PDA

View Full Version : John Cena - not so bad

SupaNovaHBK
02-27-2010, 02:45 AM
John Cena isnt so bad. i dont mind john cena matches, or the wrestler himself.

how often can you enjoy hating someone so much? right next to a group of people who love him? which current or former wrestler has been able to generate so much heat and so much fanfare then this man. his matches always garner interest for better or worse. and lets face it, on the mic, his pretty good. he can wrestle, albeit not the best. I have to say, my mood changes on Cena week to week. one week i cant stand him and booing him, the next im cheering for him.

i suppose this is one of those moments where i think his not so bad

Juan
02-27-2010, 02:48 AM
He's alright, but that 2005-2007 Superman reign kind of soured him for me forever. One of the only times I ever considered stopping watching WWE.

The Franchise
02-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Cena himself isn't so bad but it's his superhuman booking since 2005 that people hate. Cena is actually pretty talented (on the mic at least) like during his rapper days in 2003. He's also capable of having good matches with the right opponent (Edge @ SummerSlam 2006, HBK in April 07 etc) and even with people you wouldnt expect him to have a great matches with (Umaga at Royal Rumble 2007). Plus Cena is like the best company man ever

I don't mind him that much anymore. It was cool to hate Cena in 2006 and 2007 because honestly he was pretty bad and lazy at that time with his promos (remember the Jericho feud) but 2007 and onwards he has had some good matches and good feuds its just the booking team that is making him annoying. I think a heel turn is overdue

The Franchise
02-27-2010, 02:51 AM
He's alright, but that 2005-2007 Superman reign kind of soured him for me forever. One of the only times I ever considered stopping watching WWE.

2005 was brutal. Him and Batista with their superhuman reigns were just horrible. Also the ridiculously long Orton/Taker feud. The only thing that makes me not hate that year with a passion is how incredibly good Eddie Guerrero was

Wishbone
02-27-2010, 03:56 AM
truthfully cheering Cena is kind of a guilty pleasure for me I mean it sickens me that he's always booked so unstopable but also it kinda takes me back to my care free youth of cheering my head off as a Hulkamaniac and Cena the man seems like a really cool guy which makes it hard to hate his character. plus it's kinda nice that kids have someone to look up to in the wrestling industry I mean adults may hate him but if you really think about it when we were kids we loved guys like Cena.

Fignuts
02-27-2010, 04:40 AM
I find that Cena is at his best at the tail end of a feud. His promos are a lot more emotional, and powerful. And the matches are actually pretty good.

Wolfpack423
02-27-2010, 08:37 AM

I'm in the minority because that's my favorite time period for him. My two favorite Cena moments to date are winning the 2008 Royal Rumble (I was there and I was able to witness his biggest pop) and John Cena winning and making HHH tap at WM22 even through the boos and I was the only one cheering for him. Ehh, I'll just do my top five Cena moments 3. TLC III vs. Edge that's one of my favorite title matches. Cena vs. Edge is one of my favorite feuds ever, they fed off each other well and Cena helped Edge become a truly credible main eventer while Edge helped Cena to become a bigger household name, 4. John Cena drafted to RAW in 2005, I just think he is better in a live environment and I liked the promo on the Highlight Reel between him and Christian, 5. John Cena and Shawn Michaels defeat Rated RKO for the tag team titles.

KIRA
02-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I thought about this alot and in truth it is hard to hate a guy who seems like a good person just doing his job no ego no complaining much like The Undertaker hes just doing what hes told and enjoying what he does, That being said in recent months Ive enjoyed him and as was stated previously its more the booking team that made Cena suck than Cena himself,These past weeks his promos have honestly been good
and havent seemed so forced and corny and his matches have been good and a bit more unpredictable.

Xero
02-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Respect the man immensely, hate the character.

And I don't subscribe to the "Cena Can't Wrestle" bullshit (though if I'm in hardcore smark mode I'll bring it up). A vast majority of his matches sucks, but that's because of the gimmick, not his ability.

Stickman
02-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Cena carries the Hulkamania effect for the current little kids.

GD
02-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Respect the man immensely, hate the character.

And I don't subscribe to the "Cena Can't Wrestle" bullshit (though if I'm in hardcore smark mode I'll bring it up). A vast majority of his matches sucks, but that's because of the gimmick, not his ability.

:y:

RVDmark
02-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Its a bit odd for me. I really like Cena as a person (or the way I percieve him as a person), but I dont like his gimmick (more to the point, the way his gimmick stifles his abilities).

In contrast I dont like Randy Orton as a person from what I have read, But, his gimmick really works well for him.

St. Jimmy
02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
JBL IS A POOPY!!!

Xero
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JmcVW1FyfjE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JmcVW1FyfjE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Vastardikai
02-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't necessarily hate Cena. My issue, like most of the above, is the booking.

Spoiler: Cena Wins is not a good thing.

GD
02-27-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm kinda loving the whole Cena-Batista build up for Mania. I loved the first singles match they wrestled at Summerslam. Maybe it was due to the electric atmosphere in my hostel room.

Rammsteinmad
02-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't hate Cena, I just don't really like him.

He can have some good matches, but any time he's involved in a Title match I find myself cheering for his opponent.

Xero
02-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Umaga vs Cena is easily his best match.

I technically put RVD vs Cena above that, but I consider that the crowd made the match.

St. Jimmy
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
John Cena - slightly less worse than AIDs

Emperor Smeat
02-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Hate him as a character more because of how he's been booked and how RAW basically went from a Triple H dominated show in the early Brand Split to a Cena dominated show the last few years. Cena could have been better at selling moves and put more effort into promos and matches so its not entirely the booking or Vince's fault.

To be fair, he has been getting better in both promos and match quality recently since he needs to help sell his feud to generate the interest for the Wrestlemania match.

jerichoholicninja
02-27-2010, 09:58 PM
The way he's booked is so terribly boring and for a while he was so pandering to children it was disgusting. "JBL is poopy" almost made me give up on wrestling. Possibly the worst moment in Raw in recent years.

Sovereigntywillpr
02-28-2010, 08:28 PM
truthfully cheering Cena is kind of a guilty pleasure for me I mean it sickens me that he's always booked so unstopable but also it kinda takes me back to my care free youth of cheering my head off as a Hulkamaniac and Cena the man seems like a really cool guy which makes it hard to hate his character. plus it's kinda nice that kids have someone to look up to in the wrestling industry I mean adults may hate him but if you really think about it when we were kids we loved guys like Cena.

That...

As much as you want to hate the guy, you either can't or you end up enjoying hating him, he seems like a company man and is only in the position he is cause he's put there, we haven't seen him pull some of HBKs early BS.

I just wonder if 10 years down the line he will be less willing to give up t'he spot he has worked so hard for (assuming he is still wrestling_)

CSL
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
John Cena is the man.

Jeritron
02-28-2010, 08:37 PM
When I drafted John Cena in the WWE Pool (#1), it was one of the greatest moments in the history of our sport

CSL
02-28-2010, 08:38 PM
SWERVE