WWE roster, giving a standing ovation to Taker. And I am assuming HBK wins of course. If HBK isn't winning, then this match doesn't have to be last like I said.

Again assuming HBK wins, you book the match like last time. back and forth until Michales pulls one out in the bottom of the 9th. Then there's going to be that few moments where everything is setting in that holy shit, Taker just lost. the announcers have to play this off. You put Taker in the center of that ring with the look of disdain. One by one the crowd starts to clap and chant Taker Taker Taker until it gets louder and louder. HBK then comes back in the ring and there's that pause, but they shake hands, hug and HBK holds up Taker' hands. Hell, I'd make this a WM 10 moment and have a bunch of guys come in (including Bret) to shake Taker's hand. You make this thing sort of like Taker's swan song on the biggest stage of them all. HBK adds one more title to his trophey case, Taker gets his ultimate Mania moment and the crowd goes home happy.

That's how you close a Wrestlemania

Loose Cannon
02-27-2010, 08:44 AM
and if the outcome is going to be Taker winning, you use Fignuts' idea of that being the motivation for HBK to turn full fledge heel.

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I actually don't like that as a close to WrestleMania. Sorry, but I just don't. I'd rather close Mania with a "show must go on" moment. You can still do the dramatic "Holy shit! We have just seen history" stuff, but I think it makes the night more epic if you still have World Title matches coming up.

People are no doubt going to order Mania for the historic moment, but as sentimental favourites, I don't think people want to see The Undertaker lose at Mania or Shawn Michaels retire. It's not a great moment for either man (even if it becomes a beautiful one, as cheesy as that sounds), and I think ending the show like that could piss people off. To some people, wrestling might feel like it has finished.

Edge and Jericho have each only closed out one WrestleMania. It'd also be the first time Edge was challenging as a hero for the World Title at the event. There's also something "fresh" about the match to me. Maybe it's because as far as WrestleMania main eventers go, they are two of the less frequent presences. I mean, to find a WrestleMania main event that did not feature Triple H, The Undertaker or John Cena, you have to go back nine years to WrestleMania X-7.

The WWE is also looking to create new stars. Now while Edge and Jericho aren't "new" by any stretch of the imagination, as far as headlining the big show goes, they are. In some ways, I think this could represent the beginning of a new era that The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels closes.

Evil Vito
02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
I mean, to find a WrestleMania main event that did not feature Triple H, The Undertaker or John Cena, you have to go back nine years to WrestleMania X-7.

<font color=goldenrod>WrestleMania 19, Lesnar vs. Angle. But anyway, I do see your point. But I don't think there's any doubt that one of the two matches on the poll will be ending the show.

Me personally, even though I have absolutely no doubt that Jericho/Edge and Cena/Batista could put on a great match in a big spot, I'm not sure I would be able to bring myself to care about either match if they came after the epic Taker/HBK clash. That certainly was the case last year. I ordered the show but barely watched the two title matches after HBK/Taker. I figured I'd already gotten my money's worth I had to re-watch those two title matches the next day to give them a fair grade.

For what it's worth, Triple H himself said "There was no way in hell I could follow that" and he was in the main event. I just feel like they might be closing the show with it this time. Perfect "Last Hurrah" for both men, if nothing else.</font>

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2010, 10:31 AM
<font color=goldenrod>WrestleMania 19, Lesnar vs. Angle. But anyway, I do see your point. But I don't think there's any doubt that one of the two matches on the poll will be ending the show.

Me personally, even though I have absolutely no doubt that Jericho/Edge and Cena/Batista could put on a great match in a big spot, I'm not sure I would be able to bring myself to care about either match if they came after the epic Taker/HBK clash. That certainly was the case last year. I ordered the show but barely watched the two title matches after HBK/Taker. I figured I'd already gotten my money's worth I had to re-watch those two title matches the next day to give them a fair grade.

For what it's worth, Triple H himself said "There was no way in hell I could follow that" and he was in the main event. I just feel like they might be closing the show with it this time. Perfect "Last Hurrah" for both men, if nothing else.</font>

You're right, I forgot about Lesnar and Angle. My bad.

I dunno. I just feel like I would care less about the other matches if they weren't given main event treatment.

Jeritron
02-28-2010, 09:08 AM
We're looking at this as involved wrestling fans, though.

To casual fans, and the main fanbase, Cena/Batista is a huge match. It's probably the biggest match since Hogan/Rock.

I know some people are going to come at me for saying this. It's not me saying it's a big deal to me personally, or the "best" match since then. I'm just looking at the big picture.
It's a massive match, it's for the WWE title, and it's likely going to involve Bret Hart, which is their big schtick at the moment.

It's going on last, and it's going to draw big for them.

Undertaker/Shawn Michaels is very big for the fans. For the casuals, and the mainstream, the streak isn't nearly as sacred, nor is the in-ring ability issue. Perhaps most importantly, it's a rematch of a match that happened last year (which didn't close the show). I don't think there's any reason to believe it will close the show this year.
It has the title-belt business working against it too.

You can tell this just from watching the programming week in week out. The build for Cena/Batista has taken top billing.

The only way I think Shawn/Taker has a chance of closing the show out is if they plan to snap the streak, or are actually serious about this being Shawn's last match.
I don't think it will mark either of those events. I think it's a gimmick to keep us guessing and on the edge of our seats again.

ImpactPlayer365
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Pretty sure Stiker reitterated that the World Title with Edge vs Jericho would be the Main Event on Smackdown.

James Steele
02-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Pretty sure Stiker reitterated that the World Title with Edge vs Jericho would be the Main Event on Smackdown.

It is the SmackDown! main event.

Evil Vito
02-28-2010, 02:17 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I really wish I could re-live Taker/HBK from last year live again. That had been the first time in 5 years (Benoit/HHH/HBK at WM20) that I was COMPLETELY 100% hooked in and my disbelief was totally suspended.

I went into the match thinking Taker would win, then midway through they had me thinking HOLY SHIT TAKER'S GONNA LOSE.

Out of all the great moments in that match, I think my favorite was when Taker very nearly got counted out. He stood up outside the ring at the count of 9, then fell down again and crawled into the ring at like 9.9 seconds. My heart nearly skipped a beat.</font>

Xero
02-28-2010, 02:22 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I really wish I could re-live Taker/HBK from last year live again. That had been the first time in 5 years (Benoit/HHH/HBK at WM20) that I was COMPLETELY 100% hooked in and my disbelief was totally suspended.

I went into the match thinking Taker would win, then midway through they had me thinking HOLY SHIT TAKER'S GONNA LOSE.

Out of all the great moments in that match, I think my favorite was when Taker very nearly got counted out. He stood up outside the ring at the count of 9, then fell down again and crawled into the ring at like 9.9 seconds. My heart nearly skipped a beat.</font>

Me too. The moment that "holy shit Taker might lose" kicked in for me was when Taker hit the Tombstone after the Shawn skinned the cat. Honestly bought that as the finish.

The match was perfect. If they even MATCH it this year I'll be amazed.

And I'll be honestly going into this with more skepticism in Taker winning than I have in years. It's always been "yeah, there's that 'chance' Taker could lose but I know it won't happen" feeling. Now, it's "there's a small but very possible chance Taker could lose". When wrestling has the mark in me coming out and I'm not being as pessimistic as I usually am, they're doing something right.

James Steele
02-28-2010, 02:24 PM
I actually hope they give them more time this year.

Xero
02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Give them an hour.

:drool:

BillyBonez
02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Because the Taker's Streak ends at Mania, WWE should do the match as the last one on the card so that Taker can have his streak end be forever remembered as a Wrestlemania moment.

St. Jimmy
02-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Edge and Jericho flat out won't WANT to go after Shawn/Taker, and Bats and Cena sure as hell shouldn't go after them either. Ideally it should be

Cena/Bats
Women's Belt
Jericho/Edge
Women's Belt
Taker/Shawn

in that order descending.

thedamndest
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
What's on second.

St. Jimmy
02-28-2010, 07:36 PM
What's on first, Who's on second.

James Steele
02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
(In order from Main Event to opening match):

Career vs The Streak: Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels
World Heavyweight Championship: Edge vs Chris Jericho(c)
WWE Championship: John Cena (w/ Bret Hart) vs Batista(c) (w/ Vince McMahon)
Randy Orton vs Ted DiBiase vs Cody Rhodes
Hall of Fame Class of 2010 Introductions
Triple H vs Sheamus ( :nono: )
Intercontinental Championship: Drew McIntyre vs John Morrison vs R-Truth
Hair vs Mask: CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio
Money In The Bank: Christian vs Dolph Ziggler vs Kane vs Shelton Benjamin vs Evan Bourne vs MVP vs Kofi Kingston vs Matt Hardy
**Unified Tag Team Championship: Cryme Tyme vs Big Show/The Miz (c)

(I dunno if they would have time for this match, so it might be a WWE.com bullshit or something but it seems like they are going to have to put ShowMiz on the card somewhere...)

Theo Dious
02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I mean, to find a WrestleMania main event that did not feature Triple H, The Undertaker or John Cena, you have to go back nine years to WrestleMania X-7.

<font color=goldenrod>WrestleMania 19, Lesnar vs. Angle.</font>

Kind of as an aside... I wonder if the fact that their up-and-coming golden boy botched the finish and left the company a year later has anything to do with why they've kept such reliable guys in the ME since then.

James Steele
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Kind of as an aside... I wonder if the fact that their up-and-coming golden boy botched the finish and left the company a year later has anything to do with why they've kept such reliable guys in the ME since then.

I'd imagine so, they put everything into Brock Lesnar and when he left...WWE was fucked and rushed Cena and Orton into spots they weren't ready for.

Jeritron
02-28-2010, 08:04 PM
No doubt about that. Cena and Orton were so primed for success in 2004. They were favorites of all kinds of fans.

They should have been brought into the scene slowly, and against guys like Lesnar. That really would have made them, and defined the generation more clearly. Instead, it sort of treaded water as a bastardized mix between the aftermath of the attitude era and some new direction they wanted to go but couldn't decide on.

I think Lesnar vs HHH would have main evented Wrestlemania 21 for sure. That would have been great. Cena and Orton could have worked elsewhere high on the card without being champions yet. Orton/Taker would have still worked at this juncture. It would have been even better had Orton not been healing from a mess of a title push in the fall.

Cena could still be running the table as an extremely over US champion, or even working with a veteran. Eddie comes to mind at that time.
After that, I think Wrestlemania 22 would have been the place to elevate Cena or Orton permenantly. The other would follow suit.

Jeritron
02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I think a better handled young main event would have been good for Edge at that time too.

Nicky Fives
02-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Cena/Batista will be the main event, even though it should be Taker/Michaels

redoneja
02-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Take note of last year, nothing is topping HBK vs. Taker

This is pretty much how I feel. I know it's 'tradition' to have the title match go on last, but whatever goes on after Taker/Michaels is going to suffer majorly.

Just like HHH/Jericho suffered after Rock/Hogan and how HHH/Orton suffered after Michaels/Taker last year.

Really, the only time I can think of that a title match didn't suffer after a huge undercard match was Wrestlemania 24 when Edge/Taker stole the show from HBK/Flair, even though the Flair match is obviously more remembered.

Xero
03-02-2010, 12:18 AM
From JR's Twitter: WM26 build hitting its stride. Hitman-McMahon match once in a life time attraction. UTaker-HBK announcers dream. Gotta close show, right?

Even he's suggesting Taker/HBK should be last.

James Steele
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope that means JR is at WrestleMania! BAH GAWD!

Rammsteinmad
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
IMO, Jericho and Edge should go last, as Edge won the Rumble. Also as someone said above somewhere, they're both 'fresh' when it comes to main eventing Wrestlemania. I wanna see it.

Jeritron
03-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Edge has main evented the show more recently than Batista has.

Mr. C
03-07-2010, 12:26 AM
I’m voting for Batista/John Cena, as it’s hot and has been booked well so far on a lot of emotion that’s grounded in reality, which is something Randy Orton/Triple-H got away from last year. I have more faith in Batista/Cena than I did Orton/HHH.

Putting Shawn Michaels/The Undertaker a match or two before the end gives us time to let sink in what just happened, whether it be Michaels’ career being over or the streak ending, but if their match is in the middle of show, Undertaker is going to win.

Heyman
03-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Batista and Cena should go last. They are the two biggest stars in the WWE, and they should go on last as a result. The World or WWE title looks like a job if neither title match goes on last (and hence - Taker/HBK should not go last as result).

After HBK/Taker and Cena/Batista, there is too much of a risk of the crowd being dead for Edge/Jericho (i.e. think back to 2002 when HHH/Jericho followed Rock/Hogan). As much as TPWW'ers love Edge, he simply isn't over enough as a face to warrant going on last.

The Show Off
03-07-2010, 02:36 AM
HBK/Taker will most likely be a 25 to 30 minute match. I just hope the WWE gives another match 25 to 30 minutes to someone else can have a shot to take match of the night. I honestly think if the WWE really gave Edge/Jericho 25 to 30 minutes they could put on a better match than HBK/Taker. But odds are Jericho/Edge will get like 15 to 20 minutes which simply isn't enough time to top HBK/Taker.

HBK/Taker will be match of the night, I just hope the give their other talent the time out there to take that spot light. Last year Orton/HHH failed to come close. The should give Jericho and Edge a chance to put on a show, to prove that when Shawn is gone their will still be wrestlers that can be showstoppers.

Mr Amazing
03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
It should go last so whoever loses gets he send off they deserve specially if its taker

wehavebensavedy2j
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
When it was HBK vs Flair, we all knew Flair would lose and retire but unless its a given HBK will retire then it shouldn't be last... I think its the match that will make the whole show so having it last will realize its the biggest match and not sure who will win because there is so much on the line